What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds, Soil and 16 Square Feet

Siskiyou

Veteran
Thanks Kalyx.

It's hard to nail down the aroma, but spicy and fruity are elements. At one point during flowering an armpit smell was detectable, but that has mellowed to simply savory delicious...as in edible. It will be interesting to see how this one turns out when dry and ready to smoke. I still have one clone of DB1 and am flowering a clone of DB4, but I suspect I will need to look into the other half-pack of Dream Beaver seeds to find my keeper. No decisions yet, though.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh, was too late for the beaver puns...

Screw it.

I want to motorboat your beaver.

Say something relevant you fool.

Excellent work on the macro.

Good job, other Barry.

Siskiyou

Veteran
Space Cake seedlings just before transplant into 1 gallon pots. These seeds went into water on Jan 14.
picture.php
picture.php

Sunshine Daydream clones @ 32 days flowering
picture.php
picture.php

Siskiyou

Veteran
This winter's storms have resulted in several temporary losses of power, ranging anywhere from a few seconds to over four hours. I try to always adjust my timer after outages but I must've missed a big one since my timer was 2.5 hours behind when i checked. Also, while working in the room during a very brief loss of power, I noticed that the HPS took almost 20 minutes to successfully refire. Is that in the range of typical for a digital ballast and HPS? This is a brand new ballast, because last week a wellness check revealed no light at all in the flower room. A sudden death for my 1K digital ballast, not much more than a year old. Could the losses of power this winter stressed the ballast?

With so many irregularities in the light cycle I have accidentally created a serious stress test for the girls that are in the flower tent. Only one plant has shown an intersexual response to the somewhat wacky lighting schedule, BT2. BT2 didn't just throw up a nanner or two, she went for a sex change. Male flowers popping everywhere. Tragically, BT2 is no more. Long live BT (formerly known as BT1).

The vigor and beauty of my single remaining Black Triangle are astounding. She is difficult, however, to do justice to in a photo. This plant is such an amazing gatherer of light that it is as if somehow not enough light escapes to make a photo. Not just a Black Triangle but a black hole.

Those big fan leaves are 11-bladed dinner plate sized solar panels.

Black Triangle @ 27 days

picture.php
picture.php

Bmac1

Veteran
The BT sure is a looker. She is going to be a knockout literally and figuratively is my guess.

I think I saw the other BT on my way in.

787512.jpg

ic

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
LOL bmac

Black Triangle is a headturner of a plant. Very nice Siskiyou. Bummer about the power outages. Sometimes there are benefits to being underemployed. Keep helping those girls sing.

not the ones bmac has pictures of though. ;)

Siskiyou

Veteran
:woohoo: Day Dream WOWIE :woohoo:
K+

Thanks stickydank. My SSDD#2 is my favorite smoke right now for sure.

The BT sure is a looker. She is going to be a knockout literally and figuratively is my guess.

I think I saw the other BT on my way in.

View Image
View Image

Yep I think that was It, but i had to look away quickly.

LOL bmac

Black Triangle is a headturner of a plant. Very nice Siskiyou. Bummer about the power outages. Sometimes there are benefits to being underemployed. Keep helping those girls sing.

not the ones bmac has pictures of though. ;)

Trees and high winds combine to cause power outages every winter around here but a backup generator just isn't possible right now. At least I know that any flowering plant from this round that doesn't hermie must be pretty stable in that respect.

(Look away from the picture BMac posted. Quick. Before it's too late.)

Siskiyou

Veteran
Currently in the flower tent

Dream Beaver 4 clone @ 20 days
picture.php

Lucky Charms clones (3) @ 20 days
picture.php

Black Triangle from seed @ 29 days
picture.php
picture.php

Sunshine Daydream clones (3) @ 42 days
picture.php

stickydank

Hey are those clear cups your seedlings are in?
i find that light on roots stunt the growth and can lead bad things growing from the light
like very bad in hydro on the roots lol rambling of a toker

Siskiyou

Veteran
i find that light on roots stunt the growth and can lead bad things growing from the light

Nah, those are black 1 gallon containers, just the angle and the light created that illusion for you. I use opaque containers always, some white, some black or even a few green ones, some fabric and some hard plastic, but nothing translucent or transparent.

