What's new

Seedling question.

Hi guys.

I have a quick question.

Today my first seed just sprouted and entered the seedling stage.

What I wanted to ask if that any harm is done if I move it right away into the final growing pot, as the cup it is now on it's a little smaller and I am afraid of not getting root bound in the next week, and harm it when I try to move it.

Could I do this now, or do you have any advice for me? Attached it's an image with the sprouted seed.

img.jpg

And another question. I am waiting for another two to sprout (3 days now in small cups - and today I uncovered the soil and got to them to see if they are not rotten - the root is still white but they haven't sprout yet - so I covered them with soil again).

Did I do a bad thing with that? Do I have chances for them to sprout or are they lost?

If yes, is it better to keep them in a darker place, or put them to light directly?

Thanks. ;)

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
leave it alone ..your fine.i have sprouted in smaller cups.....yeehaw..you can sprout under a light if ya want ,,,I have dug for seeds before just be carefull and patient..

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
I'd let them in the cup till 7-10 days old. if you put a small plant in a big pot it's easy to overwater. if you do the transplant carefully you will not hurt the roots. and having them in plastic cups helps you with that cause you can easily cut the cups if they won't come out of the cups at transplant time. but they will, if you leave them on the dry side for 1-2 days.

on the ones that not out of the soil yet, if the root is still white should be all good. just wait and see if they show up.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'd let them in the cup till 7-10 days old. if you put a small plant in a big pot it's easy to overwater. if you do the transplant carefully you will not hurt the roots. and having them in plastic cups helps you with that cause you can easily cut the cups if they won't come out of the cups at transplant time. but they will, if you leave them on the dry side for 1-2 days.

on the ones that not out of the soil yet, if the root is still white should be all good. just wait and see if they show up.
hey op,,,
as above and patience is a virtue in our thing,,,,your pots are fine for at least another week or so,,,,no big pots for a little while yet,,,

heres some pics of a few in my new run,,,these are just about to be transplanted nearly 2 weeks weeks since sprouting,
best of luck and keep us posted,,,,s2

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
60-80% RH should be great. You just need to bring it down a bit later in flower, when buds start to form.

I think smaller is better, the soil drys out faster. When the soil drys out quick, the roots grow faster as the plant works on roots to find water. I like to start my seeds in those 12 cell black planter trays. Each cell is like 100ml, then wait till they are packing in roots in those, then upgrade to 500ml pots. Wait to those are getting dense roots, then start upgrading to the gallon and higher pots. I also have holes drilled in my pots to stop roots from circling around.

UPDATE: I think one root from the 2 seeds that haven't sprout had broken, however I am seeing another white tail coming out from it, and the seed feels hard when it's easy squeezed between the fingers, so I took it and place it in a wet paper towel for germination.

Is that a dumb thing I just did? Do you think I have a chance or I should throw it away.

Thanks ;)

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that a dumb thing I just did? Do you think I have a chance or I should throw it away.
Try it. Be careful not to injure "tail". Good luck.

Try it. Be careful not to injure "tail". Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.

Now back to humidity: My humidity now it's between 41-44 and I can't figure out a cheap way to make it higher.

I am growing inside a sub-woofer box (stealth - which is put in a closet) with this dimensions:

47 cm x 45 cm x 67 cm
18.5 inch x 17.7 inch x 26.3 inch

I have one intake and one outtake fan (both from PC sources) and a smaller one which cools down my LED light.

Any ideas on how to bring the humidity to a higher level?

Thank you guys.

lawlrus

UPDATE: I think one root from the 2 seeds that haven't sprout had broken, however I am seeing another white tail coming out from it, and the seed feels hard when it's easy squeezed between the fingers, so I took it and place it in a wet paper towel for germination.

Thanks ;)

If your seed is already "sprouting a tail" then it is germinated and you are adding an extra step for no reason. Realistically you don't even need to soak and wait for that tail to sprout before planting a seed in your medium. If you have viable gear, it will grow regardless of what you do if you have it in the proper environment.

lawlrus

Thanks for your reply.

Now back to humidity: My humidity now it's between 41-44 and I can't figure out a cheap way to make it higher.

I am growing inside a sub-woofer box (stealth - which is put in a closet) with this dimensions:

47 cm x 45 cm x 67 cm
18.5 inch x 17.7 inch x 26.3 inch

I have one intake and one outtake fan (both from PC sources) and a smaller one which cools down my LED light.

Any ideas on how to bring the humidity to a higher level?

Thank you guys.

You're not too far off as it is, and keep in mind that when you start flowering you will likely be battling the opposite issue and will be looking for a dehuey to maintain consistent RH. You can purchase a humidifier but a quality one that can be used as often as you will need it is pretty expensive, the household wick ones aren't really made for constant use. There are ways around that, and there are "homemade" ways to add humidity like leaving a saturated towel or an open container of liquid in the grow space, but these aren't terribly effective methods and don't make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile typically.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
I know that saturated perlite in a closed space will generate humidity. How much? You might need alot for it to matter.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
a wet towel with a fan blowing on it will raise the humidity.. but it can also create airborne spores that can be bad for your lungs and for plant buds when they start forming. maybe you can try putting something in the water to keep it clean of microorganisms/fungi. but then make sure that water never touches the plants in any way. You can use bleach or peroxide to keep the water clean, but it will also whiten the towel fabric so make sure you use one that you can throw away after use.

Thanks ;)

you should not be handling seeds your trying to germinate like that. leave them the hell alone and let them do what they supposed to do. its not going to turn into a plant overnight like jack n the bean stalk screw tge paper towel method too. just use a shot glass with distilled water near a warm place in your house

as far as humidity, use warm mkst humidifuer if temps are low or ultrasonic vool most if temps are optimum or on the high side.