What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short 7 week old plants already showing signs of flower

Panka

Hello,

I"m doing a grow autoflower, its my 2Nd grow so still learning.(Northern Lights Automatic Seeds - White Label). Got them from https://sensiseeds.com/nl

The seeds were plant 12/07/2016. They started to grow very slow in the last 2 weeks they have grown bit faster (7-8 inches)

Set up:

CFL 5U-125W-2700K
Soil: gave them Universal soil + added 20-30% perlite.
Nut: Terra Vega every 3 days (30% of whats on the bottle)
Water: When they need it (when its dry under the top soil)
Room is about 25°c
Growtent
Light: 18/6h
Did not repot

Gave them Terra Vega till now. I have put the light quite close at the start but saw some sunburn so put the light a bit higher.

My question is, are they showing sign of flowering already? and why are they so slow? What should be my next course of action.

If you need more info, let me know

Cheers,

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Typically autos show sex about day 17-21....several take longer. Yours definitely are female with the pistils showing! Yay!

Any air circulation? That helps.

Do you have good drainage in your pots? It appears to be heavy soil mix. Adding the perlite (carefully) will help roots breathe and grow as you mentioned. We use 30-40% perlite in our soil mix.

The real action of autoflowers begins about day 30, buds bulking up.

Too, your light isn't strong enough so plants are stretching.

Using 1/2 -1/3 strength nutes every third watering, with plain pH'd water when top soil is dry. Plants are looking like they might be overfed. Back off some.

Just my nickel's worth of observation. You learn how plants respond with each grow. Doesn't look bad....just take mental notes (or a diary) of what works, what doesn't for next grow.

Good luck!

Panka

Cheers for the reply.

I have a fan in the top Corner of my tent, not on them directly. The drainage is good i guess, the water runs trough the pot into the reservoir quite good. You suggest i add some more perlite? If so, how do i do that without damaging the plant?

I do find them quite small compared to other autoflower after 7 weeks.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
True, they are spindly due to light intensity.

We've transplanted 100's in early flower stage. Try to get the entire contents of container out (we use a knife around the edge of containers to loosen soil. Invert onto newspaper, mix soil and perlite together, carefully crumbling the sides and bottom of your root mass.

Just be careful not to sever tap root. Once soil/perlite mixed, put root ball back, pack lightly, water. If you have willows nearby, but a few sprigs and soak....great transplanting tonic.

Panka

Ok, so i went to get some other soil, more light.. mixed it up with perlite and when i did the things you described this was the result: (see picture) the roots were not expanded at all...when i transplanted the rootpackage i could cleary excaminate the soil and no roots were found (like a few ones) in the remaining soil.

Hope they will do well now and that the repot didn't damage them.

I had 3 plants, did it with 2...

thx for the previous reply btw.

Cheers

Panka

Ps. the soil were they were in was very sticky, had like chunks of clay in it.. and wet..probly overwatered.

Panka

One More question, do i start feeding them terra flower or i keep giving terra Vega? If terra Vega for how long?

Panka

Update: after 6 days ...this is the difference. Should i step up the light? since they are on the clock or i keep 18/6.

Greetz