What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Senators will introduce a federal medical marijuana bill tomorrow [TUES]

berad4guvna

Even if its only CBD/hemp oil, it begins the parting of the waters. It will also give us as a community the platform to act civil and show the uniformed the true beauty that this plant has to offer.

peace

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
-Even if its only CBD/hemp oil...

do you realize how big a step backward that would be? Co and Wa giving up what we've gained for hemp oil... thats like telling a man he can no longer eat steak simply because the baby cant have any... and making it schedule 2 would force the feds to start being all judicious setting their limits and restrictions on what folk can and cant do with a godforsaken dried flower...
Their restrictions could never legally allow someone to produce a schedule 2 narcotic in the safety of their own home.

think about that... schedule 2 is no step forward... its a sidestep into a cage.

Schedule 2.... Cannabis would be equal to Methamphetamine... and treated the same.

that's not better.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
-Even if its only CBD/hemp oil...

do you realize how big a step backward that would be? Co and Wa giving up what we've gained for hemp oil... thats like telling a man he can no longer eat steak simply because the baby cant have any... and making it schedule 2 would force the feds to start being all judicious setting their limits and restrictions on what folk can and cant do with a godforsaken dried flower...
Their restrictions could never legally allow someone to produce a schedule 2 narcotic in the safety of their own home.

think about that... schedule 2 is no step forward... its a sidestep into a cage.

Schedule 2.... Cannabis would be equal to Methamphetamine... and treated the same.

that's not better.

I respect your post, and your opinion, but you clearly have not read the bill and do not understand what it says. The very first sentence says that the federal government will no longer meddle in the medical programs of the 23 medical states. That is to say, they WILL respect medical marijuana programs implemented by those 23 states. This is called "the concept of federalism". If you can show the wording in the bill text that supports what you say, I would love to to see you paste the bill text and explain how it supports your analysis.

The bill can be rightfully criticized for not respecting the States recreational programs. In other words, it does not introduce the concept of federalism to the states recreational programs. The feds will continue to be able to arrest recreational users and growers that are legal on the state level. This is a compromise that I'm willing to accept, because it's not realistic that they will pass a bill to protect legal recreational on the state level. Since only five states or so have legal recreational, as more states pass recreational laws more and more, then eventually a new bill could be drafted to introduce the concept of federalism to state recreational laws.

Even if this bill *did* implement the concept of federalism to state recreational laws, the the citizens in the 45 states without recreational laws are still completely screwed, because they'll continue to be arrested by state level law-enforcement.

Last edited:

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
It's not like we're debating defoliating or lollipoping. When misinformation is spread about laws it potentially affects the lives of hundreds of thousands of people and results in thousands of years imprisonment. That's why I'm so adamant about making sure people are clear on the subject and not just spouting totally bogus information that ends up with people potentially being imprisoned unnecessarily.

Last edited:

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm really more concerned about this splitting the community & the MMJ crowd getting complacent about what they have vs the ultimate goal for all of us, which is legalization.

"I got mine" attitudes wouldn't be helpful at all. Prohibitionists are just trying to pull back & regroup, build MMJ only defenses. If we keep the pressure on they won't be able to do that & we can roll right over 'em, force legalization at the federal level, too.

We're already getting some of that from the big names in MMJ, the Stanley Bros being the most obvious. Move out of CO because of "dope pushers?" Really? Don't talk shit, just do it. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out, either.

There's already a huge rift that needs mending if out ultimate goal of freedom for the plant is to be realized.

The medical only attitude is fuckin huge & the biggest driver of these campaigns. Med Only is the reason States like Ohio are attempting to create State run monopolies.

I, myself, have gotten into some pretty heated arguments with a few "med only" fucktards.

It's the American way...
I got mine... now fuck you!

This IS what we are going to see and this IS the reason for placing the plant in Sched 2 instead of removing from scheduling all together.

We The People have not experienced representative governence since long before I was born & I ain't no kid!

Peeps need to fight for all their Rights, not just a selected few.
Peeps need to allow others the exercise of their Rights as well!

BEING SICK DOES NOT AFFORD YOU RIGHTS OVER OTHER INDIVIDUALS!
If you think it does, I think you're an oxygen thief!

I have just as much Right to recreate as you do to medicate!

