What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Segway company owner rides scooter off a cliff

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
msnbc.com

A British businessman who bought the Segway company less than a year ago died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river near his Yorkshire estate.
Jim Heselden acquired the Segway company from its U.S. inventor Dean Kamen in December 2009.
According to the British media, Heselden, 62, plunged into the River Wharfe while riding a rugged country version of the two-wheeled transporter on Sunday.
Police said a witness had reported seeing a man fall over a 30-foot drop into the river near Boston Spa, 140 miles north of London.
"Police were called at 11.40 a.m. yesterday to reports of a man in the River Wharfe, apparently having fallen from the cliffs above," a spokesman told The Daily Mail.
A Segway was recovered from the scene. "At this time we do not believe the death to be suspicious," the spokesman added.
The battery-powered scooter is stabilized by gyroscopes.

krazy world we liv'IN..........indeed............to SAD........

yortbogey

Veteran
I wonder if he stayed on the scooter all the way down?

good question......that would be one hell of a picture......
best marketing ever.........

still SAD......wonder if he had been drinking.............:ying:

ddrew

Veteran
Yeah, it's sad, but it might also be the new world record for air/hang time on a segway if he stayed on it all the way down.

Prolly got artificial intelligence or sump'um like George Bush. That's why they can't ride it - CPU ain't fast enough.

bush_segway_crash.jpg

I saw this on a motorcycle site i post on very sorry to hear about this would like to know what happend that he went off the cliff.

yortbogey

Veteran
I'd still like to know............WHY?
he drove of a cliff...........
or waz he simply out of control.............
or waz this a deathwish.....................
from floundering segway salez............

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Always wanted to get one of those and see if I can modify it with extra batteries or capacitors. Ya know, hot-rod the thing. Screw 17 mph, I wanna see if it can do 50!

I know a guy with a 8.5 hp chainsaw motor on his go-ped, thing gets pretty bad headshake over 60 mph though.

9Lives

three for playing, three for straying, and three f
Veteran
Millionaire Segway owner falls off a cliff with a segway..and dies!

Millionaire Segway owner falls off a cliff with a segway..and dies!

meh nevermind..

Last edited:

ddrew

Veteran
probably rode off it on purpose, trying to be all young and extreme.
Last thoughts flying through the air
"this is awesome, I totally got this"
Then SMACK!!!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
There are a shitload of stories about how unsafe those things are--
Sounds like Karma at work, for the guy that made them to die on one--
Not saying I'm glad or anything, death is always sad...but, just sayin'--

trouble

Veteran
A British businessman who bought the Segway company less than a year ago died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river near his Yorkshire estate.

What a Public Relations nightmare for Segway.

I wouldn't want to be the director of marketing for Segway after this dreadful accident in which the President and company CEO died by riding one off a cliff.

No worries folks, Segways are safe & fun for your entire family, just ask our president & CEO!

:dance013:

those things max at 15 mph and off road less what an idiot natural selection at work dont pretend your sorry about someones death you never met its silly. people die every second or two boo hoo. since he was rich its sad??? fuck that.

What a Public Relations nightmare for Segway.

I wouldn't want to be the director of marketing for Segway after this dreadful accident in which the President and company CEO died by riding one off a cliff.

No worries folks, Segways are safe & fun for your entire family, just ask our president & CEO!

:dance013:
segways are for slobs working on getting fatter or for people who think they need a useless toy. but seriously what is there purpose??? way worse than the electric bike(oxymoron) trend what is the world coming to so pathetic.