What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side grow. 630 CMH vs 1000HPS

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Hammerhead mentioned he runs Growers Choice fixtures. Hes trying a Master Pursuit 1000W fixture they offer currently that uses 2 500w CMH bulbs, they also have double ended 1000w CMH. The 3k-R enhanced red bulbs have a great spectrum also.

Hey chunky do you run these yourself?? Ive been checking out the website but they always seem to be sold out. Thought I would ask you before I go ebay and alibaba aliexpress hunting. What can you speak on regarding these lights? Thanks for sharing .

I personally have been running ceramic solutions bulbs and ballasts for over a year. Full disclosure, I tested the first bulbs and ballasts for free then bought more bulbs and ballasts put of pocket. I have seen the highest gpw grows I've ever ran with these lights. Best run was 4 plants under 1 light and I got 1065g from running the 630 on the 700w setting. The grow is in my signature of you want to see how the lights and plants performed. These lights are no bullshit snake oil. Cost per performance is u equaled in my humble opinion. If there was a better option for my garden I would be using it instead.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
1000 watt cmh ballast and bulbs are available now, been running them for a year now. Runs cooler, and some plants come off as much as a week earlier.

I've got a couple Nanolux 4K 1000 DE CMHs and I'm super pleased at the quality of the flowers and coverage!

Hey chunky do you run these yourself?? Ive been checking out the website but they always seem to be sold out. Thought I would ask you before I go ebay and alibaba aliexpress hunting. What can you speak on regarding these lights? Thanks for sharing .

I have generic Chinese crap de cmh 630 bulb in a Gavita flex and it has run over two cycles now turned up and down fine.

Quality of flower is amazing and the high frequency ballast doesn't seem to be a thing, I'm not looking for 60,000 hours of use, happy to get three runs and the extra will be gravy.:biggrin:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
just finished my grow ... 6plants in a 4x3.5ft tent with 2 315's cmh with philips bulbs - 1st impression is that 2 315's is not up to par with my 1 1000w hps/mh... will have a final tab of the quantity in a week/two, but by the 'eye' looks to be 75%...

if i find a way to deal with the heat, i'm going back to the 1000watter

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im currently testing out sunmasters bulbs in mixed spectrum in each overhead. One full nova and one full nova wx per light. One is 3k and one is like 3800k.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
i've been wanting to run the 630 "mixed" with a 4k and a 3kr. would seem to be monster mixed spectrum.

Thats what hammerhead is doing currently with the dual 500W bulb fixtures and is pleased with the results:

All growers choice lights are killer. I'm getting the same results I got with the DE 630's. I have not cranked them up to 1kw yet. Its to hot right now. I wont see much. Might get some bigger yields. I like running dual spectrum. You cant do that with the DE 630's. Ive been running there lights for a very long time(4 years?). The bulbs used in MASTER PURSUIT are PGZ 500w x2. They look identical to the 315w PGZ bulbs with a larger arc tube. They are the only vendor making these bulbs im aware of. All the bulbs I use are 4k/3k-r in ea hoods. Every pic I post was grown under there lights. Very Happy with the results.:tiphat:

anon710

couldn't agree more. I've been on IC for a long time. I have to say Issack's thread is 1 of the best if not the best side by side comparisons I have ever seen.

And that room :smokey:

much agreed, you do not see it done this well often. I think most of people hate on CMH when they give them ago because their rooms are not dialed in and they do not grasp you have to grow slightly different than under 1k hps to get the same yields.

Cmoon

Hey all.. I wanted to share this side by side grow to more of the audience in this forum. My thread in the grow diaries " 8k coco grow show" is rather huge, and I think this will tend to get lost and not seen by many on here. I figured this section would be a good one to post this in.

Started this room out with 8 1000w hps lamps.. I've been using HPS for many years and I've been reading the rave reviews on the CMH 630. I am looking for a better quality product in my flowers. So I grabbed 4 of these and am giving it a shot. I am wanting to move away from air-cooled lights and HPS. And have more trics and aroma from my buds.. I hear these are doing just that. So here we are. If I don't get the same yield as the hps I will simply go back to all hps. If I have just a slightly difference in a little bit lower of a yield with better quality, I will end up getting 4 more CMH then.

I do the coco tree's method. Coco DTW with multiple feeds. I'm currently feeding every 4 hours at the moment, and I will end up feeding every 2 hours once they take full root and demand more.
I use mills nutrients with some tweaks, and absolutely love it. This is my 4th grow in this new room. This room is the perfect climate. 48k btu of AC going in here. My temps don't get over 80. Co2 burner set to 1000ppm. Humidity is at 60 at all times. My rez is located outside this room in a shed I built that holds my RO water to flil up my Reservoir. I have a water chiller set to 64 on my water at all times. I never go over 900ppm during the whole grow.

So far the HPS side is producing more squaty plants that are wide. The leaves seem to be bigger as well. The CMH side is thick and the stems and stalks are fat and tough as well. I'm actually very surprised how well the 630s are penetrating. I was thinking I was going to have more larfy branches on the CMH side, but that is not the case..

The strain is pineapple chunk. And she is my biggest yielder in my collection at the moment. This plant is tough, big, and badass. And great smoke.

I will be giving weekly updates and pictures and my feedback all the way to harvest, and also the weight report after trim is done..I'm not on here that much, so I will try and answer as much and fast as I can. Feel free to ask anything you like guys. I like to hear opinions and debates.

You guys can go to my gallery and see my grows in this room and also go check my thread " 8k coco grow show " in grow diaries.

This is 13 days veg under the cmh and hps from clones that were under floros for 2 weeks.. 48 plants. 2 gal smart pots. Every plant is rocking house and doing very well. So far this grow has been spot on.. let's hope it stays that way.. lol

Tomorrow I will start defoliating and stripping branches and stretch my first course of Nets. I'm thinking 7 more days and I will flip 12/12. And obviously you can tell which side is which by the light..

Oh almost forgot. I'm using the Phillips agro full spectrum lamps on the 315s, and hortilux 1000 lamps with raptor hoods on the hps.

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

View Image

great room:tiphat:

picture.php

Day 24

4x10 lighting space. 3x630’s and 160w shop light led for supplements. Consistently pulls 1.7/8 gpw. Beats out my old setup of 2x1000’s in a 5x9 lighting space, 1.2/3gpw

Can’t find Ceramic Solutions units anywhere- seems their website doesn’t exist anymore? Trying to find 630/1000w de cmh fixtures and am having a hell of a time. Any suggestions of where I can find either in stock?

gh0stm0de

Purple, you can always order directly from EBM. They were my supplier. If you would like contact info, you are welcome to shoot me a PM, but beware that fedex/dhl from China is not cheap.

Rurumo

This thread is inspirational. I'm about to embark on my first 630 cmh de grow due in large part to the side by side adventures of issack. LEDs seem to be ever more popular lately, for good reason no doubt, but I just like the light of the CMH better, and feeling the warmth of that tiny sun during a cold winter's day is such a tonic for the soul. I hope Issack is doing well-so many of these good growers seem to have disappeared but at least their legacy lives on in the forums to inspire the rest of us. Good day to you sirs!

Latest posts

Latest posts