What's new

Show your good soil roots!

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Either I'm doing something grossly wrong or I have a pathogen like mold eating my roots alive, even dry. My roots are thin and brown with no hairs, my seedlings and clones all die even though I have had perfect 100% success when I didn't have the root problem...

SO! Show me some healthy roots! Its been over a year since my roots have taken a turn for the worst, now even my houseplants have roots dying off.

Here is a pic of some thin spindly dead roots, the plant survived to produce a bumper crop of pollen but with almost no roots left, I know the soil is dry but I did that on purpose to try to combat root death, worked ok but roots need high humidity to thrive but that just fosters mold.

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Roots!

Roots!

Here's the only root pic I have in my gallery - a transplant shot from awhile ago, it has been posted before...:rasta:

Peace

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
what are you feeding the plants how much how often i get roots like in the above pic of 10oz cup. takes my plants 10-14 days to achieve rootmass like that under cfl's. in my gallery theres several pic of fine white healthy rootmass's from the last few yrs. anywhere from a 3x3x3 inch to soda bottle 1 gal grow bags 3 gal trash cans 6 gal pot.

Last edited:

greenhead

Veteran
I don't know if this one is good or not, it's kind of rootbound. But the roots look nice, white and healthy at least ! It was in a 3 gallon pot.
20576male_rip_2.jpg

20576male_rip_3.jpg

:joint: :wave:

Last edited:

johnyhash

Cannabis Connoisseur
ICMag Donor
Hey deft i used to get roots like that sometimes but i have only had beautiful roots since using plantacilan, its got these colony forming microbes that prevent rot works wonders for my roots aswell for cloning.

hoodini

Hey germinator and greenhead, those roots look amazing. Is there anything special you guys are using to get them to grow like that. I dont think I am having any issues with my roots but they dont seem to look that healthy. I do use a drop of superthrive per gallon in veg but would love to know what your feeding those monsters.

Germanator

Hoodini - I don't know if I do anything special to make them look the way they do. They were/are healthy cuts when they come in. I use FFOF as medium with about 30% perlite and a tablespoon per gallon of Dolomite lime extra. Nothing special there, but what might help is that I transplant multiple times in veg and then once (pictured above) before Flower. During each transplant I mix in superthrive with my Fox Farm Veg ferts. Multiple transplants never allows the plant to become root bound for long.

The room stays at a constant temp and humidity is fairly good. I use Co2, but it isn't monitored constantly, so who knows how much that influences my roots/crop.

Don't know what else to tell you, I keep it pretty clean and most always my roots look like that. Remember though, healthy strong roots transfer into a strong yield.

Be easy
Germ

hoodini

Can anyone tell my why it benefits plants to wait til they are rootbound before transplanting. I've heard that quite a bit in forums but dont know why waiting makes such a big difference.

Germanator

It has to do with the plant being able to take up as much water/nutrients as possible in the space available. Take for example, if you put a fresh cut into an 18 gallon container and start watering...you will likely end up with a big plant because of that amount of space for the roots to stretch into. Now if you were to take the same cut and start it in a small container and progress through numerous transplants (with little stress), the roots will have been able to take up more water (because of more frequent watering in smaller containers) than that original example clone that was sitting in such a large container and was watered much less frequently.

I have looked at transplanting as power feeding... more small meals = more healthy plants.

Germ

greenhead

Veteran
hoodini said:
Can anyone tell my why it benefits plants to wait til they are rootbound before transplanting. I've heard that quite a bit in forums but dont know why waiting makes such a big difference.

From my understanding, the roots seek out the walls pretty damn quickly, no matter what size pot you put it in.

So if you start a little seedling in a huge pot, the roots are going to go straight for the walls, and eventually, you're going to end up with a huge amount of soil volume in the middle that is basically being wasted, since there's no root mass to speak of there.

If you started the same seedling in a smaller pot, then gradually up-transplant, you will have more time to build up a larger root mass. And by the time it goes into the largest pot for flowering, there will be less soil volume wasted in the middle, as opposed to just planting that seedling in a huge pot from the getgo. And more roots = more yield, or so they so, so I believe that gradual transplants will give somebody more root volume.

Disclaimer - I'm just a noob and I might not know what the fuck I'm talking about, so everybody should do their own experiments and see what works best for them.....

:joint: :wave:

Deft

Veteran
Those are the roots I am used too!

I tried an espoma myco/microbe inoculant but it didn't seem to do anything, even in a tea it just makes things slimy with no foam in the bubbles.

My roots now just brown and die back in even drier soil than in most of the pics!

If it is a micro pathogen and not me overlooking somthing else a good myco/micro presence should push out the bad stuff, I'm going to look into getting another kind.

Deft

Veteran
Anyone know of a good inocualnt and where I can get it online?

NorCal

Veteran
damn im glad i stumbled upon this thread as my mom room has the same problems

something eating at the roots and making em weak and eventually i think it gets into the plant restricting its water uptake causing it to dry out even though the soil is still pretty wet

i do have gnats but the plants have been doing fine for over a year and then all of a sudden my DNA Sharksbreath started going under
then my strawberry diesels (both of em) got it and now one of my Romulans looks like its got it too

this hurts as they were all nice and established in 5 gallon buckets

if you find something that works for you please lemme know as i have no idea what will help, i have some others in flower that are getting real loose around the base of the stalk also so im a bit worried about what it is

Deft

Veteran
If you have gnats what worked for me is the fungus that eats their larva, water with it for a few weeks and they are gone, at least it worked for me.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I would look at your soil with a magnifying glass to see if there is anything present that shouldn't be there. Are you re-using your soil? If so buy some new stuff after this grow and before you bring it in clean your entire room with bleach and water. Also make sure to clean your fans, dehumidifier, venting and anything else that can hold any kind of bacteria. You might also want to vaccum out your carbon filter, but it should be fine as it is exhausting and not allowing anything in through it - but just to be safe.

You say your soil gets loose around the stock - that makes me think you have some kind of insect living in the soil. Are you watering so that your soil goes through a wet phase and then a dry phase, but making sure it never gets too dry to droop the plants? This is all I can think of to suggest to you.

Hope someone might be able to give you more advice, but check out what you can. Gool luck and let us know how it goes.

TGT