What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

SHWG indoor organic grow and raising worms

Well hello there. As I frequent this site more and more (mainly the Bodhi seeds thread) I'm seeing the need to journal a grow or two or ten here. Icmag provided me with lots of the info I used to develop my core growing philosophy. The original ROLS thread was mind blowing to a dude growing TLO style (me). Here we are years later doing the same thing, with good results. I grow mostly Bodhi gear, and some elites, sometimes, namely GSC forum cut and Bruce Banner # 3.

I have a 9'X9' gorilla grow tent for flowering plants and a spare bedroom for vegging plants. My garden has been running perpetual harvests for a while now. It's a lot of work. I daydream of mono cropping a few runs for a change of pace, and greater yield.

I LOVE bodhi gear, if you haven't tried any, why not? It's high time. Your garden, your friends, yourself will thank you.

I found some great keepers from bodhi seed thus far. A keeper of Synergy ( pinequeen X Appalachia)
Sunshine Daydream (bubbashine X Appalachia)
I'm currently hunting through Dream Beaver, Love Triangle, Blueberry Mountain, Electric Cowboy, maybe another I forgot.
Bodhi seeds = Fire!

Next on the list to hunt through will be Bodhi Seeds:
Black Triangle (TK X 88g13/hp)
Secret Chief (SFV OG X 88g13/hp)

I might have to also grab another pack of Electric Cowboy to run through as well. (Larry OG X 88g13/hp) I trouble germinating this pack and only got 2 plants (female) to see. Probably my bad, idk.

I will come thru and post a lot more later... For now here are pics of stuff I grow/am growing:

Siskiyou

Veteran
I will take the seat next to Bmac1 if nobody minds.
Nice lineup to work with there SHWG. I can appreciate that worms are forefront in your journal since my own gardening has become increasingly vermicentric.

Welcome aboard folks! Thanks for following!

Let's keep it real shall we?..

Spider mites, two spotted mites I'm guessing have attacked the veg room, so far targeting seedlings and small clones.

Previously we practiced integrated pest management religiously over here, alternating sprays weekly, regardless of known pest presence or not.

I'm pretty ok with pests in general. Predators eat them after all and everything needs to eat. Since I noticed webbing on some seedlings, damage on some leaves, we are stepping it up. Rotating through spinosad, lavender EO, and neem oil sprays this week. That outta do it.

Resuming weekly preventative IPM sprays.

I'm close to losing my prized synergy clone! Fingers crossed!

@ Siskiyou, vermicentric, I love that term! I make my own killer thermo compost, amend it with all sorts of stuff, once that's completely cycled, it becomes worm food/bedding, then after screening, Killer vermicompost! I use it as a 1/3 of my soil mix.

Buddah Watcha

Veteran
Welcome aboard folks! Thanks for following!

Let's keep it real shall we?..

Spider mites, two spotted mites I'm guessing have attacked the veg room, so far targeting seedlings and small clones.

Previously we practiced integrated pest management religiously over here, alternating sprays weekly, regardless of known pest presence or not.

I'm pretty ok with pests in general. Predators eat them after all and everything needs to eat. Since I noticed webbing on some seedlings, damage on some leaves, we are stepping it up. Rotating through spinosad, lavender EO, and neem oil sprays this week. That outta do it.

Resuming weekly preventative IPM sprays.

I'm close to losing my prized synergy clone! Fingers crossed!

@ Siskiyou, vermicentric, I love that term! I make my own killer thermo compost, amend it with all sorts of stuff, once that's completely cycled, it becomes worm food/bedding, then after screening, Killer vermicompost! I use it as a 1/3 of my soil mix.

predatory mites ftw bro, place an order asap and hopefully they will help you win the fight!

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Ahh yes, beautiful buds :)

I'm looking at bodhi stuff too I really like what I see and what people are posting. He's got so much stuff I would try out in a beat its hard to choose :)

Welcome, welcome!

I'm more into some sprays for the mean time. I am certainly interested in predators, although I've never purchased any. I'll look into it a bit.
I do have some centipedes, rove beetles, hypoasis miles in the garden. When you put the worm bin outside you pick up all sorts of beneficial insects. If we ever got russets here, I'd order a shit load of russet mite specific predators. Those things are fucking scary!!! 2 spotted mites, thrips, aphids aren't too much of a problem. The exact same thing happened last fall. Slacking on the IPM and it's getting cold and pests are looking to come in.

