What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Setting up an EZ Cloner 120

Y

yamaha_1fan

Picking one of these up today due to lack of time to build one.

Any advise?

Does it need to be sterilized befor 1st use? how long?

yamaha - clean it before hand...I use a diluted bleach solution...just make sure you rinse well, but there are several cleaners that will work. Also, I would suggest running it for 24 hours before putting clones in just to make sure there are no leaks or other problems. In addition, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Aerokush101 as far as using all those additives, I'm using straight tap (7.2 ~100ppm) with no ph adjustment or anything until the roots show. I also used to put tons of crap in my aero, but slowly started removing things only to discover that cuts were rooting just as well without the additives/

albert

B

Blunted22

yamaha the 120 is a great peice of work but its big as hell lol i was surprised wen i set up mine but its all good i would also pick up a temp guage that can be dropped in the water so u dont have to open the lid to check on water temps... and depending on where u live u might need a water heater....

after 2 years my ez cloners pump was over heating my water i just bought a smaller pump for it and the temps are back down to 78 degrees but these things are absolutly amazing .... also a godo air stone or two i use in mine as well good luck man these rock...

Y

yamaha_1fan

Thanks, I am going to set it up in a bit.

Albert I agree. It seems like the general consenus is clones cant use any nutes till they have roots. I may use hygrozyme though.

I actually plan on vegging in these for a week or two to get my plants a little bigger and have bigger roots before throwing them into the SOG

headees

Yama whats up friend. I have similar cloning problems as you meaning I cant come up with enough fast enough, and I too used a ez clone 120. The only problem with what you are doing is that you are switching from basically aeroponics to soil, or in your case coco, which is okay but not great.

Water roots are different from soil roots, so if you grow roots with that cloner, it will take a week for the clones to grow their soil roots. They actually will grow out of the water roots. I played around with the whole easy cloner thing for a while and abandonned it beacause it uses alot of nutes. Why you might ask? Because the ninnys at ez clone didnt make it sealed correctly so mine both leaked and evaporated really quickly. I was adding a gallon a day along with green fuse and other nutes like hygrozyme and b-1 thrive alive. Well it wasnt long before I had pissed through some real money just making clones. And sinse I grow in soil, it was actually slower than rapid rooter plugs. I even duct taped my brand new unit so it wouldnt leak as much. And it was just a waste for my needs. I played with the thing for two months after finally putting it away. I now use plugs again because one capful of green fuse root stimulator can make 100 plugs, but 1 capful in that machine would last about a day unless I jimmy rigged my brand new ez cloner with ghetto tape. I also had ph headaches that were easily remedied, but still more trouble than it was worth.

Other issue is the time factor. I can get %80 success with rapid rooters in 6 days with the right combo of nutes, but my ez clone would do about 55% in a week, especially if growing during the winter when floors and rooms are cooler. So once again, I really think those cloners are better suited for aero or hydro only. Soil can be done, but not as quick and as cheap. I wish the cloner wasnt black either since mine sat in my veg room, my 1000 watt mh lamps would heat the unit up from across the room 8 ft away. I used regular fluros for the easy clone, but the light from eight feet away would heat the unit up to 82 f making it impossible to use in that room, forcing me again to have a fourth grow room in tha house. Hope my headaches help Yama!

Y

yamaha_1fan

Thanks for the heads up headees but I do not grow in coco. I run ebb and flo in hydroton beds. I do have a coco mat underneath but thats hardly growing coco.

I know a couple people on this board running similiar SOG grows like mine using an EZ-Cloner or DIY version with great success. It takes about 18 days average to get roots on rapid rooters. The cloner should shorten it, plus I can veg in it.

Worse comes to worse, I put it on ebay

SuperLarry

i would recommend the dilluted beach cleaning as well. you can use tap water preffered unless your tap water is hard (maybe > 300) then use r/o. using this machine kind of depends on your ambient temperatures it seems. but don't let your water get above 80deg. if its getting too hot you can elevate the machine off the floor or table so air comes under it that should cool it a bit. worse comes to worse some people run pumps on and off every 15 mins, but that will burn your pump out pretty fast. also i've had problems with running it too cold, and the plants just stay in stasis. i wouldn't recommend any additives or gels or anything, just cut them and put them right in. of course trim the leaves too. doesn't take much light at all. good luck.

