What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shanghai - pros and cons

trakulis

Hello dear tokers, long time no cheking this site, but in hard times, comes hard decissions! ;D

What could somebody say about scoring in Shanghai city? I will be there for two weeks, and would love to enjoy this city on some medecine!

Hit me up if somebody have some ideas!

daneye

Not been to Shanghai but have lived in China for nearly 4 years now. Shanghai I imagine will be like other major cities such as Beijing and Guangzhou in that its easy to score. Can't really help with specifics but your best bet would be to visit the main nightlife area within the city and your likely to be offered something by various west African and Uighur men. Rule of thumb is that the Uighur's have better product and prices particularly when it comes to hashish. Despite the draconian drug laws here, cannabis is very easy to obtain in the large cities with sizable expat populations and isn't heavily policed at all, provided you don't act the fool ;) (with Beijing being the exception). Lastly the ethnic Han Chinese rarely smoke and I have only met a handful who did, so asking them isn't likely to yield the best results. Hope this helps.

xplodngKeys

I was out there last year for work (beer industry) so things might have changed.

Totally unweed related, check out Jackie's Beer Nest (if you like beer). His shop is just off the Laoximen subway line (intersection of blue & purple subways). Jackie is a cool dude, if the vibe is there then you might casually ask him about it... but one thing you SHOULD ask him about are these peanut butter dumplings - tell him a bunch of Canadians sent you his way.

Also, a bunch of French expats like hanging out at Jackie's Beer Nest so they're worth striking up a conversation and then asking about hookups. If you start off early in the conversation and bitch about the pollution then you'll make friends pretty easily.

As for scoring weed, somewhere around Jiaotong University and Hongqiao Road subway stops there was a really friendly Nigerian (yeah yeah....) who asked if I wanted to purchase weed or cocaine. I didn't, but we had a good chat since we were the only non-Shanghaineese we had seen in the last few days. Hang out in that area and just walk around the block a few times. The guy came to me by a little corner store.

You'll probably be able to source some out if you hit up El Luchador (a Mexican pub run by some Canadians from Montreal IIRC) on Yongkang Rd. Take the Shaanxi South Road subway exit (purple line) and walk against traffic (south) along Xiangyang S Rd until you hit YongKang Rd with westbound traffic.

Oh, be prepared to get lost a lot. That damn city is a maze. Also, there's a pretty good scam with people inviting you to go to tea with them, politely decline unless you want 800rmb worth of entertainment.

Your next bit of luck would be at Boxing Cat brewery (run by a dude named Michael Jordan... he's the balding white guy. If the bartenders aren't swamped then they'll probably be able to help you out.

Then the next spot would be a cafe run by a dude from Vancouver (or Vancouver Island?). IIRC its on Tongren Rd just north of Najing W Rd & will be on the west side of the street. Ask the Canadian looking white guy haha. Unfortuantely I have no clue what his name is or the name of his cafe but he does have a small bottleshop (their name for a liquor store) next door that looks like a newspaper stand.

And lastly, and not weed quest related (although you might ask) if you like cocktails then check out el Ocho and the bartender named Yoshi. Its on Taixing Lu (Wujiang Lu) and a little hard to find. Google says its north of the Nanjing West Road (green) subway, head north en route on Taixing Rd to W Suzhou Rd but memory puts it like 15 blocks West in the middle of some shopping district in a little courtyard. Across the courtyard from a pub that serves a lot of shitty draft beer and is really Americanised. If there's a tonne of loud Americans then you're in the right place.

Anyhow, Yoshi makes the best cocktails I've EVER had. He made me this one with 4 different gins and 2 whiskeys that was smoked, worth every penny of the 100rmb that it cost me.

Oh!! I really recommend checking out the Tianshan Tea City. There is more tea there than you can shake a stick at and a really great place for picking up souvenirs if you're into tea - they're legit though, all the Chinese people shop there. I swear oolong tastes better from the little tea sets. Take the Loushanguan Road or Zongshan Park (green) subway or the Yan'an West Rd (yellow) subway. These 3 subways basically form a triangle with the Tianshan Tea City in the middle - Zongshan Park is at the top, Loushanguan is to the West and Yan'an West is to the east.

Ah and one last bit of advice, lots of taxi drivers will try to nail foreigners on fairs. Late at night they turn off their meters and charge 100rmb for a trip, if you walk 2 or 3 blocks away then you can usually pick up a reputable taxi after the subway stops running.
You can basically cross the city from the river to the Middle Ring Road for 50rmb so 100rmb is highway robbery.

Hope that helps!

xplodngKeys

Oh & a bit of advice, Google doesn't work out there. Not sure how good Apple Maps are but if I was go to back I'd just do a Google print-out of the places I wanted to see and use that in combination with the tourist map.

The tourist subway map is pretty useful so if you combine that with a zoomed in Google Map printout (use a nice amount of detail but not too small you can't find the location on your tourist map - I'd zoom in until you can see 2 or 3 major roads running N-S or E-W) then you'll be good to go.

Oh & directions to Jackie's Beer Nest. Laoximen subway, walk West on Fuxking Middle Road and then South on Dongtai Rd (will be a left turn) and then hang a right (west) on Yancheng Rd. The shop is either the 3rd or 4th store from the corner iirc.

sadpanda

http://www.thegooddrugsguide.com/blog/0801/7-countries-you-dont-want-to-get-caught-with-drugs-in/
You said you're "there for two weeks" ...
6. China

From January 2005 to May 2006, China has convicted more than 53,000 people for various drug offenses, with more than 22,000 handed down harsh penalties including life imprisonment or the death penalty, even for non-violent drug offenses such as drug smuggling, trafficking, and production. And if there’s a country that beats Saudi Arabia—and the rest of the world for that matter—in sheer number of executions, it’s China. An estimated 470 people were executed in China in 2007, many of them drug offenders.
Each to their own but I'd personally opt for two weeks without pot if it meant keeping a pulse :p

Latest posts

Latest posts