What's new

Shock: Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson favors marijuana legalization

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
By Stephen C. Webster
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 -- 3:29 pm

Robertson a welcome addition to drug reform circles, former narc tells Raw Story

Count this among the 10 things nobody ever expected to see in their lifetimes: 700 Club founder Pat Robertson, one of the cornerstone figures of America's Christian right movement, has come out in favor of legalizing marijuana.

Calling it getting "smart" on crime, Robertson aired a clip on a recent episode of his 700 Club television show that advocated the viewpoint of drug law reformers who run prison outreach ministries.
A narrator even claimed that religious prison outreach has "saved" millions in public funds by helping to reduce the number of prisoners who return shortly after being released.

"It got to be a big deal in campaigns: 'He's tough on crime,' and 'lock 'em up!'" the Christian Coalition founder said. "That's the way these guys ran and, uh, they got elected. But, that wasn't the answer."

His co-host added that the success of religious-run dormitories for drug and alcohol cessation therapy present an "opportunity" for faith-based communities to lead the way on drug law reforms.

"We're locking up people that have taken a couple puffs of marijuana and next thing you know they've got 10 years with mandatory sentences," Robertson continued. "These judges just say, they throw up their hands and say nothing we can do with these mandatory sentences. We've got to take a look at what we're considering crimes and that's one of 'em.

"I'm ... I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people. Young people go into prisons, they go in as youths and come out as hardened criminals. That's not a good thing."

Robertson has in recent years come under fire for increasingly flamboyant comments, such as calling for the assassinations of foreign leaders and blaming gay people for the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

Conservatives signing up for drug policy reform

The segment, while significant for illustrating a key conservative stalwart's shifting opinion on the drug war, was mainly a plug for a new conservative group called "Right on Crime," which parlays the arguments of groups like the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) into conservative-leaning messages.

"Our marijuana prohibition laws, which send people to prison for merely possessing a plant, are clearly immoral," LEAP executive director Neill Franklin, a former Baltimore narcotics officer, told Raw Story.

"As a Christian, and as a former law enforcer who is now working to undo the damage these laws have done to our families and our communities, I'm glad to see Pat Robertson joining the chorus of faith leaders calling for reform."

Some faith-based groups, like the Council of Churches and Church IMPACT, also helped promote California's failed Prop. 19 ballot initiative, which would have legalized marijuana cultivation, sales and consumption by adults over 21-years-old. It failed to gain a majority in the state's 2010 elections.

President Obama has maintained his opposition to the legalization of marijuana, although his Department of Justice has largely taken a hands-off approach to states where voters have approved the drug's use if prescribed by a doctor.

Pat Robertson was a Republican candidate for the presidency in 1980, but saw his political ambitions dashed in the primaries by Ronald Reagan. Though he later earned Robertson's endorsement, President Reagan went on to significantly escalate the war on America's drug users.

[The] video is from the 700 Club, broadcast by the CBN Network. (Segment on marijuana law reform is at beginning.)

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/12/...-pat-robertson-favors-marijuana-legalization/
That's weird, I thought Pat Robertson led the way for mandatory drug sentencing.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
Hopefully Robertson can stop the huge hypocricy of the Christians mission of helping their fellow man while at the same time supporting the incarceration of victimless crimes that turn otherwise law abiding citizens into hardens criminals and create a huge economical burden on tax payers.

nsaneone

There's definitely streaming video of this out there. It happens right at the beginning of the show. This is totally worth watching. I am absolutely amazed. It's for real, man. Unbelievable.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I guess church kids puff and get busted too. It'll take more than pastor Pat though. Commercial industry has the most to lose.

Don't believe in AGW, tobacco causes cancer, world government wants your money and freedom, etc? These same lobbies will spend hundreds of millions, trying to keep mom and pop believing that reefer is the spawn of Satan.

ambertrich

Veteran
"President Obama has maintained his opposition to the legalization of marijuana, although his Department of Justice has largely taken a hands-off approach to states where voters have approved the drug's use if prescribed by a doctor."

That second part is just bullshit. Eric Holder, his AG, is always spouting off about still being able to enforce federal law over state law in MMJ states. Especially Cali.

Of couse Obama admits to smoking dope in high school, and somehow got himself elected to the highest office in the land, but we still need to keep it illegal. Hypocrite, thy name is B.H.O (ironic ain't it).

robbiedublu

Pat Robertson comes out for legalization

Pat Robertson comes out for legalization

Shock: Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson favors marijuana legalization

By Stephen C. Webster
Wednesday, December 22nd, 2010 -- 3:29 pm

Stumble This! 7649
Share 18diggs
digg
Robertson a welcome addition to drug reform circles, former narc tells Raw Story

Count this among the 10 things nobody ever expected to see in their lifetimes: 700 Club founder Pat Robertson, one of the cornerstone figures of America's Christian right movement, has come out in favor of legalizing marijuana.