Rights are inate, not granted!

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I respect your post, and your opinion, but you clearly have not read the bill and do not understand what it says. The very first sentence says that the federal government will no longer meddle in the medical programs of the 23 medical states. That is to say, they WILL respect medical marijuana programs implemented by those 23 states. This is called "the concept of federalism". If you can show the wording in the bill text that supports what you say, I would love to to see you paste the bill text and explain how it supports your analysis.

The bill can be rightfully criticized for not respecting the States recreational programs. In other words, it does not introduce the concept of federalism to the states recreational programs. The feds will continue to be able to arrest recreational users and growers that are legal on the state level. This is a compromise that I'm willing to accept, because it's not realistic that they will pass a bill to protect legal recreational on the state level. Since only five states or so have legal recreational, as more states pass recreational laws more and more, then eventually a new bill could be introduced to introduce the concept of federalism to state recreational laws.

Even if this bill *did* implement the concept of federalism to state recreational laws, the the citizens in the 45 states without recreational laws are still completely screwed, because they'll continue to be arrested by state level law-enforcement.

YOU CLEARLY ARE THE ENEMY!

WTF???

YOU DON'T CARE IF YOUR BROTHERS & SISTERS GO TO PRISON???

WTF IS WRONG W YOU?

TheArchitect

Veteran
Way to respond like the older adult you claim to be.

Nobody here wants our brothers and sisters locked away for a plant.

When legalization comes to vote in my state, I'll vote yes, supposing the bill is written well.

Until then it medical. The feds aren't going full blown legal right away.

Prohibition only ended because enough states said it was time. Same deal here, we are well on our way to seeing it happen in the next decade.

HUGE

Veteran
The states have regulated cannabis without any federal oversight whatsoever. Agencies like the DEA, FDA, Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP), National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) and National Institute of Health (NIH) have been unable to impose extra rules or influence local regulations.

Move cannabis down in the schedule scheme, even one notch, and all the agencies listed above would suddenly have tremendous power over every aspect of the plant. The acronyms would come with their own armies of lawyers and lobbyists well honed in the realm of big medicine, pharma and government.

Moving marijuana to Schedule II may actually undo the state-level marijuana reform laws by putting the federal government back in the driver's seat. Alcohol and tobacco are not in the CSA. No Schedule II drugs (which include cocaine and Oxycontin) are legally sold for recreation.

Of course, there is another option, one that could (and should) still be considered. In order for federalism to truly prevail marijuana should be completely removed from the Controlled Substances Act.

De-scheduling is not a new theory. Raymond Shafer, a two-term Governor of Pennsylvania and a staunch Republican, first proposed it in 1972. Categorizing marijuana as Schedule I back in 1970 was supposed to be a temporary measure. Shafer was appointed by President Nixon to lead a group that was tasked with studying the categorization. He and his fellow commissioners could not find justification for the federal government enacting criminal prohibition or placing it in the CSA. Their full report, "Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding," was insightful, prophetic and reads fresh 43 years later.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/column...roduced_in_US_Senate.html#XRU2cSXPKZ6mI2XY.99

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Pretty great detective work there. Now tell us what happened to the last bill that proposed descheduling? Clue- it never made it out of committee. Do you even know what that bill number was?

Even if the FDA somehow "got control" they would have to build a team of law-enforcement. If that law-enforcement was to do anything it would be challenged in federal court, and the federal judge would laugh them right out of the court room.

I could write 10 pages of real world examples examples showing how nearly every sentence in that op-ed piece is incorrect.

Last edited:

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Move cannabis down in the schedule scheme, even one notch, and all the agencies listed above would suddenly have tremendous power over every aspect of the plant. The acronyms would come with their own armies of lawyers and lobbyists well honed in the realm of big medicine, pharma and government.

Moving marijuana to Schedule II may actually undo the state-level marijuana reform laws by putting the federal government back in the driver's seat. Alcohol and tobacco are not in the CSA. No Schedule II drugs (which include cocaine and Oxycontin) are legally sold for recreation.

