What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Should I update my CREE CXB 3950 to a HLG.

daleharris

I have had this light since Timber offered these kits. 4 CXB 3590 lights and I built the frame from 80/20 aluminum. Not long after I got it together I also upgraded with kits Rapid sold with 660 cree chips and a separate kit with 730 chips and separate meanwell drivers so I can use different timer for the 730’s. The 660’s I plug in with the main light when I flip to flower. I’m kicking around the possibility of replacing it with a HLG 260 V2 Rspec light. My area is basically 3’X3’. The Timber kit light works fine and I had to replace the plastic reflector and its mount on a couple due to becoming brittle but nothing else. I could care less about power or efficiency just the quality of light. I don’t think the HLG is probably a real upgrade but I’m not sure. Anyone else still running Cree CXB cobs ??

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
HLG 260 V2 Rspec light is a killer light and if you use it you will be glad. The Rspec has dimming qualities that can fit any time of the growth stage from seedlings to flowers. From what I know and have seen you can't go wrong with Rspec.

If it was me I would increase the tent size and use both lights as a combo and grow enough weed for 6 months. If and when you get it keep us posted and tell us how it went. Thanks for the question.

daleharris

HLG 260 V2 Rspec light is a killer light and if you use it you will be glad. The Rspec has dimming qualities that can fit any time of the growth stage from seedlings to flowers. From what I know and have seen you can't go wrong with Rspec.

If it was me I would increase the tent size and use both lights as a combo and grow enough weed for 6 months. If and when you get it keep us posted and tell us how it went. Thanks for the question.
Unfortunately my space is limited to what it is. That’s OK since I only grow for 2 of us. I may pull trigger soon but not without some more looking.

Koondense

Veteran
I have some CXBs and Veros, will upgrade them with more 660nm deep red strips.
Imo they're still worth using, despite probably losing a bit of output through the years.
I did finish some grows in a 3x3 tent with a couple of QB 3500K leds(no extra reds) and I think one 260W QB will not be enough light for that area. I used two 240 QBs dimmed on 70% and it was on the limit of brightness without CO2.
My advice would be to just supplement the CXBs(which are still very fine leds) with additional red spectrum. It's what I'll do very soon and will see if there's a benefit, in theory the plants should love it.

Cheers

daleharris

Upon further consideration I just ordered replacement CXB395 3500K COB’s from Rapid LED. I have ran this non stop light cycles so I’m guessing around 40K hours maybe?? Soon as this grow is done I will replace them and probably the 660’s and 730’s as well since they are not too expensive. Ready for another 6-7 years plus.
E66EB156-71D1-4272-9E44-B9ED32F663DE.jpeg

Corpselover Fat

Upon further consideration I just ordered replacement CXB395 3500K COB’s from Rapid LED. I have ran this non stop light cycles so I’m guessing around 40K hours maybe?? Soon as this grow is done I will replace them and probably the 660’s and 730’s as well since they are not too expensive. Ready for another 6-7 years plus.
View attachment 18816429

Hi, uhm did you measure the output of the light when you got it? It would be interesting to know how much (if any?) the output has lowered during so many hours.

daleharris

Hi, uhm did you measure the output of the light when you got it? It would be interesting to know how much (if any?) the output has lowered during so many hours.
I did not measure since I didn’t really have any way to. Now though I do have an Apogee PAR meter so I will be able to measure before and after levels when I change them.

Corpselover Fat

I did not measure since I didn’t really have any way to. Now though I do have an Apogee PAR meter so I will be able to measure before and after levels when I change them.

Lux would have been fine. Too bad. Not many have run their led for 40k hours yet. I didn't make decent measurements either when the lights were new.