What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shelving units for cloning

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
Hey guys

For the past 3 or so years...I have been hanging a single 2 bulb 4ft T8 fixture from my room ceiling down on to my cloning area. I am expanding a bit...and need to move my lights and stuff. Hanging the lights at this point wont work due to space...so I need a shelving unit with lights underneath that can be moved when I need to do res changes and such.

Any advice?

Something not too expensive preferably.

Thanks

TpM

fatigues

Veteran
Hey guys

For the past 3 or so years...I have been hanging a single 2 bulb 4ft T8 fixture from my room ceiling down on to my cloning area. I am expanding a bit...and need to move my lights and stuff. Hanging the lights at this point wont work due to space...so I need a shelving unit with lights underneath that can be moved when I need to do res changes and such.

Any advice?

Something not too expensive preferably.

Well, there are often plant nursery shelves on wheels with lights built in which come up all the time on craigslist which are perfect. I would check there first.

If you prefer, you can make your own using any shelving from Ikea or a similar base using Wal-Mart/Home Depot shop lights affixed on the bottom of the shelves, hanging over the top of the shelf below. T8s are cheap - T5's will do as well.

If you want to be able to wheel it around, use a wheeled baker's rack as your base. If you want it freestanding use Ikea shelves. If you can affix it to a wall, just use some adjustable shelf supports and MDF or Pine planks.

It's quite trivial to make your own using shop lights, frankly.

If you want to do more than clone / root seedlings with them, consider switching your lights from T5 or T8's to 6500k 55w PLLs. (To be clear, you could do it with T5s and T8s too, though PLL puts a *lot* of lumens over a small footprint.)

1000bulbs. com carries the ballasts WH3/WH5 and WH7 for 1, 2 and 3 bulbs, respectively)and 55w lamps. You will want 2G11 bases for your lamps if you go that route - about $1 each online from various sources.

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
I use freestanding epoxy coated wire shelving with castors. The shelves are adjustable in one inch increments and each shelf can hold up to 600-800 lbs. Available in different widths and lengths. I hang a florescent shop light with plant bulbs under each shelf shining on the one below it. Works great. A set can be found in the neighborhood of 200 bucks .
While I cannot recommend this site , here is an example of what I am describing.
http://www.theshelvingstore.com/18_Green_epoxy_coated_chrome_wire_3_shelf_unit_p/j18k-3-p.htm

Latest posts

Latest posts