What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sexing males and harvesting pollen

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
I see that a lot of AF strains show males in around 2-3 weeks and I wondered about something.

I want to seed "some" of my AF - maybe 1 or 2 (when I get them going, this is all hypothetical right now) and so I want to harvest pollen for specific pollenation later on.

My questions,

how long after a male shows sex is it until the pollen is ready to harvest and still be safe to collect? (without him blowing his little load I mean).

after that, how long after females show sex is it until you use the pollen itself?... and is that the same for any strain? or just AFs?

how many seeds does one AF plant produce on avg?

cheers
j

Botanist

I would say just let them pollinate all your girl. then go for the bud next time. Save yourself some headache.

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
thanks but thats not really viable. the cab they will be in vents into my flower tent and I don't want to pollenate anything in there...target pollenation doesnt look at all difficult (http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111797), its just a matter of timing... if I leave it too late to collect the pollen all the plants will be seeded... if I take it too early, none of the plants will get seeded...maybe I'll have to find somewhere to isolate them, it's probably easier :smile:

the alternative will be to pull all the males and not get any seeds, which would be a shame :smile:

C

cork144

stagger in the seeds, 10 seeds, plant 2 every couple of days or so, pull males from the first planted, use one of the last males that shows to polenate one of your first females.