Calling it getting "smart" on crime, Robertson aired a clip on a recent episode of his 700 Club television show that advocated the viewpoint of drug law reformers who run prison outreach ministries.

A narrator even claimed that religious prison outreach has "saved" millions in public funds by helping to reduce the number of prisoners who return shortly after being released.

"It got to be a big deal in campaigns: 'He's tough on crime,' and 'lock 'em up!'" the Christian Coalition founder said. "That's the way these guys ran and, uh, they got elected. But, that wasn't the answer."

His co-host added that the success of religious-run dormitories for drug and alcohol cessation therapy present an "opportunity" for faith-based communities to lead the way on drug law reforms.

"We're locking up people that have taken a couple puffs of marijuana and next thing you know they've got 10 years with mandatory sentences," Robertson continued. "These judges just say, they throw up their hands and say nothing we can do with these mandatory sentences. We've got to take a look at what we're considering crimes and that's one of 'em.

"I'm ... I'm not exactly for the use of drugs, don't get me wrong, but I just believe that criminalizing marijuana, criminalizing the possession of a few ounces of pot, that kinda thing it's just, it's costing us a fortune and it's ruining young people. Young people go into prisons, they go in as youths and come out as hardened criminals. That's not a good thing."

Robertson has in recent years come under fire for increasingly flamboyant comments, such as calling for the assassinations of foreign leaders and blaming gay people for the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina.

Conservatives signing up for drug policy reform

The segment, while significant for illustrating a key conservative stalwart's shifting opinion on the drug war, was mainly a plug for a new conservative group called "Right on Crime," which parlays the arguments of groups like the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML) and Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) into conservative-leaning messages.

"Our marijuana prohibition laws, which send people to prison for merely possessing a plant, are clearly immoral," LEAP executive director Neill Franklin, a former Baltimore narcotics officer, told Raw Story.

"As a Christian, and as a former law enforcer who is now working to undo the damage these laws have done to our families and our communities, I'm glad to see Pat Robertson joining the chorus of faith leaders calling for reform."

Some faith-based groups, like the Council of Churches and Church IMPACT, also helped promote California's failed Prop. 19 ballot initiative, which would have legalized marijuana cultivation, sales and consumption by adults over 21-years-old. It failed to gain a majority in the state's 2010 elections.

President Obama has maintained his opposition to the legalization of marijuana, although his Department of Justice has largely taken a hands-off approach to states where voters have approved the drug's use if prescribed by a doctor.

Pat Robertson was a Republican candidate for the presidency in 1980, but saw his political ambitions dashed in the primaries by Ronald Reagan. Though he later earned Robertson's endorsement, President Reagan went on to significantly escalate the war on America's drug users.

ddrew

Veteran
I said on another board when I saw this
"raging atheist that I am, if Pat Robertson makes this happen, I will go to church every Sunday for a year."

One of the Jesus freaks main guys calling for reform may be just what it takes to get the rest of the "flock" to wake up.

Eugenics

Keep this in mind. Even when it's not about the money, its about the money. Not to be a naysayer, but he has something to gain, he bought land to get in on the action. Same, as Phillip Morris, bought land in the emerald triangle in case prop 19 passed. All the while contributing to another to campaign to keep it cannabis illegal.

B

BrnCow

It's time for those in control to stop using our own law systems to extort cash from their own voters and their kids. They need a new game that is played elsewhere...

sac beh

Isn't this the same guy who said gay marriage was a slippery slope to child molestation? And that immorality was to blame for Katrina and the earthquake in Haiti?

I guess its good that he's advocating legalization, but his motives are certainly suspect. If this were the beginning of him giving up religious fanaticism and teaching of hate and intolerance, then that would be even better news.

HUGE

Veteran
Religion is one of the most powerful sales tools in the world. If the pope and opera came out for legalization it would be done. I'm all for pat jumping on my wagon even if it is strictly for money.

toasted1

i saw this on tv the other day flippn thru channels and thought i was trippin :faint: but there clearly was a motive his whole thing was gettn wasted money away from prisons to church ran rehabs :chin: so instead of gov payn prisons it can pay churches and increase the flock

but maybe it will sway some hardheads out there :dunno:

stay safe
:smokey:

C

CANNATOPIA

Wow! I am shocked! This guy normally annoys me to no end! I cant believe he is telling millions of his Fanos to support. lol At one point in time I did not know what was scarier, that this dude has a show or the fact that there was this many people willing to watch & listen to him. Seems it may turn out in my favor if they support some of the same reform Ideas I do. + Points to them.

ddrew

Veteran
Most sense the guy has ever made.

Here's the first comment on the vid, lmao

"Pat Robertson, imma let you get a free pass on all the crazy shit you've ever said before. Just check yourself from now on and we'll be good."

Latest posts

Latest posts