What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shipping Container for making seeds???

ChemDogLover

I recently purchased a 20 foot shipping container. I had some stuff in storage that I was able to move into it and save that monthly expense.

I have five male plants in veg and was thinking when outdoor temps permit I would set up a tent inside the container and flower four or five of my favorite females with each male.

Only going to be able to do that at best four or five months a year. And then I’m really not sure. Would run the hps at night.

Today I am installing a 16” louvered exhaust fan. On the opposite end I am installing two passive intakes. This is required whether I grow in it or not as shipping container rain/condensation is a real thing.

Not sure it will work to flower in but I will
Probably try, just for sake of keeping pollen away from my grow room. I have found trying to keep a male in the building can lead to disaster 😂

Anyone try this? What are your thoughts?

xtsho

Go for it.

ChemDogLover

Keep the air turning over and you'll be fine.
1200cfm fan install underway
IMG_2303.jpeg

ChemDogLover

Go for it.

Thanks, but I’m not going no where that elaborate

Old Piney

Unless your looking to make a shit ton of seeds it just seem like a waste of time an energy to devote a whole grow set up to. If your only wanting a few hundred seeds , why not just isolate the males just before they flower and collect pollen and do some controlled pollination on select Females you got in flower? You could use just a fluorescent hung somewhere or just hide them outside if you can

ChemDogLover

Unless your looking to make a shit ton of seeds it just seem like a waste of time an energy to devote a whole grow set up to. If your only wanting a few hundred seeds , why not just isolate the males just before they flower and collect pollen and do some controlled pollination on select Females you got in flower? You could use just a fluorescent hung somewhere or just hide them outside if you can
I haven’t had luck with males in the same house with females. I will isolate.

Not really Building a separate grow area. The shipping container required ventilation anyway and was not done for growing but it will help. Just gonna set up an existing tent with existing fans and hps lights. I’m not really putting my effort or expense into this

X15

Cool set up you got going!

Hey just wanted to let ya know I was using the same exact Thermospeed Controller a while back and it failed on me. The room hit 104 degrees. Fortunately I was home and walked in on it before shit got too wild. But I only had it for a month or two before it failed. I was running a 6 inch inline fan off it.
Just thought I’d share. Hopefully it was just a random thing and not all those units are trash.
Good luck with your project! Looks rad!
Much Respect!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Solid plan!

That is one helluva exhaust fan! Like Dogzter said keep that air moving and it will be fine. Keeping the males in a different area is just peace of mind.

I too am curious about the cost of the container and also what genetics are you working with?

Cool project 👍

ChemDogLover

Cool set up you got going!

Hey just wanted to let ya know I was using the same exact Thermospeed Controller a while back and it failed on me. The room hit 104 degrees. Fortunately I was home and walked in on it before shit got too wild. But I only had it for a month or two before it failed. I was running a 6 inch inline fan off it.
Just thought I’d share. Hopefully it was just a random thing and not all those units are trash.
Good luck with your project! Looks rad!
Much Respect!
I appreciate it. I’ll keep an eye on it.

xtsho

I wanted to get one of those containers but I'd need a crane to lift it over the house into the backyard, then I'd probably have to get a permit to block the street, pay for flaggers, and who knows what other costs. I sure wish I had access so a truck could just drive in and drop it off. I'd have one right now for storage and a workshop if it was easy.

brickweeder

I guess I could with some tarps someway or another. I couldn’t use it where I live in the summer anyway. But mid March - May is a possibility.

Some kind of shade is not a terrible idea.
maybe a simple slant roof (with overhangs) made from lumber and corrugated sheeting? Be easy and cheap enough.

Latest posts

Latest posts