D

Delta Force

Albert Hofmann said:
yamaha - clean it before hand...I use a diluted bleach solution...just make sure you rinse well, but there are several cleaners that will work. Also, I would suggest running it for 24 hours before putting clones in just to make sure there are no leaks or other problems. In addition, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Aerokush101 as far as using all those additives, I'm using straight tap (7.2 ~100ppm) with no ph adjustment or anything until the roots show. I also used to put tons of crap in my aero, but slowly started removing things only to discover that cuts were rooting just as well without the additives/

albert
100% agree with this. I used to use additives too and then just went back to tap water........2ec 7ph and get awesome results within 2weeks......last batch of FFA and Giesel rooted in 6days. Left them in for an additional 2 days to get huge roots. When I see roots sometimes I add my bcuzz root to really charge the roots for transplant into medium of choice. What is important is temp inside cloner. With the 120 you should be good cuz it hold a large volume of water so the pump doesn't over heat it. In the smaller(mine) it can be finicky. I place mine on a bare floor to keep temps between 70-78. Best results occur for me when stable temps are kept.

Y

yamaha_1fan

I set it up yesterday and threw a heater inside as the tap water is still pretty cold. Today temp was 78 and I lowered the heater some. It is sitting on the concrete floor so I know the floor is cool.

Damn it, 24 hours and no roots. Whats going on? My EZ Clone is defective

LOL J/K

I actually plan on vegging in mine once I get it going. I think if it works good, I will be getting 3 more

SuperLarry

you could def get away with a little big of a veg in the ez. just dont add the nutes until they have all rooted, and go super light. also of course ph the nute solution.

GirthDogg

any updates yet?

I think you'll be happy. I have an EZ-Clone as well and I absolutely love it. Those leaks mentioned above worried me a bit, but I'm chalking that one up to a lemon I guess b/c mines works perfectly every time with no problems whatsoever. It's a bit cumbersome to clean, but otherwise it's top-notch. And I'm another in favor of the mild bleach rinse when finished (great for cleaning inside the jets).
I'm curious to try the no-nute method soon as previously mentioned. I've always used Hydroguard, Hygrozyme, and B'cuzz Root. Maybe next time I'll try tap. Who knows.

I transfer mine straight from the EZ to the dirt every time with no problems at all. Those roots love getting a hold of some earthy richness!! lol

Y

yamaha_1fan

I'll say I am a little disappointed. No roots yet. I was hoping to see some bumps at least by now

So its been 7 days, no roots. Clones look great though. No yellowing or wilting.

I have been checking on them but have been busy trimming. Finished that up today. Tomorrow I am going to dump and fill with fresh water.

I didnt add any thing. No nutes, no hygrozyme, nothing. I thing I PHed it though.

I didnt trim any leaves. For some reason I thought I didnt need to. Think I should trim the leaves?

Mine doesnt leak. I see a bit of water around the edges where the top fits in but no way the water comes over the lip.

BTW I did go to 15 min on/15 min off a couple days ago.

ANy other hints to get these to root faster? A few more days and this will only be equal to my rapid rooters, not faster

GirthDogg

It isn't absolutely necessary, but a timer is a very good idea.

I have an NFT-2 Recycle Timer from C.A.P. that I use on the EZ-Clone and it's perfect for this machine. It cycles the power On for 3 minutes, then Off for 5 min for whatever you plug into it. It makes the EZ almost completely maintenance free during operation.

I have a 45 node unit sitting on a propagation Mat on a sheet of (Plywood shelf). I had roots within 10days and i looked yesterday and the root system has exploded. Hang in there

:rasta:

GirthDogg

Exactly!!! :yeahthats

Hang in there, mine used to worry me as well before I got used to playing the waiting game.
You're leaves are still looking healthy so you should be good.

I have a EZ cloner that I used for 1.5 years with nearly 100% success. However I find rapid rooters to be not only a lot less maintenance but also much faster with a stronger root mass. The main problem I was having with my EZ was high res temps, so after I got tired of putting frozen bottles of water in it 3 times a day I bought a chiller for it. That fixed my temp problem, but still took over 2 weeks to root. when all is said and done Im back to the rapid rooters.

ithruxix

Maybe you aren't scraping the sides of the stem, or not putting enough stem in?

Put a little clonex in there, not much. Little goes a long way. That should help.

Kozmo

Veteran
I don't know but I've had mine set up and running for the past 24 hours and I've come to find the tent I'm keeping it in full of water twice now.
Either it's leaking out the drain plug which I've got SUPER tight. Or it's bubbling up the rim and floating the top up somehow. Have it pinched down with c clamps now.
Hope the clones make it!

Oh also put a 15 minute on and 15 minute off timer on it so if it is the cover it has time to drain.