What's new

Share your Outdoor Guerilla MISTAKES here:

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Biggest mistake would be growing outside with unknown genetics. You always need a harvest window, let alone knowing if the plant will even finish in time in your area.

2nd biggest mistake would be using guanos and fish based fertilizers. Especially in an area filled with large animals that enjoy the taste of fish. Coming upon your spot and finding your plants have been dug up by a family of bears really sucks.

What's the bigger mistake? Having plants with bad genetics or not having plants at all because the animals dug them up? Not everyone is out to grow cannabis cup quality bud outdoors.

eastbeast

What's the bigger mistake? Having plants with bad genetics or not having plants at all because the animals dug them up? Not everyone is out to grow cannabis cup quality bud outdoors.

I should have been more specific. These are the biggest mistakes that I personally have made. Bad genetics meaning bagseed or sativa-dominant plants that don't start flowering or showing sex until 3-4 weeks before the first frost.

And I would argue that growing "cannabis cup quality" bud outdoors is most certainly an option, especially with the advancements in outdoor and autoflowering strains.

JointOperation

Where you the guy who got filmed by a game cam set up on the trail by leo?

To actually get you for cultivation, unless you admitt to anything, they have to catch you cultivating.
So if the camera showed you standing in the middle of the patch with a watering can in your hand then you would have a hard time explaining that.
However if it just caught you on the trail nearby, or even at the patch just standing looking at the plants, then I don't see how they could get you for cultivation, unless you admitt to cultivating them.

ya. honestly.. u can always pull the i wandered into them.. and didnt know wat to do .lol

ive heard of them leaving a plant or 2 and staking it out.. and wen the grower sees his site is compromised.. alot of growers chop and take the hit.. well wen they get you chopping your plant and shit.. they got u for cultivating. and your fucked.. then if they prove you been doin it for years.. they can charge you with how ever many plants they found X the amount of years they have proof you been growing for.!!!.. its crazy..

ipumpon

The biggest mistake anyone can make when guerilla growing is to not put up a small fence around smaller plants. Even put a fence on top with zip ties so animals cannot get inside. Once the plants are bigger animals tend not to fuck with them as much. They love young soft juicy plants. I use green plastic garden fence.

this right here is the biggest thing I learned my first year, and ended up losing around 20 plants because of it.

Stinkymutt

Yes I agree as well , A fence is worth its weight. I also used liquid fence . I know people who put it right on the plants but I spray a big area around each patch. Also keep plants down to 2 or 3 plants at a spot and keep spots at least 50' apart . Around here civil air patrol flies looking for it so smaller numbers means harder to see.

Anders89

Many plants can be found in the wild that can be cut and make hundreds of clones these can be put as a natural fence against humans and animal nuicanse around your plants. My advice http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urtica_dioica Most of the time you wont even need to transplant these plants as they love the same type of soil as cannabis and therefore finding a spot where stinging nettle thrive most probably cannabis will thrive.

Waiting 2-4 weeks with putting out your plants eliminate most rodents problems.

Slugs dont like open ground so if you make big beds for your plants there will be less slugs.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I once added moisture crystals without soaking them first ,I also added extra...it uprooted all my clones lol

ipumpon

not planting close enough to a water source is a big one i learned, ended up being a huge task just to get water to the plants, i would never even consider another guerilla grow unless i know for sure i have a close water source.

not planting close enough to a water source is a big one i learned, ended up being a huge task just to get water to the plants, i would never even consider another guerilla grow unless i know for sure i have a close water source.

What are you a cop? That's one of the main things we avoid to keep from going to jail!

ipumpon

What are you a cop? That's one of the main things we avoid to keep from going to jail!

uh. yeah, ... ok. No i'm not a cop, thanks for being so friendly. my spots do not have any regular people traffic, so maybe i should have been more specific, water access is my main priority, my first experience growing outdoors i planted too far from water and ending up having to work a lot of extra hours to get water to them.

how exactly do you water your plants if you cant get water to them einstein?

crazy_eagle

Using fish fertilizer out in the bush came back the next day and a bear tore every hole up and found the container and chewed on that for awhile as well! Never again!:tiphat:

ipumpon

Using fish fertilizer out in the bush came back the next day and a bear tore every hole up and found the container and chewed on that for awhile as well! Never again!:tiphat:

lmao.

i had this with blood meal, coons or skunk took out a bunch of them. of course, i wasnt using cages, either.. stupid me. live and learn. :tiphat:

SmokeyTheBear

Pot Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Planting near a water source is dumb because it's usually a well traveled area. Either by fisherman or hikers....etc.... Plant enough plants in one plot so that you can carry two five gallons jugs with you at one time. One gallon of water per plant is enough for me to keep plants happy for three days in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity. On average the temps here in the summer is 75 degrees so that one gallon of water is usually enough to keep the plant alive for one week on normal weeks.

ipumpon

well smokey my first time i planted about 4 miles from the nearest water source, and it was brutal. now i plant within a mile.. and i do just fine. thats just me tho. sorry if you thought i was talking about lining the banks of a creek/river with plants. and again around where i am there is no foot traffic.

Sorry about that, I meant to follow that sentence with an "lol" it's just everywhere you read about how LEO's find spots is they look close to water.

how exactly do you water your plants if you cant get water to them einstein?[/quote]

Water absorbing polymers, water crystals whatever you want to call it (they give you about a week-10 days between rain/watering). I also make small terraces out of dirt to channel water towards the plants. You can get creative and irrigate your hole to allow a certain water level and using gravel buried under the surface and spread much wider to create your own water table that is less likely to flood your roots. However this takes SOOO much effort and really only protects from over watering, and not as much on the underwatering side. By taking advantage of the polymers and gravity/terrain you can plant and leave aside from long lasting nutrients and watering during a drought. I live in an area that permits letting nature take over, but I am hundreds of yards from homes etc, not miles. So I do a plant -and-pray scenario and hope my plants are there for a swift harvest.

Also, I try to avoid going withing about 100 yards of my spots unless I have a face covering and my shoes covered. Trail cams are cheap, cops know this. I would rather run out, chop my plants and run with complete plants stuffed in a backpack full of lighter fluid. Torch it if I hear somebody after me. I also take that concept further by running a shallow buried garden hose uphill from my grow and having it end in a "soaker hose" around my plants. You can water from 100 feet away and hopefully out of view or at a vantage point, where the cops won't expect to look.

Latest posts

Latest posts