What's new

Silent Cab Ventilation/Scrubber Design

Barnt

To start off, I first grew in a computer using a 70w hps and then in my current 150w hps cab. Ever since I've been growing I have been thinking of different and better ventilation options. I have designed somewhere around 10 different setups trying to incorporate carbon and a small Lasko squirrel cage fan. Some worked and some didn't.

My last design was to have the fan inside the box sucking through a cool tube and then pushing it outside the box in a 4" line and then into a 6" x 16" custom carbon scrubber. It was my best design for airflow and smell removal. The problem was too much restriction. The air was restricted in the following: 4" cooltube, bend in airflow from the exhaust to 90 degrees left into the exhaust line, and the biggest was pushing the air through a scrubber.

Fans are much more efficient at sucking through restrictions than blowing through them.

The other major flaw was that my intake was on the floor, and my carbon scrubber was also sitting on the floor. Some exhaust was getting in my intake even though I had sectioned off my closet to try and make a path of cool air to the intake. The only way to fix this is to intake at the floor and exhaust at the top up and away from the intake.

My other huge requirement is silent. I'm not talking about quiet so you don't hear it when the door is closed. I live with roomates that don't know I grow and I need to keep it that way. The closet can't make any noises.

The new design basically uses a horizontal screen to hold a bed of carbon. I have a little less surface area to diffuse the air through vs my 6" scrubber (240in squared vs 301in squared) but that doesn't seem to be a problem. Just above this I have my lasko fan on low hanging by rubber bands with a 1" foam tunnel on the exhaust to muffle the noise.

On low it is silent. All I can hear are the other fans on for circulation. On high it can be heard, but I haven't insulated the inside with foam as I've done before. The temps seem to be hovering 3F above ambient and I haven't hooked up the fan yet to blow across the bulb. As for the smell, I can only imagine that it will be removed as I used all the carbon from the scrubber and put it in my new setup.

The only thing I might do differently is to add a few more supports holding the screen up. In fact, I still might do this.

Enough! How about some pictures?

The old:

The new:

Screen:

Starting to add the carbon...

Almost done. Just need the last piece or cardboard to make the fan suck through the carbon.

Done.

Here is a picture of the back of the cab. The thing sticking out on top is the exhaust that is connected to the fan. I then put more foam curving up to make all the hot air go up the wall vs down and into the intake. It probably helps with sound too.

Last edited:

Barnt

Figured I'd post some of my other setups. So much time spent. Not wasted though, I learned a lot and made many improvements. Hopefully others can use what I've learned.

This one I tried just last week. I used 4 120mm fans to blow into a bed of carbon. It moved very little air and the fans didn't cool since they were fighting. Using my temp gun I found their motors were 130F. Not too hot, but I've never felt one warm before and these were almost hot. Temps were never good either. I probably could have improved this setup by moving the screen to the bottom and the fans to the top so they suck instead of push. Instead I figured my lasko fan was a better bet at being quieter (being able to put the foam tunnel on the end to quiet the exhaust) and also more powerful.

Last edited:

Hans Blix

Barnt said:
[...]
My other huge requirement is silent. I'm not talking about quiet so you don't hear it when the door is closed. I live with roomates that don't know I grow and I need to keep it that way. The closet can't make any noises.
[...]
Interesting. I'm very fond of silent setups. Could you give a link to the details of your Lasko fan?

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Awesome!

Thank you so much for sharing with all of this Barnt

I was thinking about using dark room louvers as well and hell, I think I might just attempt to copy your whole setup as much as possible :)

Looks like you needed two of the 8x8s though huh?
(These ones: http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Darkroom-Light-Tight-Louvers/dp/B0000A5A8I)

I've always been telling myself that I need to purchase a professional carbon filter, but I think I'll give this method a try. Even if you had to change the carbon out once every 2 weeks it is not like it is that expensive or too much of a hassle.

Thanks again!

Barnt

Yup, those are the right louvers catman. I used 2 because with one it would suck the door shut meaning that the intake was restrictive. Now with 2, the door isn't pulled meaning the fan isn't being strained at all.

No need to change the carbon that often. This is the same carbon that I used on 2 previous grows and no smell still. I would imagine even stirring it up if smells started coming through would re-distribute the used carbon and make it last longer.

