What's new

Shroomys cloning in vermiculite tek

E

EvilTwin

I tried to get some vermiculite to use as cage medium for my tarantula, I was told it's illegal in California. This was 3 years ago.

There were a few instances of asbestos found in vermiculite...so that's the reason. Caution should be used handling both vermiculite and perlite when it's dry. Breathing the dust is an issue.
ET

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
hey ppl thought i might as well show you the ladies from clone to transplant :)

so here they are in the final resting place :)

this ends the tute ppl :) hope it helped a few ppl

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 15
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
im using a similar clonin method with icetube trays from walmart. its super simple but the 2 times i used it i got 2 similar but different outcomes the first time the the water in the rez was a bit cooler, around 68 or so, and things went slow. everytthing rooted but it took longer. now my last round i left the cuttings in for the same amount of time but threw a heating pad under to keep temps around 82ish and damn what an improvement. i had roots everywhere probably coulda potted within a week of making the cuttings

Milonix420

hey shroomyshroom, great thread! I was wondering if 100% perlite would work instead of vermiculite? thanks

M420

Hi guys I see so many ppl on here giving advise on what they claim to be the easiest and most effective way of cloning... and to them I say..... :mooning:

The method I am about to show you is about as set and forget as you can get..... :biggrin: You basically set it up come back in 7 - 10 days and they are ready to be transplanted :D and it wont cost you more than $10.00 Australian :D

First off you are going to need the following equipment:

1 x ice-pole tray (used to hold the medium and clone)
1 x plastic bowl (used as the rez)
1 x bag of vermiculite (used as medium)
1 x knife or drill (to make holes in the ice-pole tray)

OK lets get started...

I'm not gonna go into it to much cause there is 10,000 threads on how to cut clones and how to prepare them b4 transplanting them into the cloning medium... all I am simply showing is the method used once you have cut them :)

Step #1 Drill holes into the bottom of the ice-pole tray.
Step #2 Fill the ice-pole tray with vermiculite.
Step #3 Moisten the verm in the ice-pole tray with water.
Step #4 Fill plastic bowl with water.
Step #5 Place ice-pole tray with moistened vermiculite into the plastic bowl with water in it.
Step #7 Cut your clones on a 45 degree angle.
Step #8 Dip your clones in rooting powder or gel, you can even skip this step if going organic.
Step #9 Poke hole into medium and place clone in hole, Then firmly press medium around the clone.

Presto you have just created a set and forget for your cloning :) no humidity done needed no misting needed

This is what it should look like once you are done :)

I will try take photos of the whole process on the week end to help ppl who still have no clue :)

the 4th photo is what they will look like after a day or 2 :)

Ohhh yeah i forgot to mention i do a this out side so if it worked for me... the ppl that do everything inside should have no probs at all.....

shroomyshroom

Veteran
I have also seen it used with verm, perlite and and coco

verm is my preferred method

Milonix420

yea ill use coco i dont really like perlite too much i am using perlite in my hempy buckets and i dont like it so i getting rid of it and going coco

Same here, the results of this setup with verm shocked me. If you can make sure the coco isn't kept too wet, I'd suggest that before perlite. That's just my opinion based on my limited experience.

I have trouble cloning myself ..

I will try this idea but using 2 different sized cheap clear plastic cups , one size larger than the other and cut holes in bottom of smaller cup and put perlite medium then put that smaller cup into the larger cup and add water ...

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
ima grower that needs specifics since i DIY damn near everything i have or will have. . .

-so how much water is going into this bowl that the tray sits in?

-do you fill it up half way of the icicle tray/ just above the holes you drilled? -

how far up from the bottom should you drill the holes (1/2", 1/4", 3/4", 1")

-what type of bowl?

-can i use one of those black/long 72cell trays that they sell at homedepot?

-my cuttings arent as big/long as your cuttings so how long does the stem of the cutting have to be to sit in that icicle tray part?

and i'll be honest and tell you why i really need the specifics, i am not too fond of hydro, and i really like my bubble cloner but from what ive gone through with it, the loss of clones, the water temp issues, the whole thing cannot (CANNOT) be compared to the ease of soil. hydro may have its ease but i have yet to see it so im really trying to steer clear of it, its just not for me.

so yeah, im really desperate for a way out and if that means that i have to friggin buy a extra large bag of vermiculite, perilite, dolomite. . . hell at this point i would buy a drawer full of someones damned underwear to get out from under this hydro shit!!! (yes im typing my best to show my dislike, disdain and desperation to get out from under hydro!!)

so i need to know these things, money is tight and i need to know what to buy the first time out to make a real go of this, and on top of it all im gonna be taking a major amount of cuttings in about a month or so, so yeah i need to know if this works

i had a whole plant lost to this damned thing, had a mom need to get it ready for the flower cab, decided to chop it all down/take the clones/ keep the top and regrow/replant as a mom,now all the damned things are soggy and teh stem have turned to mush! turned the water heater off and that shit still happens. the damned cabs in a garage!! it cant get any colder than that for fucks sake. . .. .. . like i said, if you can just give me some specifics as to the setup i would greatly appreciate it

thanks
FiD

shroomyshroom

Veteran
ima grower that needs specifics since i DIY damn near everything i have or will have. . .

