What's new

Self-watering grow room

Peacefrog

Veteran
Like others I advise caution because a lot of things can go wrong. 5 weeks is pretty crazy - the longest I have gone is 2 weeks. That being said you sound determined so I will add a few more nuggets. I agree with earlybird about the organic mix and plain water in the res. A nute mix wouldn't last that long without getting super nasty scummy and causing other problems. 0 ppm water such as RO is your best bet for keeping the res stable and the lines flowing clean. You should allow at least 3 weeks to make sure you have the Blumats dialed in. You can get most of the info you need in the first 20 pages of the mega thread on Blumats. Stick to the formula and Blumats work awesome. Flowering plants will suck up a lot of water (even more so if temperatures rise) so you will need a pretty big reservoir for that long.

Preventing damage to your home with water and fire would be my primary concern. I assume you have considered the legal risk involved. Even if you live in a legal state an unattended grow is a risk. Don't cheap out on what you are doing - safety has to be the top priority over saving a few bucks.

You have to control heat. Even LED lights generate heat and inside a tent the temperature will rise quickly if you don't exchange air with the outside room. If you don't have the fan a simple 4 inch (assuming you aren't pushing watts) duct booster fan from the local home improvement store will do the trick if you can figure out how to wire a new plug to it (it's not that tough). Don't get crazy with the wattage of your lights. I wouldn't go higher than 300/400 watts and it would be even better to keep it down to 200 watts - that is highly unlikely to generate enough heat in a 12 hour period to cause a problem. If you want to push your wattage it would be ideal to keep your ambient temperature in the surrounding room in the 60's. If it starts climbing into the 70's it will keep climbing and the higher the temperature the more bad things can happen. I'd recommend a high temperature cutoff device for your lights as a bailout if your cooling plan fails. Ideally you have an air conditioner with the thermostat in the same room. Or you can run the lights on at night but you are exposing yourself to a lot better chances of light leaks during the day if you do that. Running during the winter and keeping the heat in the home turned low will help too. Lower temps will also reduce water consumption. I'm sure you get the idea about heat by now.

If you can run in a room with a drain that alleviates your other damage concern. Otherwise test the removable liner in the tent to make sure it is waterproof and has the capacity to hold a good chunk of your reservoir. Don't be tempted to hookup a Blumat pressure reducer directly to a faucet - that is just asking for trouble.

If you are running indica dominant plants you'll know how tall they are going to get within 4 to 5 weeks of flipping to 12/12. Topping can help control height but it might affect yield too.

Good luck and be safe.

early_bird

Veteran
Selecting the right strains is also important.
You whould use very stable strain (AK-47, etc.) or use clones.

Strains who don´t need much nutes is also good option here.
Most strains from Mandala Seeds don´t need much feeding. There breeding in this direction.