What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings dying off

Whatever711

Second run of same seed lot. After about 20-30 days, leaves curl down, turn yellow, and grayish spots come like nute burn or something. Seeds start in coco. And after couple weeks they start to look not healthy so I switch to pots in photo to 50/50ish mix of fox farm ocean forest with coco and nothing. Have 1 350w cmh and two led 200w on sides. Plants started with 2foot flourescents and led on side kinda. Grown this same method before without any issues. Please educate. Thanks.

Attachments

• 1FF21F56-FAE7-4FE7-96F4-62DC346F5783.jpeg
    1FF21F56-FAE7-4FE7-96F4-62DC346F5783.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
  • D98114AD-35F1-4781-94AE-2FD3780A75C6.jpeg
    D98114AD-35F1-4781-94AE-2FD3780A75C6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 66
  • 663FB687-A011-43B0-9647-A88F16E3A0B4.jpeg
    663FB687-A011-43B0-9647-A88F16E3A0B4.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 66

Raho

Veteran
Temps? RH? Fertilizer?
Your soil looks dry as a bone but I assume you are doing that on purpose?

Dime

When you water around the stem the roots get suffocated and dont search for the water like if everything was moist,the roots need a lot of air,maybe you didn't water as efficiently this run,sometimes the white spots are from too much light (scalded,sunburned) without other variables up to par and the plant can't use it all but moreso with higher intensity. Perhaps buy an inexpensive moisture meter that will show you what's going on under the soil and how far in different directions.Have a good look to see if you can rub the white off. Your seedlings aren't making good roots and are not eating , make sure it's nice and warm and not overly dry air in your room.If your having trouble getting good seedling growth you could consider promix with plenty of perlite and a good hydroponic solution and watch them go nuts and then once you do have a root mass ,then they will take to transplanting whichever medium you like easily. Those are seedlings in promix with miracle grow with a shop led light in a cooler,the solo cups are full of roots.Later i bought a 3 foot under counter flourescent and screw it to the lid because the room gets cold for new seedlings and I can shut the cooler and the light provides the warmth. Good luck.

Attachments

• 20201109_220318.jpg
    20201109_220318.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45

X15

Tell us about your light cycles, duration and has it been consistent?
You could prob use just one light, save yourself some coin.

X15

Noticed some burnt tips on the plant that’s out of view. Is that one of the same go?

Whatever711

Thank you. Lights are 18/6. And yes the pics are from the same go. Maybe I have a mix of what dime said. Heavy light and I have only watered around the stem.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
You are up-potting too fast. The larger pot has a much larger water holding capacity and greater volume and when you put the small plant in a large pot the roots get "damaged" from under or overwatering over time. Start with dixie cups and weigh the cups for the best water management. When the roots fill up the dixie cup you and up-pot into 1-gallon pots, then go into 3-gallon pots. 😎

Mattbho

Those look like super cold media temps/dry air combined with way too much light use the cmh 2ft away if u need the heat. If not led i would still keep it 2ft away . get your humidity up way up, after a week they will come around . How were they under shop lights ?

I don't feed seeds for a month or so . But those look like 8 week old plants with 3 week root system. But u are using coco so .25 strength ph nutes only wait for reaction .

Really need the whole picture tho

Raho

Veteran
You have some really good advice pouring in @Whatever711
One thing I'm not seeing is temp.
72° is too cold. Raise the temps to 79-83 if you can. Get that transpiration up.
Humidity should also be high at this stage of veg.
Here's a scale to try and hit:
VPD_chart_ICmag.jpg

(Correction: @Dime and @Mattbho said to raise your temps. Right on.)

Last edited:

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
You are up-potting too fast. The larger pot has a much larger water holding capacity and greater volume and when you put the small plant in a large pot the roots get "damaged" from under or overwatering over time. Start with dixie cups and weigh the cups for the best water management. When the roots fill up the dixie cup you and up-pot into 1-gallon pots, then go into 3-gallon pots. 😎
I'm a fan of uppotting too, sometimes when you see them 'boostering' after repotting you can think that they literally need this. Yeah it's more work but fun too if you really love plants and not only to geht high. ;) AND you just have better control starting in small pots, if there is an emergency like this here it's easier to cure your plants...

..so my advice for you @Whatever711 is to get your plants (safely) out of this and put them in a really light soil so they can get better faster.

And your 3 heavy lamps are an overkill for such plants, and energy wasting. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts