What's new

Short Path Distillation

It's hard to say why the potency would be so much lower in those runs. If the sulfur does bond to a cannabinoid then it would become an entirely different molecule. THC with sulfur wouldn't be THC anymore so the tests wouldn't pick it up. I'm not saying this is what's going on I'm just giving a possible scenario.

Exactly.. Its a puzzle. Hopefully somebody can chime in with more info...

I doubt the sulfur is actually bonding to thc or other cannabinoids, creating sulfur analogs takes fairly specific reaction conditions.

As far as removing elemental sulfur, GW recommended an ionic resin bed on a thread from 2011. In 2014 GW recommended column chromatography.

G.O. Joe said: "It's insoluble in water, but soluble in most other things. Sulfur has low solubility in cold hexane - winterization in that might help, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sulfur reacts with bases, and THCA dissolves in them - THC usually does not - so after trying the hexane winterizing precipitation, personally I'd try decarboxylation then dissolving in hexane, shaking with a concentrated - hazardous - solution of sodium hydroxide or potassium hydroxide in water, discarding the water, repeating, shaking with clean water several times until it's no longer alkaline and discarding those washes, then evaporating the hexane. Won't be shatter though."

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Exactly.. Its a puzzle. Hopefully somebody can chime in with more info...

Cannabis essential oils are of course a mixture, but its constituents are relatively non polar. Looking at THCA/THC as a representative sample, THCA has a C22 H30 O4 molecular structure and THC C21 H30 O2.

Carbon has 4 bonds each, Hydrogen 1, and Oxygen 2. Both molecules have 4 double carbon bonds.

If you count bonds, both molecules orbits are full, so there is no open bonds for the sulfur, even if it were so inclined. That suggests that the sulfur will most likely be present unbonded unless it is reacted into something else.

Daub Marley

Anyone doing solvent washes with ethanol and skipping the butane extraction to make their short path distillation feed material?

Roji

You are always very confident that any LHO will still smell like oranges. What do you think about people claiming they can get it down to below sensory threshold?

I only know what I have seen personally. I know the self proclaimed honorary chemist who swears he cant taste the limonene in his extracts. I believe him because he basically bathes in the stuff. Everyone else can only taste and smell orange oil or other non cannabis flavors.

I only know what I have seen personally. I know the self proclaimed honorary chemist who swears he cant taste the limonene in his extracts. I believe him because he basically bathes in the stuff. Everyone else can only taste and smell orange oil or other non cannabis flavors.

I guess spending 12 hours a day in your lab distilling limonene kinda kills your perception of it eh?

Roji

I recant my above statement. I have a sample of his lho distillate that doesnt taste like limonene.

Roji

That's a pretty quick change of opinion there. If it doesn't taste like limonene how did he remove it to such levels?

Someone just happened to give me a syringe of his newest stuff yesterday. Now, upon further tasting it has a very mild hint of limonene but its way better than his previous product. He uses column chromatography to clean stuff up so it may be that.

Old Gold

How are you guys liking the effects of THC distillate (90%+) in relation to a "fuller" plant extract. I'm not saying compare it to last year's water leaf run that's full of chlorophyll, but is anyone finding a significant difference in the effects, not dosage, between THC distillate and a flavorful whole plant extract?
Chlorophyll makes ya poop.

When decarboxylating THCa with heat, surely flavor content can be smelled escaping the oil, as well as the remaining flavors being noticeably altered. Are any remaining terpenoids still as medicinal after heat treatment and molecular restructuring (doubtful- but to what extent)?
As many of us agree that pure THC is a bit of a bland experience when smoked alone, but I have found equal effects from eating a "reddish" distillate as I get from my usual edibles. Is anyone reintroducing unaltered cannabis terps for the sake of edibles? How are the effects in relation to without?

I imagine that terps surely work harmoniously with cannabinoids, whether it be ∆9-THC or it's 11-hydroxy metabolite.

Last edited:
jbv from Summit Tech will be happy to tell you haha

How Not to Fraction Cannabis https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkJUywDi04Q

Also this next link was recently dropped by the man who spent a lot of time designing a custom vigreaux spd head & had his work supposedly stolen and then modified to avoid patent infringement (subsequently making the head way less effective overall) and resold by Open Source Steel "the dum dum twins" as he refers to them in the videos lol

I found this one very informative for a beginner looking to get setup, we are considering buying an entire setup from jbv /Summit Tech, any one have any input / advice? good idea/ bad?

"Fractional distillation of cannabis - basics series 1 of 4"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5hFjExd8vc

I ended up meeting with jbv and taking a class. It was informative and offered a lot of insight onto the process. Repetition and experiments will dial in the rest.