What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeds of Africa seedbank???

rexamus616

Veteran
And my favourite:

#10 - The Honey Menthol pheno. (which I urge anyone with a pack of these to try to find.... stuff the pineapple pheno, the menthol honey stem is the one)

This had the thinnest leaves from the beginning. I identified this one early by rubbing the fresh young stem below the first two nodes of new growth. It had a strong, sour honey smell with a pungent eucalyptus/menthol undertone...

This one had strong, sturdy stem which supported the thick colas, even when saturated with rain. The dog snapped off the main/top cola in early flowering, so it was all just fat buds which curled out from the main stem to point upward. Like the illustration of South Indian cannabis floral cluster in Marijuana Botany by RCC.

There wasn't much trichomed leaf on the buds. And the calyxes were very small, with very short stemmed trichomes which seemed very close together. (making it look as if the calyxes were made entirely of trichomes!)

And the flower resins smelled more of pine / wood than menthol/honey....

The pistils were very skinny/thin and dried to a thin black thread (rather than the distinctive reddy brown of some varieties.)

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

No dried bud pics sorry. Smoked it all.... But I'm coming towards the summer solstice (dec 22nd or so in my hemisphere) so it won't be long and I'll have some more!

The smoke from #10 was awesome. Very, VERY expansive - hard to catch your breath. (even after a month curing - which is all I could manage before consuming it all!!)

Quite tarry. I only gave it organics (cow manure, rock minerals, wood ash) and I flushed it all I could.... but yeah, a bit tarry. (only grown it once tho, and since it was a late season plant, it probably didn't use all the nitrogen in the fresh/semi composted manure - which was quite rich in N, being dairy manure)

Very potent. (compared to the others in the pack, and compared to anything else I grew that season.) Very euphoric, a little racy. Seems similar to reports of Ace's malawi. (of which I will try to find a male to cross with this.)

It was the first jar to be empty.

I did find a ceiling with both phenos. And both had a lethargic, burn out finish.

#10 was strongest, and a stronger plant.

All plants (including the undesired ones) showed good mould resistance - I had a rainy autumn/winter with a big caterpillar problem (which usually brings bud rot since they eat out the stem and leave pieces of bud to die and rot the rest of the flower. And their turds also quickly grow mould and infect the rest of the bud. Healthy bud is harder to infect aparently)

I gave them lots of dolomite lime and potash tho. (lots of calcium, and potassium helps too) that would have helped mould resistance.

BruceBanner

Maybe there is a way to recognize the real deal Malawi Gold from those bunch of seeds, I also have a pack of MG and seeds differ one from another :)

Last edited:

rexamus616

Veteran
I was thinking that too, bruce...

Maybe separate the large seeds and small seeds? (I had lots of dif. sized seeds)

For females its easy - just flower them. But you mite need to try that male-reversing ethephon or whatever its called, otherwise its progeny testing and years of work.

For what its worth, all the plants were fun and interesting to grow, and all had terps/smells that, although familiar in some aspects, smelt different to everything else i've grown.

BruceBanner

You know what, from 10 seeds I have, about 4 of them are without stripes and have vein pattern like a net/nervature, I think those are the real deal :)

(btw. what I've noticed, has now nothing to do with this topic, but every time I've stumbled upon black seeds in buds, those buds were grails, not very small, but smaller or even average sized seeds and uniform colored/whole black, so if you find such seeds, it's a big chance that it's a grail plant :) )

Last edited:
Any Advertises when it comes down to Sativas an This Company vs. ACE & Cannabiogen?
From what i see this Strains here aren't "worked out" as much as ACE & Cannabiogen ones?

Shaheed

Soon post a pic of my Durban Magic girl, I set 6 out of 12 seeds he sent to me in 6" pots with a natural soil mix, only one germinated sadly, but she is vigorous and she has a lovely Nutmeg smell on the stem rub. Leaves are long, sharp and elegant and I believe (don't hold me to this) carry 9 leaflets. Seems she will be a true gem.

rexamus616

Veteran
Are there 2 different versions of the Seeds of Africa packaging?
Mine doesn't say "For souvenir purposes only" on the front. Does this mean I've got some really old packs?

They did change their packaging last year or the year before... they changed their website around the same time.... New look packaging and website....

When they did this tho, i can't really remember.... hah....

but mine came out of the package (at my request) since i was paranoid....

BruceBanner

It's pee and poo! hahaha Dezman is going to tell you more about that, I told him and asked him to explain here :D

Last edited:

dezman

Hi! Durango is in north mexico. These seeds are likely brickweed hybridized. I grew a few of them last winter and get only one female and three males,as they look wld i culled them with no remorse. The female smelt like sweat early in flowering and end up smelling exactly like catpiss. The high was nice also, not so strong but gave me a good mood, with no lazyness for about two hours or so. But the smell and taste...hehehe. i cross it to an oaxaca male. And she is dominating the cross in the smell taste and looks department. I have still lots of the originals in the fridge. but i think i wont be paying attention to them in a while i already have a cat so i wont miss that smell. Heheje

P-NUT

Veteran
Where do you get seeds of africa seeds? None of the shops I've ordered from carry them and I didnt see a way to order on their website.

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Google. I think i got mine from sensible but cant remember. Google then google search whoever carries um n make sure they are reliable seed bank before placing order.

CannaZen

Hi! Durango is in north mexico. These seeds are likely brickweed hybridized. I grew a few of them last winter and get only one female and three males,as they look wld i culled them with no remorse. The female smelt like sweat early in flowering and end up smelling exactly like catpiss. The high was nice also, not so strong but gave me a good mood, with no lazyness for about two hours or so. But the smell and taste...hehehe. i cross it to an oaxaca male. And she is dominating the cross in the smell taste and looks department. I have still lots of the originals in the fridge. but i think i wont be paying attention to them in a while i already have a cat so i wont miss that smell. Heheje

I think you have it all wrong, The climate probably has more likeness to S-America. Who can say? The Consistency with landrace/traditional varietals is in climate, The phenotypical expressions are just that.

Of all aromas from SoA the closest comparison to catpiss was only after feedings and that transitioned into deep lime/grapefruit, The few Transkei, Pondo and Malawi plants that i grew had not any catpiss. It sounds like a pheno response. I've heard cannabis originated at africa before moving over to America, this makes more sense to me.

Last edited:

dezman

Hi! Cannazen what do you mean with you having all wrong? I just dont understand. Excuse me man, i am too stoned probably but i see nothing related to what i posted.