What's new

She seems to be recovering. What more can I do?

A

alaw989

Water them with enough water to last them one day, everyday.

This is new to me. I've heard more people say to let the soil dry out. Check the soil about a knuckle deep to see if it's dry. You can tell it's dry by picking up the pot and comparing it to before and after a watering. Once the soil is dry then water it thoroughly.

What's better?

festerous

Veteran
Yes, you let the soil dry out then water with only what they drink, so every day the soil is dry.
The roots will fill the entire container much more evenly as during the first weeks of life all of the moisture will be located near the surface.

Not too mention the high amounts of oxygen the roots are receiving from the dry media on a daily basis

Or you could ask Lucas
http://www.asklucas.com/Lucas-On/over-under-water-feed.html

IslandGrown

How long do you leave your domes on? I don't even use them anymore with my seedlings because I get better results domeless. Looks like his plants need to dry out to me. At 3 weeks old, if still using a done, its time to gently coax them out of it and into the real atmosphere. I like what you say about letting the plants breath; I feel the need to add that the domeless time needs to be increased daily until the dome is no longer needed.

In ideal conditions with healthy seedlings i don't use domes, but if plants are sick i've found that a day or two of high humidity conditions can unshock them faster and encourage faster growth.(You can disagree with that completely! But it's just something that i've observed.) Because they were in shock, they're growth stunted so they're really not 3 weeks at this point, so it's definitely too early to be giving them nutrients even 1/2 the normal dosage (that's why i said 1/4). And i definitely agree that they need to dry out even this young you can see how the leaves are slightly drooped. The new growth looks better though!

IslandGrown

Water them on a three day schedule (with ph'd water)
Day 1 - water with nutes
Day 2 - regular water (to flush some unused nutrients out)
Day 3 - NO WATER! (to let the roots get oxygen)
When you water, pour until you get 20% runoff out the bottom.

hereigrow

In soil a wet dry cycle is the best method. With ffof u dont ned nutrs for at leasr a month especially considering thw size of your plant in relation to pot size...i have seen grows taken to harvest with no extra ferts in ffof. They had hardly any veg time but the point is that soil can feed a plant for a while with no help.

That poor plant was overwatered. Leaves curling down =root bound . Leaves curling down with pale slow growth and signs of nute toxicity= overwater.wet dry cycle,proper drainage. until the plant is established then overwatering is hard to do.

You are very patient bro i would have chucked that thing out and started over i hope its fem for all your efforts......

Hash Man

Are you saying it's better to put a layer of perlite mixed with soil at the bottom? Yea what I did was put a layer of straight perlite at the bottom and then I mixed my soil with roughly 30% perlite. Is this bad?

Sorry to confuse. I don't use a layer of perlite at the bottom of the pot anymore.

Looking at all the advice given in this thread, it's all pretty good, but I can see the possibility of confusion because people are giving advice fr different points of view. Seems everyone agrees that you were overwatering. You will get it down. There are many paths to the same destination. Some people keep their medium moist the whole time and never allow runoff. Some people saturate their pots to the point where water runs out the bottom of the pot. Also you could give a light foliar of kelp and humic acids to help it out of the slump.

Lol at whoeve is negative repping me for stating my experiences to help guide this guy to his own decision and to further learning. I won't say my method is the best but I have grown out many seeds, any one that thinks they know what's best in every scenario certainly needs to check their ego.

I found this picture of a rootbound plant online.

IslandGrown

Sorry to confuse. I don't use a layer of perlite at the bottom of the pot anymore.

Looking at all the advice given in this thread, it's all pretty good, but I can see the possibility of confusion because people are giving advice fr different points of view. Seems everyone agrees that you were overwatering. You will get it down. There are many paths to the same destination. Some people keep their medium moist the whole time and never allow runoff. Some people saturate their pots to the point where water runs out the bottom of the pot. Also you could give a light foliar of kelp and humic acids to help it out of the slump.

Lol at whoeve is negative repping me for stating my experiences to help guide this guy to his own decision and to further learning. I won't say my method is the best but I have grown out many seeds, any one that thinks they know what's best in every scenario certainly needs to check their ego.

I found this picture of a rootbound plant online.

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47021&pictureid=1097737&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Sorry your getting bad rep man, you helped more than most the people on this thread. I've only known a couple people that have used humic acid or kelp but i've heard good things! Do you use fulvic acid too? I've heard fulvic acid is a good bio stimulant as well.

Hash Man

Sorry your getting bad rep man, you helped more than most the people on this thread. I've only known a couple people that have used humic acid or kelp but i've heard good things! Do you use fulvic acid too? I've heard fulvic acid is a good bio stimulant as well.

