What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seeds haven't craked in 24 hours, any way to salvage them?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the old days when indoor growing was getting going, say around 2000, seeds were never chilled, but they seemed to last much longer. Sellers often kept them in a dry box under the counter. They weren't fridged, and use by dates weren't even considered. In my experience, since seeds were fridged they only last a few weeks or months out of the fridge. With that, I think it's best to use fridged seeds quickly. Since seed sellers started using chillers to store seeds, there has been a disparity in seed storage. When your seeds arrived, did you continue to store them at the appropriate chilled temperature? Many people now make this mistake. The ideal temperature for storing cannabis seeds is between 6–8℃. Probably in an airtight container. However, this doesn't mean fridging is a perfect science. In fact, the way seeds are transported etc is not scientific. Fridging seeds may in general be damaging seeds, from condensed moisture to temperature changes which might simulate wintering. But with all the opinion to fridge seeds, there doesn't seem to be much of a way back. Just use them soon after you buy them. There will always be plenty more, so just use them quickly, and buy again when your ready.
:flowers2:

Seeds keep best and longest in the freezer, providing they have been dried properly first. next best is the fridge.
https://www.researchgate.net/public...evity_of_two_genotypes_of_Linum_usitatissimum

Cloneman

Veteran
I've got some old Mango Haze seeds from 2005, will try a few with my next seed run in the next week.
Just to see what happens...

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Knowing when to step in to help will save many seeds.. If you don't see a tap root after 36-48 hrs of whatever method your using crack the seed yourself. Some seeds just can't crack to let moisture in and the tap out. I've lost count of how many seeds I've saved doing this.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
My most recent pop was some Chemdog seeds. Soaked in tap water 60+ hours, tails shown.

Two of them seeds were mature tiger striped, one pale immature.

Placed in light soil mix in two ounce cups, took a couple days to break ground, happy seedlings, happy grower.

Stretching for the light, hopefully in a few weeks can take cuttings and flip them them seed plants.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I make SuperGerm. It's for old or problem seeds. The downside is, if you use it on good seeds, you need a good light once they've popped or they'll stretch to 10 inches before you see a second set or leaves. This is not a simple GA3 concoction.

https://www.borealcuring.com/supergerm/supergerm.php

a good light is mandatory to stop them from stretching for a source. Tests show T5s are best at keeping them stout.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I like a little aloe in the water I soak the seeds in. I also use aloe in the water when I am thinking about making roots.

Latest posts

Latest posts