What's new

Short Path Distillation

Jvckguar

Memed or crumbsnatch if you all hear back from the guy offering classes I would much appreciate a Pm or something so I can get in contact with him as well, I can't send messages yet. Idk if we are allowed to post this but my email is jackfoerster@gmail.com

Jvckguar

GO Joe any ideas on something resinous that could be used to experiment? I have a good dry ice cold trap, im still confused on what equipment I would need to incorporate nitrogen, but regardless I appreciate your help very much.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Something with similar volatility is more important. Some things with that boiling point that could be bought are high melting solids and others are oils at room temperature. Anything you can get your hands on would be better than anything expensive. I posted a picture of what I'd use in the clear thread and here said what I would do with the tube. Maybe you would prefer a hotplate magstir with an oil bath, I don't know.

pharmco

Memed or crumbsnatch if you all hear back from the guy offering classes I would much appreciate a Pm or something so I can get in contact with him as well, I can't send messages yet. Idk if we are allowed to post this but my email is *********@gmail.com

I would be cautious in posting your real name email address... Censoring my own post in case you decide to edit your post.

LavenderFractal

Ok, so everybody here is 100% sure that "the clear" is made via either short path or molecular distillation? Because I've been researching this for months and am ready to drop big money on a setup. I just need to be sure I'm not being led down the wrong path. In another thread ticklemyballs was convinced that it was made with a microwave hydro diffusion and gravity setup (I.e. Neos gr) but from what I have researched, the neos gr would only work if resin was water soluble. So I'm kinda thinking this was a red herring in order to lead others away from the real tech in order to buy themselves more time to make money.
So before I go and drop 35k$ on a Meyers or pope unit, is that the best way to go for production level runs? I see some people saying a short path on a rotovap will work (kinda makes sense cause the spinning action of the flask will create a thin film, just change out the condenser to short path a voila you have a ghetto mol still! However it would seem as though this wouldn't probably work so great in a production setting. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We continue to make our clear with a Kugelrohr. They work but are slow and limited in size.

For production volumes, I would suggest a molecular still.

Last edited:
We continue to make our clear with a Kugelrohr. They work but are slow and limited in size.

For production volumes, I would suggest a molecular stillk.

This statement continues to boggle my mind. I see that the Kugelrohr can successful do the job, but only on a small scale. Where as the molecular still can do it for "Production" volumes. Is there a way to quantify either of those statements? Are we talking about 3L a day/week in a kugelrhor? Are production volumes like 300L a day/week? I too am extremely curious about distillates, but am unclear if we should put the capital up for a molecular still, or if we can get away with using a kugelrhor.

I have endless questions with an equally endless amount of variables.

Permacultuure

Veteran
I would say most units, kug, short path ect are limited to 400-600ml in an average day. Variables will change that substantially like starting product and potency.

Lavender, I would highly recommend playing around with a short path setup before spending coin like that. You need to become familiar with the distillation process, which is only achieved through time in front of glass ware. The price points of distillate are sure to be plummeting soon, as many people are willing to share the info for a price.

I would say most units, kug, short path ect are limited to 400-600ml in an average day. Variables will change that substantially like starting product and potency.

Lavender, I would highly recommend playing around with a short path setup before spending coin like that. You need to become familiar with the distillation process, which is only achieved through time in front of glass ware. The price points of distillate are sure to be plummeting soon, as many people are willing to share the info for a price.

Thank you, I think this is good advice. I personally am not concerned so much with the profits of the distillates, my goal is to be able to produce a range of products for the patients specific needs. I think this is another instrument to help reach that goal.

Daub Marley

Once again everyone seems to be following the leader. What are people's goals with short path distillation? If you want a product that is 95%+ pure then why not focus your efforts on THC-A extraction? You get the same purity and you get a solid product. No sticky mess. If anyone just wants to remove discoloration and get your THC% up to around 90% then I can teach you if your willing to pay upfront for the use of my IP. I believe my method will displace short path distillation because it uses common equipment, is cheaper to produce, and scales up easily.

Once again everyone seems to be following the leader. What are people's goals with short path distillation? If you want a product that is 95%+ pure then why not focus your efforts on THC-A extraction? You get the same purity and you get a solid product. No sticky mess. If anyone just wants to remove discoloration and get your THC% up to around 90% then I can teach you if your willing to pay upfront for the use of my IP. I believe my method will displace short path distillation because it uses common equipment, is cheaper to produce, and scales up easily.
Not so much "follow the leader", but more of playing catch-up. I just began my journey into cannabis a little over 1 year ago, and dove into concentrates at the begging of this year. I am seeing what others are doing and want to know more about why it is being done, and how efficient it is, is there better alternatives, what is the end products, do people care? This could be accomplished by purchasing random equipment and going through hundreds of hours of trials to figure out if it even works, let alone efficient.Or by asking questions/hiring consultants.

Roji

at this point, hiring a consultant is the best way to go about making distillate on a commercial basis if they want to skip the time and money of r&d.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This statement continues to boggle my mind. I see that the Kugelrohr can successful do the job, but only on a small scale. Where as the molecular still can do it for "Production" volumes. Is there a way to quantify either of those statements? Are we talking about 3L a day/week in a kugelrhor? Are production volumes like 300L a day/week? I too am extremely curious about distillates, but am unclear if we should put the capital up for a molecular still, or if we can get away with using a kugelrhor.

I have endless questions with an equally endless amount of variables.

What PC said.

Joe is our hands on short path research scientist, and I've noted a steady improvement in his results with experience.

Our Aldrich Kugelrohr has about a 1 liter boiling flask and we process maybe 500 ml/day in two runs. Our clients using Kugelrohr's for commerce, have a row of them.

Molecular stills start with lab models running a couple of pounds per run, to units the size of houses, and can be made to run continuously, rather than in batch mode like a Kugelrohr.

Meyer's and Pope are a couple of the principle players, with Meyers using a spinning disc to centrifugally form a thin film, and Pope wipes a thin film.

A key secret to speed in thin film, is surface area, which the Kugelrohr is limited in, compared to molecular stills.

Thank you both for the advice. I have begun talking with Pharmer Joe, and a few others, I think the most reasonable way to achieve what we're looking for is by starting with a standard kugelrhor and becoming more familiar with the process. We don't want to dedicate a tremendous amount of real estate in the lab for a process that is very new to us and to make a product that is extremely specific.

Jvckguar

Daub marley and permaculture, if either of you want a new consulting client please send me an email, my email address is posted on page 9 of this thread.

montroller

I'm trying to put together a complete shopping list to start this from scratch... I know, I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late.

So obviously start with the short path setup
https://www.wilmad-labglass.com/ProductList.aspx?t=919

Then I'll need a hotplate stirrer
http://www.amazon.com/Corning-6795-420D-PC-420D-Stirring-Pyroceram/dp/B004DGIC0W/

A pot for the oil bath

Some stir bars

A lab stand with some clamps

Tubing for the condenser

Still not a lot of word on which pump to use, I wonder if I could just use my alcatel 2021i for now.

And that should be it right, not missing anything major?

I post this like I'm going to get a real response about distillate on a concentrate forum... I guess I'll just drop the 2k like everyone else and hope for the best, happy harvest season y'all, now get back to work!:tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts