What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeking Critique on Vert Colosseum SOG concept.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Hell yeah!

That's what I'm taking bout' Anti!!

It's gonna be a hell of a party once those girls get to budding.... Are you going to trim the lowers up or let them go natural?

I'm with the dude that said pH maybe a little off there, or maybe the lack of growth from top watering was also a sign of the P def.

Whatever, I'm sure you on the case and I look forward to the microcab pics :)

Purple stems in this phase must be the low temperatures beneith 18C at night I believe. I like to keep it >20C at night to prevent this fenomena.

And I do not believe that adding more nutes wills solve this.. Because one very important rule for grow newbs like us is 'take it easy on them nutes'. Work on the temps instead.

And besides I noticed the shredded leaf tips are pointing inward. Meaning they are in lesser humid air. Humidity, I must mark, is i.m.o. THE main factor in getting a nice result... As example I have noticed a significant diffirence in my 2 previous rounds. 1 round I had been humidifying up to mid flower. While in the other round I was humidifying only up to 2 weeks into flowering. The diffirence was in the range ~20%. My default in-house humidity is normally 30-40% Higher during fall and lower during winter.

I also would like to mark that every lesser optimal values in time will affect the plant her productivity in veg and eventually in flower. Every optimal value you can get in there, I would try to get it in there for this reason, a better final result.

You basically give the plant more stamina offering it optimal values. Far from these optimals, the plant will start to survive, meaning it stops developping or it slows down (smaller leafs, tiny thin plants, scorched leafs etc.). Decreasing the stamina, guaranteeing yourself of lesser productivity of the plants.

GL on in this round! :wave:

prowler

Temps in cab (got battery for thermometer) are hovering around 87 degrees with lights on, closer to 70 with lights off.

Invalid pH will curve the outer parts of your leaves upwards. Humidity he didn't mention. Also improper pH with coco leads to P lockout. If purple stems are not healing with pH correction - up the nutes a bit. Been there.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
There are signs of nute deficiencies in the lower most set of leaves. I think this is mostly a combination of the facts that those were the leaves that the plants had to use until roots developed and the watering during the first week wasn't giving them enough to live on. Since I started submersion watering (takes about 40 minutes to pull everybody out of the cabinet, dunk them, let them drip dry and then put them back in) things have gotten a lot greener and growth has taken off. I will double check Ph before watering today and we'll see how it goes.

This is my first run in coco so I'm sure there will be opportunities for new lessons.

As we're creeping into fall, I'm running my A/C a lot less than I was in the summer. This means that my average temps in the cab are anywhere between about 71-72 at night and up to about 85 or so during lights on. Once I have the money for it, I will add a portable A/C and a humidifier/dehumidifier to the mix.

Last edited:
Is there any way that I can put some kind of sealant on wood and just enclose the bottom shelf (the shelf the pots sit on)? then I could just put a front and back on each tier and caulk the seams (or whatever) to keep it from leaking, couldn't i?

Tell me the reason i don't wanna do this. Been searching and I'm seeing people on youtube building E&F tables out of wood and painting it and then caulking the seams. Any reason I shouldn't do the same? This would require much less modification of the design and wouldn't raise the cost much since I'd only be adding 1ft x 6ft boards on either side of the existing design.

Does this make sense?

yes makes lots of sense you coul use fiberglass resin NO matting and just paint it on thick ON TO THE WOOD.. bang!! waterproof wood i saw someone do it here..

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Pics From Today's Micro Harvest:

Pics From Today's Micro Harvest:

Ok. So these are the plants I harvested to make room for mamas. The microcab is now officially my mom room and tonight the girls in the colosseum will experience their first 12 hours of darkness.

picture.php

These were the 'runtiest' of the clones from the round that produced my moms. I selected the best clones to be moms and the remaining 8 became my "sanity through smoking" harvest. The smallest was harvested a few days ago and I've been quick drying selected bottom-buds to smoke until the rest of the harvest is into the curing jar.

I lined these 7 plants up to give you an idea of what they might look like in the colosseum in 2 months. Of course, there will be at least 10x more plants in the colosseum shots, but think of this as a sneak preview.

picture.php

Side By Side

picture.php

Left to Right

picture.php

Right to Left

picture.php

Head of the Class

picture.php

A Closer View​

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
Nice looking little cola plants Anti. I'd have expected more fan leaves pushing out to the sides. Have they been trimmed? Seems they fit closely together quite nicely the way the photos show them.