Re: so many Bodhi options, you are totally right! One idea is to study the males he uses (not many) and see what they add to the equation. Then you can select a cross that uses a clone only female you are interested in. For example, I'm noticing the '88G13/hp male X's are putting out serious frost and dense nugs. I love OG's. Secret Cheif (SFV OG X 88g13/hp) looks killer! The Appalachia male makes bad ass crosses too, for sure. Not a huge fan of the snow lotus X's so far... Have some love triangle seedlings (triangle kush X snow lotus) , which will be another try. Id like to try a temple cross sometime, looking at Super Silver Temple for a sativa blast.

I'm trying to dig up some worm pics, although it looks like I deleted them. I can snap and share some freshies later tonight of the current set up

Waxy, welcome dude, SVoC has electric cowboy (Larry) currently, I believe. I just harvested the 1st Electric Cowboy (ec1) today, it was a small "test size" plant. I didn't like its structure in veg and didn't clone. Silly me. ec2 is in flower and looks similar so far, but with better branching. I have a few clones of the ec2. I hope its the digity dank! I'm going to snap a few pics of the EC1 and post em up here.

Electric Cowboy 1. Not smelly. Looks fire though. Was sticky removing fan leaves. Need more stank! Fingers crossed for EC2, in flower.
Looking forward to smoking this one^^ (ec1)
Sure looks potent!

Last edited:
I didn't wanna dig around too much but here are a couple pics of the current set up.
This summer I moved worm bin outside, and back in garage in winter. This set up probably can yield ~ 100gal finished VC annually. The last time we screened and harvested VC we immediately made a new soil mix at the same time. this time I made little effort to separate worms from VC, meaning the new soil mix is already loaded with worms, a good thing. Also our worm herd was maxed out in relation to bin size. So removing lots of worms means many new ones will hatch and fill the void. Freshies. :)

One thing about raising worms, in an arid climate like my own...
You need to keep moisture levels up. When I got into this, I read lots of info posted by dudes in the PNW. They recommended leaving the bin alone, and adding moisture simply via food additions. In a dry climate this is bad advice. You can leave your worm bin alone and come back to a bone dry bin, void of worms. Whoops! I water the bin weekly with my Chapin sprayer. Constant even moist, but not dripping wet is the target. I guess in the PNW this is how your bin would be if you did indeed leave it alone.

Another thing about raising worms that people say that is confusing as fuck... Re: worm bedding and worm food. That they are or should be different. Wrong. Worms eat everything, unless you kill them off. If they eat their "bedding", isn't it food? I think the idea is that maybe you need separate bedding from food, in case the food heats up, the worms can retreat into the bedding.

Don't feed your worms things that can heat up. Uncomposted materials, high in nitrogen, in bulk, are a bad idea for worm feed in the bin.

Forget about the food heating up and killing your worms for a second.. What we want is killer worm castings, rich in available plant food, and as fast as possible. For these reasons, always use pre composted matierials as worm food... Which also serves as bedding.. If they aren't eating and taking a nap.

For these reasons, you will always see me refer to worm bin inputs as "food/bedding".

:pie:

Next topic: Microwave curing your buds

Microwave curing your buds isn't a new tech. A few folks in the know have been doing it for years. My book goes into great detail, and as the accepted expert on the subject, I take great pleasure in sharing my knowledge with the world. Lol... Jk.

Checking off the interwebs and grid in general for a couple days.

Thanks for following along folks

Had a nice camp session!

Coming home and smelling around the flower tent, I'm happy to say I think I might have picked the winner with my electric cowboy (Larry/88g13/hp) selection. The one that branches nicely, that I kept cuts of, that rooted well... Smells like the Larry OG. Dead ringer. Yee-fucking-haw!!

Trim day on the farm and then winterizing the chicken coop. There is snow on the ground.

Also dug up some pics of the summer worm farming set up

I grow using a Clackamas coots style soil mix, no till style. Flower in 10's and 30's.
Just made a new batch of soil and decided to recycle some no till pots that have seen 8-10 runs in a row. Just mixed the old with the new. Considering adding malted barley powder to the soil mix, this time. I do enzyme teas, occasionally, but I keep hearing it's more effective and obviously simpler, just to have powdered malted barley globally mixed throughout the soil.

I guess I'm in a position to do a side by side experiment and test it out for myself.