What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Setting up my first tent...all feedback welcome

Gertz

Hey everyone

Had a vacation and some busy times at work but this thread is not dead. Been working out everything and making sure I cover all bases and learning what I can before getting started. I also have another vacation mid-august and dont want to start until Im back...though I might start picking everything up before hand.

Anyone have any good links on LED wattage per square foot of grow space?

Again because of space limitations I need to use smaller tents and was wondering if 1 300w Marshydro (~130w draw) would cover the 3.75(2)ft adequately or if I should get 2 to be safe? I read 25w per square foot was good for LED but I'm not sure and there is not a lot of information about the small tent grows with LED. They are usually 150w HPS.

Thanks everyone

- Gertz

theJointedOne

Veteran
Try some different genetics. The companies you listed aren't very active, and surely sell old seed stock. Check out the forums and some of the active breeders on here who actually breed some dank, not nirvana and kc brains, no disrespect but meh

Gertz

Try some different genetics. The companies you listed aren't very active, and surely sell old seed stock. Check out the forums and some of the active breeders on here who actually breed some dank, not nirvana and kc brains, no disrespect but meh

Any suggestions on seeds? Id like to stay out of the higher price range until my grow is dialed in a bit and it make sense to invest further.

- Gertz

psyphish

Veteran
Any suggestions on seeds? Id like to stay out of the higher price range until my grow is dialed in a bit and it make sense to invest further.

- Gertz

Humboldt Seed Organization has never let me down when it comes to feminized seeds. Very good price/quality, I can't compare the strains to the original clone-onlies since I'm in Europe, but every strain has pretty much matched their description.

Just germinated their 707 Headband and Ewe-2.

Gertz

Its been a bit but thanks everyone.

Had a few vacations and work business from my last post until recently but I just ordered my tent, light and 6" duct fan. I also finally got around to getting my rec, putting that off really was what was keeping me from moving forward with everything else.

I'm likely buying bubblicious and ppp from Nirvana direct. Again, not looking to spend a lot on seeds and right now they are giving 10 seeds with every order, they are cheap and its not a huge loss as I screw things up for the first few grows.

I will be doing half gallon Hempy bags to start with. Seems super simple.

GadgetGuy

I'd definitely stick to a mostly indica strain. There are ways to work with your space. At first you obviously won't have a mother plant unless you put that work in. Once you do have a mother plant you could do a bunch of clones in small square pots and flower them once you see new growth. More smaller plants work great in small spaces like that. Add a screen to train them through after you flip 12/12 and you can keep the canopy low while they stretch. Watering might be a challenge but there are ways to accomplish it, you might even be able to get away without a screen if you flower them short enough. Keep your post updated as you go.

Another option is to find a container that is similar to the length/width of the tent but not very tall. Then you could do a scrog, but that would require more veg time. I'm not sure what LED you have but I know that my LED's have a habit of making seedlings/small clones a little angry until they get some roots into their environment so keep an eye on that. I spent a few grows pulling my hair out chasing nutrient deficiencies/lock out only to realize my plants just had too much light on them. It might not be a bad idea to veg with something softer like a t-5 or cfls. My plants looked like they were going to die but when I put a T5 in there they started greening up and growing nice pretty fast. Once they got healthy looking I put the LED's back in and all was good.

Last edited:

Gertz

I'd definitely stick to a mostly indica strain. There are ways to work with your space. At first you obviously won't have a mother plant unless you put that work in. Once you do have a mother plant you could do a bunch of clones in small square pots and flower them once you see new growth. More smaller plants work great in small spaces like that. Add a screen to train them through after you flip 12/12 and you can keep the canopy low while they stretch. Watering might be a challenge but there are ways to accomplish it, you might even be able to get away without a screen if you flower them short enough. Keep your post updated as you go.

Thanks, yes Looking for the indica dominant strains. They work better for me anyway. While I like the creative high I get from Sativas I also usually get super paranoid from them as well.

I expect to get another tent and light in the next 6 weeks. This will allow me to keep one as a mother/clone tent and one for flowering. The clones would go into flower as soon as they root.

Thanks again for the feedback

Gertz

Hey everyone

Got the tent set up with the light and 6" duct fan to see how temps are.

After about 2 hours of being completely sealed it was sitting at 82 degrees. I opened one side vent for passive intake and its dropped to 79 degrees and has been there for a steady 4 hours now.

I want to try and get it down to 74 degrees or so, going to open a second passive vent and see how it goes. Its my benchmark before trying to put any plants in the tent since I expect it will go up a few degrees as well.

The tent is a small one 30x18x36 inches and its a 300w Mars Hydro LED that's pulling 135 from the wall.

Thoughts?

- Gertz

Attachments

• ambient temp.jpg
    ambient temp.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 11
  • tent test.gif
    tent test.gif
    131.6 KB · Views: 13

Gertz

Not much news on the temp front, I dont think there is much I can do unless I vent into the wall which wouldnt be a great idea where I am at. The next idea would be to make one of those $10 fan/cooler air conditioners to drop the temps.

I picked up a 10 pack of Nirvana Blue Mystic, mainly as a low smell strain that had decent reviews. It was also on sale for $17.50 which is a steal along with the 10 free mystery seeds that were included.

I dropped 4 mystery seeds two days ago and all have cracked as of today. Ill likely follow up this weekend with a grow report in another thread.

Thanks to all that posted to get me up and running

G

Would you still have negative pressure with all 3 bottom flaps open? If so see how that does. A constant 79 degrees with the lights on doesn't sound bad at all. If you can light block the bottom flats you could keep them open the whole time. (vacuums the opening from time to time). I use wide pieces of cardboard to block the incoming light. I just tilt it against the tent.
Take a look at Peak Seeds BC for high quality reasonable priced seeds.
OC