What's new

Shilajit for plants?

BigBozat

I have a big bottle of Shilajit and was considering giving a little to my plants. Any thoughts? read this product description...it looks like it's maybe just minerals and fulvic acid in a highly available form.

http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=526

Sorry so late with any sort of feedback... was just recently researching shilajit, and stumbled across your enquiry now...

So, if it's actual shilajit, it will have natural dibenzo-α-pyrones... which could/might be phytotoxic (deadly to plants), depending upon the source/method of mfr of the dibenzo-α-pyrones... generally, fungally-derived sources are phytotoxic.
:edit:
Apparently, also dependent on concentration dosage

The free radical-scavenging that is mentioned in the link is a function of anti-oxidant capability.
I don't know :dunno: whether fulvic acid, in & of itself, has anti-oxidant properties... but, I DO know that dibenzo-α-pyrones have significant anti-oxidant abilities.

see, e.g., http://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/19/4/508/pdf
:edit:
Also, see: http://www.ejbiotechnology.info/index.php/ejbiotechnology/article/view/v11n3-10/1
Apparently, it is being synthesized by microbial 'fermentation' via the molds responsible for, among other things, black mold, fusarium wilt, and botyritis... there's a patent related to the ejbiotech journal link above (issued to Natreon, inc.)... seems they license out their process to quite a variety of shilajit supplement mfrs/distributors...

:further edit:
From the ejbiotech article:
This postulate finds support from the fact that the microorganisms found in the “shilajit” rhizosphere are present only at the periphery and not in the core of the “shilajit” exudates (Ghosal, 2006). However, in fermentation experiments with low DBP concentration (0.001 mg/ml), the cell growth was even higher than that of the blank operation. At low concentration, “shilajit” conceivably acts as a nutrient to microorganisms and, as expected, in fermentation experiments with this low concentration of DBP, the yield of the desired end-product was poor.

My advice would be: Don't risk it... unless maybe you really hate a particular crop, or reallllllllly like to experiment just to see what happens & are willing to live with a dead crop.

At best, you manage to NOT kill the plants and/or the biota in the soil, and trigger some sort of systemic defense response in the plant that protects the plant from pathogens subsequently...
:further edit:
Correction: At low doses, there may be some benefit as food for some of the microbial life in the soil? Low meaning 0.001 mg/ml (1 ppm)!

More likely, it seems it'll just whack the plants, and maybe all of the beneficial mycorrhizal fungi & n-fixing & p-solubilizing bacteria.

Stick with good ol' fulvic acid, humic acid, humates, humus, etc.

And, if I'm too late replying, and you went thru with your experiment, please let us know the results.

Last edited:

Team Microbe

Veteran
Glad I found this post!

Glad I found this post!

I decided to run some tests with this resin this month, and what do ya know... it works really well!!!

I've been using 1 rice grain-size chunk per gallon of H20 for both drenching and foliars with good results:

picture.php

24 hours after a Shilajit foliar

picture.php

The plant on the left has been getting drenches once a week with no ill effects, while the plant on the right has been getting just plain water. Both are cuttings from the same mother (1976 Highland Thai x 1971 Kandahar Afghani)

picture.php

I've given the entire garden a Shilajit drench about a week ago, and things are looking pretty good so far. Plants are filling in rapidly here at Day 40

picture.php

A sad green bean plant was chosen to see what would happen...

picture.php

11 days later! This plant received 2 drenches and 1 foliar spray, and completely turned around.

I'm guessing the 85 minerals in ionic form has something to do with it, along with all of the (8) trace elements it's got. It could also be the fact that the fulvic acid content (35%) is making nutrients available for this plant that were possibly once unavailable. Whatever it was, it's replenished now because of Shilajit resin. Kinda cool, huh?

W

Welly

psssssst. I have some tonic on the cheap yall just refer to my web addy brotill.com/circlejerk_info

W

Welly

Hahahhaa, sorry to disappoint. I was being totally facetious towards homeboy for being an obvious snake oil pusher. That is most definitely not what I am about. I'm just about OG ganja cultivation with minimal effort 100% free of homeopathy and magic beans

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Hahahhaa, sorry to disappoint. I was being totally facetious towards homeboy for being an obvious snake oil pusher. That is most definitely not what I am about. I'm just about OG ganja cultivation with minimal effort 100% free of homeopathy and magic beans

Third-World-Skeptical-Kid.jpg

W

Welly

Honestly I'm not getting the meme. Must have been something I said...

You still suspect I'm old dude, even after ragging on his moms homeopathic ear medicine ipm? I just here for the herb man, no cootganics or shilaskeet

I wish I knew what was going on. I noticed that TM got banned. What am I missing? And I'm so confused about shilajit now. I used a small amount and have seen nothing bad. Is it just the heavy metals? If so would anyone know how many parts per million we would get at a grain of rice per gallon? I feel we need to ask the proper question. I may be using something worse and not know about it yet. Thanks��

Honestly...who puts random asian resins in their body? I'm even weary of goji berries...I wouldnt touch shitajit with a ten foot pole

Granger2

Veteran
Shooter,
How'd you find out that Team Microbe got banned? Is there a listing or something. Show me how. Thanks. -granger

Latest posts

Latest posts