I start seeds in 3.5" black squares, transplant to 1 gallon for a few weeks, then another transplant to either 3 gallon or larger container to finish. Sometimes I skip the 1 gallon containers and go straight to the larger ones, depending on space and needs.

picture.php

hicksticky

Still at large...
:tiphat: beautiful work Siskiyou, you have a very nice line up..... some I hope to try one day as well.
To answer the question about the delayed start with digital ballasts, I would say that it is the norm. At least that is what I have found, I experience power outages on the regular here in the winter as well...... pain in the arse but I deal with it in the same way as you do by resetting the timers each time.

Siskiyou

Veteran
:tiphat: beautiful work Siskiyou, you have a very nice line up..... some I hope to try one day as well.
To answer the question about the delayed start with digital ballasts, I would say that it is the norm. At least that is what I have found, I experience power outages on the regular here in the winter as well...... pain in the arse but I deal with it in the same way as you do by resetting the timers each time.

Thanks for that reply hicksticky. Well at least I don't feel like my new ballast is particularly shitty, though I think it also runs a little hotter than the ballast it replaced.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran

All my seedlings and clones go into 5 oz opaque plastic cups - sometimes for months. Only the plants that stay in them long enough that the roots hide the coco ever have an issue. And then, ya, stunted growth. Even then its not horrible. Just takes extra extra veg time to invigorate them.

Sisk, :good:

Hpchacrx

I have a couple questions for you. Where do you order your seeds from? And two I am new to growing and would like to do organic any advice? I've really enjoyed ur thread

Siskiyou

Veteran
I have a couple questions for you. Where do you order your seeds from? And two I am new to growing and would like to do organic any advice? I've really enjoyed ur thread

My number one advice since you are new to growing AND organics is to start simple and make things more complicated as needed. If I was starting a new organic soil today I would use a bale of Pro-Mix (or a blend of peat moss and rice hulls and pumice if you want to start fancier) mixed well with a bag or two of Happy Frog Fruit & Flower and/or 5-5-5 generously ammended with good quality EWC (about 25-30% of total volume.) This mix can be water only for the life of the plant but would really benefit from an occasional tea brewed from EWC with a bit of molasses. When that mix is recycled and reammended is, in my experience, when things start getting really good.

You are definitely in the right place (IC Mag Forums) to learn organic cannabis cultivation.

There are many paths up the mountain, so experiment and find your style and keep on flowering.

Hpchacrx

Would you let this cook or? What would you do for an organic outdoor mix or would you just top feed? Most my friends grow huge plants here multiple elbows so... I would kind of like to be successful if you know what I mean? Where I grow in the summer I get 9-11 hrs of intense sun. Any info would be cool. I know this is geared more for indoor

Sorry another question how do I subscribe to ur thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Siskiyou

Veteran
Would you let this cook or? What would you do for an organic outdoor mix or would you just top feed? Most my friends grow huge plants here multiple elbows so... I would kind of like to be successful if you know what I mean? Where I grow in the summer I get 9-11 hrs of intense sun. Any info would be cool. I know this is geared more for indoor

Sorry another question how do I subscribe to ur thread

I would let any freshly ammended soil mix rest for a couple of weeks if at all possible. Mix it up and moisten it a bit.

My experience outdoors is limited, but I would take the same approach, using a fully ammended soil, water and teas only. I would be willing to respond to any perceived deficiencies with top-dressings, but if you have big containers filled with high quality ammended soil that shouldn't be a problem. There are a few threads here from outdoor growers using ammended organic soil that are truly killing it. Check out Schrew's thread for instance, if you haven't. Where I live, outdoor simply isn't an option, but it would be fun to grow a few big'uns outdoors.

By posting in this thread you should have started a subscription. If you don't want to post in a thread, use "thread tools">"add subscription" toward the top of the page, just under page numbers.

Latest posts

Latest posts