-so how much water is going into this bowl that the tray sits in?

-do you fill it up half way of the icicle tray/ just above the holes you drilled? -

how far up from the bottom should you drill the holes (1/2", 1/4", 3/4", 1")

-what type of bowl?

-can i use one of those black/long 72cell trays that they sell at homedepot?

-my cuttings arent as big/long as your cuttings so how long does the stem of the cutting have to be to sit in that icicle tray part?

and i'll be honest and tell you why i really need the specifics, i am not too fond of hydro, and i really like my bubble cloner but from what ive gone through with it, the loss of clones, the water temp issues, the whole thing cannot (CANNOT) be compared to the ease of soil. hydro may have its ease but i have yet to see it so im really trying to steer clear of it, its just not for me.

so yeah, im really desperate for a way out and if that means that i have to friggin buy a extra large bag of vermiculite, perilite, dolomite. . . hell at this point i would buy a drawer full of someones damned underwear to get out from under this hydro shit!!! (yes im typing my best to show my dislike, disdain and desperation to get out from under hydro!!)

so i need to know these things, money is tight and i need to know what to buy the first time out to make a real go of this, and on top of it all im gonna be taking a major amount of cuttings in about a month or so, so yeah i need to know if this works

i had a whole plant lost to this damned thing, had a mom need to get it ready for the flower cab, decided to chop it all down/take the clones/ keep the top and regrow/replant as a mom,now all the damned things are soggy and teh stem have turned to mush! turned the water heater off and that shit still happens. the damned cabs in a garage!! it cant get any colder than that for fucks sake. . .. .. . like i said, if you can just give me some specifics as to the setup i would greatly appreciate it

thanks
FiD

Ill do my best to answer your questions this method is not an exact science and doesn't have to be done to the T.

There is not set amount of water in the tray as long as there is water in it that's all the matters, 1/4 to 1/2 would be best so you don't have to keep refiling it :)

You fill the icey pole tray to the very top brim

the holes are made under the icey pole tray at the very bottom

bowl can be any bowl if it holds water it will do

I would think the trays sold at depot would do fine

cuttings don't have to be my size... they can be any size as long as they touch the bottom on the icey pole tray

hope this helps if not let me know... I very hung over this morning typing is a choir atm lol

shroomyshroom

Veteran
I have trouble cloning myself ..

I will try this idea but using 2 different sized cheap clear plastic cups , one size larger than the other and cut holes in bottom of smaller cup and put perlite medium then put that smaller cup into the larger cup and add water ...

this will work fine :)

I am doing the same with 2 plastic Slurpee cups because the cone i took is quite large :gday:

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I did it in a similar way. Two cups, bottom one with about 2-3" of water, top one full of verm and a few holes cut in the bottom, with a wick going from the verm cup into the water. Truly set it and forget it. I filled the bottom cup, and when the time came to refill it, I checked on the roots, and they were all looking great.

shroomyshroom

Veteran
I did it in a similar way. Two cups, bottom one with about 2-3" of water, top one full of verm and a few holes cut in the bottom, with a wick going from the verm cup into the water. Truly set it and forget it. I filled the bottom cup, and when the time came to refill it, I checked on the roots, and they were all looking great.

the true definition of the term K.I.S.S aka keep it simple stupid :)

nice work bro feel free to drop some pics

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Not my pic or post, but I copied this. Used a larger res and didn't have to refill at all.

I'm at a loss for words right now. I accidentally knocked over my passive vermiculite cloner, so figured then was as good a time as any to take out all the clones and survey the results. Boy was I in for a surprise.

Here's the parts list for the cloner...
1 Plastic Cup, quarter sized hole in the bottom
1 Paper towel, ripped lengthwise into shreds, stuffed through the hole
1 drinking cup, to hold the water to keep the vermiculite moist
1 Plastic Cup's worth of vermiculite

LOOK AT THOSE ROOTS! No dome, No pump, No power, No maintenance. This is 11 days after these were cut from the plant. I had to fill up the cup with water once during that time period, and look at these results!:jawdrop:

I took the cuts off the plants, put them in a cup of water, and left them there for 24 hours. No real reason for this, I just wanted to get them in water as soon as I cut them, I thought that might've been a reason for failure in the past.

So I left them there for 24 hours, then poured a shot glass full of Hormex. It says to use at full strength, does that mean at the highest does (10ml/gallon) or just straight hormex? I'm pretty sure I used it straight. Anyways, they sat in water for 24 hours, then 100% Hormex for a couple minutes, and then into the cup of vermiculite. I didn't touch or disturb them at all until I had to refill their water, about a week after they were put into the cloner. I took one out a few days ago because curiosity got the better of me, and it had roots. I definitely was not expecting these results though. I know how I'm going to be cloning from now on! :D

Latest posts

Latest posts