^THIS.... the states are doing a fine job without another overreach by the federal government attempting to assert itself into things. We are winning step-by-step... schedule 2 would halt any further progress in its tracks. There would be absolutely no hope of full legalization EVER. Dead end. End of story. Leave things the hell alone. The more states that allow recreational use, the closer we get to real legalization. They know it and they want control instead which is why we are talking about this at all. The first chance they are allowed, the house and senate will go to a big pharma only system where the congress can get lobbying money from folks like Bayer, and the alphabet boys keep Bayer as the only game in town... You could enjoy your sativex, whilst forcing me to go underground and be illegal again.... great improvement. As it sits now, I can legally grow for myself without any molestation from the laws. I hate that its taking the rest of your backwards states so long to catch up.... but fucking things for half of us is no forward progress.

mlkMYYU.gif

that's not better.

Noone can legally produce a schedule 2 narcotic in the safety of their own home.
I currently can grow personal cannabis. And do so without a stitch of governmental paperwork.
I've seen progress
You're asking me to go backward... away from it.

Fuck that.

HUGE

Veteran
This is quite possible the most delusional post on the Internet's.
Pretty great detective work there. Now tell us what happened to the last bill that proposed descheduling? Clue- it never made it out of committee. Do you even know what that bill number was?

Even if the FDA somehow "got control" they would have to build a team of law-enforcement. If that law-enforcement was to do anything it would be challenged in federal court, and the federal judge would laugh them right out of the court room.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
March 12 2015
DOJ continues to waste tax dollars trying to lock up family of medical marijuana patients, despite acquittal of almost all charges

SPOKANE, WA — Just one week after three medical marijuana patients were acquitted by a federal jury of all but one charge stemming from the widely watched Kettle Falls Five trial, US District Court Judge Thomas Rice rejected attemptsby the Justice Department (DOJ) to imprison the defendants pending sentencing on June 10th.

Judge Rice’s ruling comes just a day after defense attorneys filed their opposition to the government’s pre-sentencing detention effort.

The DOJ remains aggressive in its attempts to lock up the three family members, filing an emergency request for detention just one day after the jury reached its verdict. Apparently unsatisfied with a hearing on April 3rd, more than two months before the defendants’ sentencing date, US Attorney Michael Ormsby filed a motion to expedite the detention hearing. Judge Rice granted the DOJ’s request for an expedited hearing, then promptly denied the government’s motion to imprison defendants Rhonda Firestack-Harvey, 56, her son Rolland Gregg, 33, and daughter-in-law Michelle Gregg, 36, who remain free until sentencing on June 10th at 10am.

“Instead of reevaluating its approach after failing to convict on almost all charges, the DOJ doubled down and tried to imprison the remaining three Kettle Falls Five defendants as they await sentencing,” said Kris Hermes, spokesperson with patient advocacy group Americans for Safe Access (ASA). “The DOJ appears unwilling to reverse course after being told by Congress to curtail its medical marijuana enforcement efforts, and sees no problem spending millions of taxpayer dollars to do so.”

In an unexpected verdict, a jury from eastern Washington State acquitted the three Kettle Falls Five defendants of all but one charge of manufacturing on a lesser-included charge of under 100 marijuana plants, which does not carry a mandatory minimum sentence. In a prosecution that lasted more than two years and used up over $2 million in resources, including a week-long trial, the DOJ aggressively pursued drug trafficking charges against a family of medical marijuana patients who were growing for themselves in full compliance with Washington State law.

Before the trial even began, the federal government agreed to dismiss charges against Larry Harvey, 71, the husband of Firestack-Harvey who was recently diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Co-defendant and family friend Jason Zucker, 39, took a plea deal one day before trial began and agreed to testify for the government against the three remaining defendants in exchange for a felony conspiracy conviction and a recommended sentence of 16 months. Zucker will be sentenced on June 17th at 9am.

In August 2012, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) raided the Harvey property in rural Washington State near the town of Kettle Falls and seized 68 marijuana plants, charging the five defendants with conspiracy to manufacture and distribute marijuana, manufacture and distribution of marijuana, maintaining a drug-involved premises, and possession of firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime.

Because the Kettle Falls Five defendants were acquitted of all charges that carry a mandatory minimum sentence, they could receive less than a year in prison or possibly probation. If sentenced to prison time, however, Firestack-Harvey will no longer be able to care for her ailing husband whose cancer has spread to his liver. “If Rhonda goes to prison, I don’t know who will take care of me,” said Larry Harvey.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts