What's new

Should I bother pursuing a career as an Electrician?

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Thought I'd take a second to ask any electricians/journeymen who might frequent IC..

Is it worth it?

I've been considering this as a career ever since I wired my first 240v timer w/outlets, but after looking into it further, I'm not sure if it's right for me. The pay seems nice, but I grow enough to support myself so that's not an issue at the moment.

What bothers me, is it seems there is a lengthy process of pseudo-indoctrination in this career-field. Does this career path mesh well with our lifestyle?

Feel free to share any experiences you may have had in this field that might influence my decision as to whether or not I want to take the next step and apply to a school..

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
if you have nothing better to do in order to better yourself go for it.
Education on any level is a good thing.
A Journey Mans Ticket is big deal in any trade.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Oh, my bad. I'll apply to University so I can make this same decision 4 years from now...

Lmao.

I should also mention that I'm in the second most jobless state in the US right now. College is a no-go. Lmao.

johnnyla

Veteran
Yes. Any trade will survive the Great Depression of the 21st century.

unless the poles shift. then you are out of a job. unless they put you to work rewiring the earth. either way, solid.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Why would you post in my thread if you have me on ignore, Classy? That just doesn't make sense to me..

:dunno: :wave:

JohnnyLA, that's my thinking on the matter. This isn't about "self-betterment" or BS like that.. This is about surviving if and when growing is no longer profitable.

I know about a half dozen peeps just getting out of college this year and last year and they all ran into the same problem I ran into when I got out of High School. There are next to no jobs in my area. I'm looking for a career that will still be in demand, despite economic hiccups.

H

Hazyfontazy

if you have nothing better to do in order to better yourself go for it.
Education on any level is a good thing.
A Journey Mans Ticket is big deal in any trade.

currently doing it ,,really enjoying it ,cant wait to finish it ,,easy money when u gained the knowledge if there's any work ..

go for it

sackoweed

I took anger management already!!!! FUCK!!!
Veteran
if there is no work for electricians in yer state then no.. And these days arent associates and bachelors the same as a HS diploma? It just cost WAY more to get one of those.. peace n puffs

sackO

A

arrg

I am a service fitter not a sparky but I work with a bunch and it is a good gig. Try to get in the service end doing repair as opposed to construction but both pay well. You need a gig or a scam to make it in life.

Union is the way to go in trades most of the time.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
yes!! the one thing we can use is more pot friendly electricians!! move to cali u have any idea how much money ud make as a certified electrician setting up grow rooms!?? its always good to have a skill to fall back on bro, even if u wanna go get a phd in something finish the electrician training so u have a fallback

Nigel

I really wish I would have become an electrician. And I know many other guys in their fifties that have said the same thing. (me and most of my acquaintances are all tradesman). You will most likely have more than yourself to support one day. And growing the ganja just aint gonna cut it.

The answer is absofuckinglutely.
I am amazed anyone would tell you not to. Electricity isn't going any where friend. Great career. All you have to do is pass the drug tests from the union if any at all. And trust me...most of your fellow employees will be smokers as well.

-Good Luck

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
I am amazed anyone would tell you not to. Electricity isn't going any where friend.

I was shocked, as well. Some people just have no respect for dudes with blue collars it seems.. I am not a white collar kind of person, really.

johnnyla

Veteran
Why would you post in my thread if you have me on ignore, Classy? That just doesn't make sense to me..

:dunno: :wave:

JohnnyLA, that's my thinking on the matter. This isn't about "self-betterment" or BS like that.. This is about surviving if and when growing is no longer profitable.

I know about a half dozen peeps just getting out of college this year and last year and they all ran into the same problem I ran into when I got out of High School. There are next to no jobs in my area. I'm looking for a career that will still be in demand, despite economic hiccups.

yeah well any trade will stand up. you cant outsource panel changes, outlet changes etc to India. this is work that you have to be physically present for. Basically anything that isn't going away and is a necessity, NOT FACEBOOK etc. ANything in 3D is real. 4D crap like the internets are great for some things for some people but you don't need it to live.

Food, shelter, medicine are all necessary for life. internets is not.

Also, it doesn't matter what skill you have if you live in a hut in the desert or Detroit Michigan. You have to go to where the jobs are. They will not find you.

Good luck.

I

Iron_Lion

Thought I'd take a second to ask any electricians/journeymen who might frequent IC..

Is it worth it?

I've been considering this as a career ever since I wired my first 240v timer w/outlets, but after looking into it further, I'm not sure if it's right for me. The pay seems nice, but I grow enough to support myself so that's not an issue at the moment.

What bothers me, is it seems there is a lengthy process of pseudo-indoctrination in this career-field. Does this career path mesh well with our lifestyle?

Feel free to share any experiences you may have had in this field that might influence my decision as to whether or not I want to take the next step and apply to a school..

Other trades pay more, and involve less danger and bullshit. Dont be fooled its not all easy like they show it in tv commercials. There is so much more to this trade then just residential wiring and to make the higher end of the pay scare you must be well versed in all of it.

Depending on you local area you may have to travel quite a bit to follow the work. Ive been in the trade for about 10 yrs now and most days I wake up hating it and wishing I had done something else with my life.

Dont get me wrong, I love what this trade has gotten me, nice new house, nice car etc...etc... but I honestly wish I had done something in the medical field.

Physical labour sucks, and it takes a toll on the body, and stress isnt fun either. And just remember, in the trades you have to produce, get jobs done on shedual if not faster and keep the boss happy and the guys under you productive . If you arent making money no one will keep you so you better hustle.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Im a nurse and I think you would run into the same problem I have. Preemployment drug testing and random testing.

That was something I was worried about as well. But I know there are plenty of electricians on this forum, so I was hoping some would share their experience with the frequency and existence of drug-testing requirements..

Thanks, Iron Lion, for sharing your experience. I figured if the number of electricians who were dissatisfied was greater than the number that were satisfied, I might reconsider the industry.

I went to a tech school for maintenance electricity and havent been able to find anything. It seems like theres not much work for entry level workers.

Latest posts

Latest posts