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Looking great Anti. How many grams did you average with the single colas?

My average is somewhere around ~14g per plant. These were just cut today so they'll get about 3-4 days to dry and then they'll get manicured and put in jars. Also my scale is broken so unless I can fix it, I won't be able to actually weigh these. (I will buy or borrow a scale to get weights when the big cab gets done.)

If I can get 14.25g per plant in the new room, we're looking at 35 oz (997g) from 70 plantlets. That'd be 997/800=1.25 gpw. Of course with the extra week or so of veg time and the proximity to light sources in this setup, we may surpass the 0.5 oz per plant.

Guess we'll know in about two months. Nov 3-4 should be the harvest date based on my experience with this strain.

Nice looking little cola plants Anti. I'd have expected more fan leaves pushing out to the sides. Have they been trimmed? Seems they fit closely together quite nicely the way the photos show them.

As leaves yellow during the last weeks of flowering, I trim off larger fans as they yellow up. Today at harvest, I took the rest of the fans off.

picture.php

The picture above is the fan leaves that were removed from these 7 plants right before the pictures were taken.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Looking great man and I can't wait until is full of big buds for real. On the stem purpling thing I am sure it is from the CMH bulbs. On the stuff I am harvesting now there are green spots where the bud was blocking the light and they are full on purple where the CMH was hitting them. I will get a pic of it and post it here.

///EDIT///

picture.php

Last edited:

benjuanman

Veteran
:tiphat:Great thread and grow in process Anti. I really like how you drew it up several times to make sure it was right. That in itself shows a great deal of dedication. I will definately be following this thread as it progresses. Best of luck on your journey to harvest.:gday:

D

DHF

Doin yer homework and attention to detail is what makes or breaks smaller setups with less wattage and more plants ftw.... so Anti.....

Respect...Just don`t count yer chickens before the eggs hatch , and the lights on lights off temps should never vary more than 10 degrees for optimal results......so.....instead of location , location , location .....

It`s "environment , environment , environment" with 50 watts per sq ft IME.......Keep up da killer work Bro......looks like you`ve got the dedication ta make things happen once all the variables get dialed for massive harvey`s with increased plant numbers......and I`ll say it again....

Plant numbers dictate yield.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
the lights on lights off temps should never vary more than 10 degrees for optimal results

I just checked the cab and it was 81.7 with lights having been on for about 4 hours. So I think the fans are doing their job. I had the fans sitting on a board that was just resting across the bottom tier and I think that was blocking a lot of air flow in the cab. Now the fans are just sitting on 2x4s right below the lights and there's a lot of open air space down below them so they seem to be doing a better job of keeping things cool.

I think I might need to get a heater in there for the winter months because I think it's quite possible for my basement to get into the 60s once december hits.

Things that will get added as money permits:

• Yo-Yo Light Mover (check out Marlo's WoW thread if you don't know what I'm talking about) to make my lights move up and down which will facilitate both tiers getting adequate direct lighting.
  • Air Conditioner
  • Heater
  • Humidifier
  • Dehumidifier
I'll get stuff that can be digitally controlled to ensure precise dialage of all variables.

But I doubt I will be able to get any of it until after the first harvest, unless something happy happens in my professional life.

Plant numbers dictate yield.....

I may be able to squeeze more in here than I thought I could. Have to wait and see.

Thanks for your input.

ImaginaryFriend

Fuck Entropy.
Veteran
I'll get stuff that can be digitally controlled to ensure precise dialage of all variables.

You already know this, but if you are going to rely on their settings for control, try and find appliances that don't reset their controls in the instances of power interruption.

D

DHF

Excellent info IF......Default settings on A/C`s and Dehueys once power`s restored after interruptions for whatever reason be they brownouts on the west coast , or storm related down here in Hell on the other end of the world are the bain of a growers existence when attempting to dial lights on /off temps for optimal results...

"Auto Restart" is the ONLY thing that`ll keep things hoonin once power surges/outages happen with grow ops , so buy equipment accordingly for dialage .......

Anti......not saying you needta squeeze more plants in said area , but rather have just enough side by side , above and below each other , where no 1 plantlet competes with the other for environment or lumen penetration so they all finish completely the same like perfect budsicles ftw......

Good luck....DHF......:ying:......

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DAMN...now I gotta find a dehuey AND an AC unit that are NOT digital....DAMNNNNN

Latest posts

Latest posts