Barnt

I use a magnetic child lock to secure the door. Very discrete. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Magnetic-TOT-LOCK-Xtra-Key-Child-Baby-Safety...

I then lined the door with weather stripping on the door. This provides a little cushion when the door is pushed closed. I made the latch for the safety lock engage after the door is physically pressed in compressing the weather stripping. Keeps the door light tight and locked.

Of course if someone really wanted to get in, its only a little bit of plastic and 2 screws stopping them...

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I bought those safety locks but never installed them, I didn't have the drill stopper thing so wasn't too confident in my installing ability. How was it to install, and how did you go about getting a good fit?

Barnt

Mine came with a sticker that you put on the door and mark the holes. Once you did one side you closed the door and it stuck to the other side which lined up the holes so the two parts meet when installed.

The only problems I had installing it were I had too small of a drill bit so I had to wobble the drill to make the hole bigger until it fit. I also ran into my door being too skinny to drill as deep as they wanted. I ended up filing the metal part that gets inserted into the door (so the magnet unlocks the door from the outside) to make it shallower until it was flush with the door.

As for depth I just used a piece of tape wrapped around the drill bit to know how deep I went. I made sure not to go get closer than 1/8" of the other side so I didn't have any problems.

The piece installed in the cabinet that holds the latch is adjustable once installed. It can be moved in and out about 1/8" to make the fit just right.

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hey Barnt,

I see your girls are beyond 3 weeks into flower and I just wanted to check in and see how your odor/temperatures are doing!

I've been continuously googling my brains out searching for good ideas for cabs and I think I'm finally sold on copying pretty much everything you have done.

What are the dimensions of your cab? Did you get it from lowes, home depot, etc?

Where did you get the screen?

Did you just use a saber saw to cut the holes for intake/exhaust?

Thanks!

-catman

Barnt

Just checked up on this thread as I forgot about it, so lets get to the questions.

Catman: Temps get about 7F above ambient at canopy level. I use a infrared thermal temp gun to get accurate results. Temps with lights on are usually in the high 70's range. I did also install a 1/8" thick piece of plexiglass 2 inches below the light to help section the light off. Above the plastic it is always 5F or more higher than below.

I know what you guys are going to say, I shouldn't use plastic. And that is correct. Without a fan the plastic got hot and started to warp. I've got a fan on it now which fixes the problem, but if the fan was to fail there would be some issues...Next round I'm gonna pick up 1/16" of glass so heat won't be an issue.

I bought the cab from Home Depot for $50. I wish now that I would have went to thrift stores and found something cheaper and more like a dresser. I think a dresser would be more stealth because no one wants to see socks and undies, vs, whats in that cabinet? My cab is 23" wide, 18" deep, 35" tall. The back of the cabinet is made of 1/8" tagboard, so I was able to use a razor to cut the intakes/exhaust. The tagboard is one reason why I have issues with sound though, its too skinny and lets the noise from my circulation fans come through the back.

The screen can be found homedepot/lowes. Its just screen door replacement.

OahuGrown: The fan isn't super strong, but its strong enough for my use. I think its rated at 200cfm or so, but obviously its a little lower under load. The fan you linked probably has the same internals as mine, it just has a different housing than mine. It should work fine.

Here's a few week 8 buds

img4880cseh4.jpg

img4883csfw6.jpg

Last edited:
G

Great thread, very informative about silencing techniques, and those child locks look like a great investment! A lock that's barely visible? Awesome!

Great grow, too, congrats on your success.

Thanks for your help! :headbange
~Aes

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hey Barndt, I've got one of those little Lasko's. It is so quiet I can't hear anything but the air flow. The quietest fan I ever used. I upgraded to a 95CFM Hydrofarm blower and pretty much destroyed my stealth. In my old cab I used one side of the Lasko as cab exhaust and the other side as a cool tube exhaust.

gdbud

I did also install a 1/8" thick piece of plexiglass 2 inches below the light to help section the light off. Above the plastic it is always 5F or more higher than below.

I know what you guys are going to say, I shouldn't use plastic. And that is correct. Without a fan the plastic got hot and started to warp. I've got a fan on it now which fixes the problem, but if the fan was to fail there would be some issues...http://www.prothermostats.com/product.php?product=171673