What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Setting up New Computer

Got a new one, desktop i5, pretty good basic unit. I am not any kind of wiz at all, never used flash drive or external. Got a USB transfer cable, not a lot of info there, looks like files are just drag and drop or transfer.. Main ? is internet stuff to transfer, bookmarks, esp hotmail, addys, saved msgs and the like. Tips? Also what can I skip - I would guess any windows updates, esp. since the old is XP new is Win7. Also, I have some paid tume up programs, will they migrate? Appreciate anything for a Luddite :tiphat:

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
depending on your browser, if you go to file/then import/export
you can export a standalone file with all your shit that can then be imported on the new install of windows

RubeGoldberg

Veteran
also no to needing to transfer windows updates, and your hotmail is web based so that is accessible from any computer with internet.

all programs you've installed on the old computer will need to be reinstalled on the new one.
paid programs will require you to download them from the company's website, then get a special code for your subscription which you use to activate the installs on your windows 7 pc (eg antivirus software or anything you've paid for a licence of but don't have the cd)

Well using a USB transfer cable moved most all easier than I figured it would be. Other than what RG mentioned on contacting vendors, the only step needing a bit of fiddling was the mail and contacts stuff. This new unit night and day better too :)