Haha thanks man, it's cool. Some are so far behind in the race they think they are ahead! And they think they need to negative rep me to show what they think is they way to go. They should Quote me and prove me wrong, otherwise keep it constructive.

Anywho, the fulvic/humic combo seems to be the way to go. When I have plants in a funk, I have noticed a light kelp and humic foliar helps out. Have you seen the YouTube video of fulvic acid and what it does to green tea bag in cold water?

IslandGrown

Haha thanks man, it's cool. Some are so far behind in the race they think they are ahead! And they think they need to negative rep me to show what they think is they way to go. They should Quote me and prove me wrong, otherwise keep it constructive.

Anywho, the fulvic/humic combo seems to be the way to go. When I have plants in a funk, I have noticed a light kelp and humic foliar helps out. Have you seen the YouTube video of fulvic acid and what it does to green tea bag in cold water?

Yeah it turns the water like completely black! It's pretty cool actually! I've been drinking this water (http://naturogroup.com/77blackwater/) for a while and it makes me feel healthy, so why not my plants!

A

alaw989

First off I'd like to thank all of your for the incredibly helpful advice on my first rodeo.

Now for another update:

She seems to be loving her new home. There has been a huge growth spurt since the transplant. Here's a pic.

h18SinB.jpg

Now for another problem.

I have 2 seedlings that I'm worried about. One has broken ground and the other is right at the surface, but they have been this way for like 3 days. I germinated using the paper towel. Waited for the taproots to show, then dropped them 1/4 into the FFOF, put some domes over them, wet the soil thoroughly and put them in the dark. I let them stay in the dark for a couple days then moved them to my grow box and took the domes off because one had sprouted and the other one you could see was getting ready to break soil. Here's pics:

GxBh1A3.jpg

IHoC8Tc.jpg

Any ideas? I've been just leaving them alone because I don't want to kill them by poking at them. Should I try to take the shell off the one?

Hash Man

@IslandGrown - I may have to try that fulvic out myself. I saw that video and thought about how it was doing that for my nutrients, and then it all made sense about the ph buffering qualitites of humic/fulvic, put it all in perspective.

alaw989- That plant looks recovered. Now she needs food.

The second picture looks good. I cant tell whats going on in the first one. I always put my seedlings directly under light. A dark period does not seem to help in any way. I would leave it alone and not overwater. Keep your root temps in check along with the air temperature...

A

alaw989

alaw989- That plant looks recovered. Now she needs food.

The second picture looks good. I cant tell whats going on in the first one. I always put my seedlings directly under light. A dark period does not seem to help in any way. I would leave it alone and not overwater. Keep your root temps in check along with the air temperature...

Air temps range from 75-80 degrees F. What is your method for watering a seedling this size and how often? I am about to leave on a 4 day trip and want to make sure they have enough water.

A

alaw989

ANOTHER UPDATE:

Just came back from a 5 day vacation and this is what I get home to:
3rieSlU.jpg

How's she look?

Fed her today and attempted some LST:
SS2JSnJ.jpg

fJ3k85r.jpg

How does my LST look?

RetroGrow

Veteran
First off I'd like to thank all of your for the incredibly helpful advice on my first rodeo.

Now for another update:

She seems to be loving her new home. There has been a huge growth spurt since the transplant. Here's a pic.

View Image

Now for another problem.

I have 2 seedlings that I'm worried about. One has broken ground and the other is right at the surface, but they have been this way for like 3 days. I germinated using the paper towel. Waited for the taproots to show, then dropped them 1/4 into the FFOF, put some domes over them, wet the soil thoroughly and put them in the dark. I let them stay in the dark for a couple days then moved them to my grow box and took the domes off because one had sprouted and the other one you could see was getting ready to break soil. Here's pics:

View Image

View Image

Any ideas? I've been just leaving them alone because I don't want to kill them by poking at them. Should I try to take the shell off the one?

You can open "stuck" seeds using a dental pick. I use magnifying glasses when I do it and do it very slowly and carefully. Just pick at the edges and get the outer shell off. Be advised that there is also an inner membrane. This can also be removed if stuck by using dental pick. Just touch it lightly around the edges and keep poking at it gently, and it will come off and the cotyledon will open. Again, use magnifiers when doing this and be patient/go slowly.

N

noyd666

just grab a sharp small nail and prize it off=== carefully as you go . sometimes they want to pull out of coco ,so put thumb and finger near plants edge while getting there hat off.

Latest posts

Latest posts