What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short "high ate us" but um back at it!

couchlockd

Howdy y'all, issa me, couch locked. I was active on here from 2003-2012 heavily, 2012-2014 now and then sporadically. Im 2010 Lost access to old account (thats ehy my joint date is 2010)

Now that that's out the way, on to the reason for post.

I plan on doing a Small personal grow. Now that o-high-o is legal, i can do it without fear (quit in '14 when my first born happened, didn't want to risk anything with family in tow)

A 3x4 or 4x5 tent or 4x4. Lit with dual 600 hps/mh digis, or 4 315's.

Will do co2 enrichment with green air products cdmc-6 (showing my age, right. Lol) organic soil (as that's what i ultimately ended up mastering, started out hydro, transitioned to organics)

Just basically putting some of my old equipment to use.

But back to lightning. I been out the loop for a while, when I left LED sucked or if it was good it was absurdly cost prohibitive.

I've always known LEDs to be rather less dense. I'm seeing that technology has came a long way in the last 10 years.

So do LEDs yield comparable to a 600 w high pressure sodium? Like if I had a LED that was 590 to 600 w would it put out the same gram per watt benchmark that HPS will?

What are some brands to look for? I'll be lighting roughly 20 square feet. Strictly 1 week veg, the rest flower. This will be fed from ready clones or from a mother tent.

Also what genetics are the shit these day's?

I was a Big fan of tga (Jesus og, jilly, Ace of spades, etc) serious seeds (ak, White Russian), paradise seeds (nebula, wappa, sensi Star) soma seeds (nyc d, lavender) dj short (vanilluna, bb) big buddah (cheese) and sensi seeds (nl, Afghani 1, Afghani skunk, skunk 1, sensi skunk, super skunks, ed super bud)

U talk about these genetics with kids these days (god damn i said it) they look at you like your talking about "mids" 🙄😏

So tldr;
1) Good led recommendations that yield same as equal wattage HiD or better
2) good seed comp new genetics.

Ps, its glad to be making the decision to grow again, honestly haven't been satisfied with smoking since I ran out of my own. Finally can get rid of those knot's in my stomach that i get every spring smelling the soils and fertilizer in the stores . I used to smell that and get knot's in my stomach like i was doing something wrong by not growing this lovely plant anymore. I guess i was grieving and never got over it. Like making the conscious decision to do this again is making me Happy like i was able to resurrect my favorite dead family members.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Howdy y'all, issa me, couch locked. I was active on here from 2003-2012 heavily, 2012-2014 now and then sporadically. Im 2010 Lost access to old account (thats ehy my joint date is 2010)

Now that that's out the way, on to the reason for post.

I plan on doing a Small personal grow. Now that o-high-o is legal, i can do it without fear (quit in '14 when my first born happened, didn't want to risk anything with family in tow)

A 3x4 or 4x5 tent or 4x4. Lit with dual 600 hps/mh digis, or 4 315's.

Will do co2 enrichment with green air products cdmc-6 (showing my age, right. Lol) organic soil (as that's what i ultimately ended up mastering, started out hydro, transitioned to organics)

Just basically putting some of my old equipment to use.

But back to lightning. I been out the loop for a while, when I left LED sucked or if it was good it was absurdly cost prohibitive.

I've always known LEDs to be rather less dense. I'm seeing that technology has came a long way in the last 10 years.

So do LEDs yield comparable to a 600 w high pressure sodium? Like if I had a LED that was 590 to 600 w would it put out the same gram per watt benchmark that HPS will?

What are some brands to look for? I'll be lighting roughly 20 square feet. Strictly 1 week veg, the rest flower. This will be fed from ready clones or from a mother tent.

Also what genetics are the shit these day's?

I was a Big fan of tga (Jesus og, jilly, Ace of spades, etc) serious seeds (ak, White Russian), paradise seeds (nebula, wappa, sensi Star) soma seeds (nyc d, lavender) dj short (vanilluna, bb) big buddah (cheese) and sensi seeds (nl, Afghani 1, Afghani skunk, skunk 1, sensi skunk, super skunks, ed super bud)

U talk about these genetics with kids these days (god damn i said it) they look at you like your talking about "mids" 🙄😏

So tldr;
1) Good led recommendations that yield same as equal wattage HiD or better
2) good seed comp new genetics.

Ps, its glad to be making the decision to grow again, honestly haven't been satisfied with smoking since I ran out of my own. Finally can get rid of those knot's in my stomach that i get every spring smelling the soils and fertilizer in the stores . I used to smell that and get knot's in my stomach like i was doing something wrong by not growing this lovely plant anymore. I guess i was grieving and never got over it. Like making the conscious decision to do this again is making me Happy like i was able to resurrect my favorite dead family members.
Hello and welcome back friend. I do remember you couchlock its good to see you again. Keep us posted on your grows if it's safe for you.

Rocket Soul

Yes, leds will out produce HID, especially on a grams per watt basis, and generally from a g/squar ft though not as clearly. 600w led is about the same as a1000w hps; it maxes out a 4x4 with the right light.
Main thing though is that you have to grow different; with hps you sorta have a max temps of 80; leds have a minimum temp of 80 when giving high light intensity. Also read up on VPD which is what will make your led plants transpire. Do not grow plants with HPS climate, it doesnt work, this is why some people dont get good bud. Also an extra touch of calmag.

In your position why not chose both? A couple of cmh and some led strip concoction; they are not hard to diy.

If you are spendy go for HLG/horticulture loghting group; if youre not so spendy then maybe HLG DIY with boards, a 120w kit is about 50$ plus power supply. There are many other good manufacturers but id avoid chinese rebrands, mars, spiderfarmer and a few more.

Avoid: anything without proper info on diodes and driver/power supply (meanwell/inventronics are good but sometimes its a fake driver from chinese bstock)
Avoid anything blurple (purple light) and defo avoid starting your search on amazon)

Another issue you may run into is that your led buds look a bit smaller than big fat hps buds, but infact when you weigh in you see that the actual weight is more than your hps: white led light tends to actually make denser buds in the real meaning: small size but bigger weight. Hps is full of infra red which makes the buds bloat up a bit but its mostly water; led will lose less weight in drying.

oldworld

I have both LED panels and 315s. The LEDs work for me. The (tropical sativa) plants seem happier under the CMH. That is my inexperienced input.

Ohio here too, btw.

Breeders I'm looking at: Ace, Mandala, Khalifa, Mr. Nice, Bodhi, crickets and cicadas, kwik. Probably others, but these guys all have some good sounding stuff.

Welcome