What's new

Seedling leaves "cupping"/curl downwards

Any idea what causes these drooping symptoms on my seedlings? I gave them 20 ml water each last watering (five days ago) when i transplanted them to these pots.. (First picture)

They just seem to look more and more sad since then..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240115_123021_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_123021_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240115_122846_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240115_122846_Gallery.jpg
    718.4 KB · Views: 38

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Any idea what causes these drooping symptoms on my seedlings? I gave them 20 ml water each last watering (five days ago) when i transplanted them to these pots.. (First picture)

They just seem to look more and more sad since then..
Those tiny seedlings roots are fragile, over-watering or under-watering is a common problem because it's hard to know when they need water. That's why I weigh my small containers dry and wet to make sure I know how much water the plant uses. I write both weights on the pot and weigh before I water. I use the triple beams for the best results.

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Also if you water too much you can flush the nutrients out of the substrate. Knowing what the water-holding capacity of your containers is could keep you from flushing out the good stuff. I use a turkey baster to water the small seedling cups to keep them from flushing the soil. I know exactly how much water to use.

moose eater

Often a result of excess water, excess N, or excess salt(s) (especially in older plants).

"Never give an infant a 16-oz. rib-eye meal with spuds and veggies for dinner."(*or an older frail senior citizen in poor health, either).

Often a result of excess water, excess N, or excess salt(s) (especially in older plants).

"Never give an infant a 16-oz. rib-eye meal with spuds and veggies for dinner."(*or an older frail senior citizen in poor health, either).
But how come can they show symptoms of "overwatered" since i gave them only 20 ml when i transplanted? Can it be because of their environment in the propagator? I think the humidity in there came close to 90%.

Also i should mention the leaves are really thin

moose eater

But how come can they show symptoms of "overwatered" since i gave them only 20 ml when i transplanted? Can it be because of their environment in the propagator? I think the humidity in there came close to 90%.

Check ph, and if you can, N in your mix, either via run-off or sampling the mix. Are you using water with high chlorine, calcium, or other solubles in it?

No real feed being given to them yet, right?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran

You want to let the roots have a dry period as well as a wet period. Wet to dry gives the plants roots both of the best conditions to be healthy.

Latest posts

Latest posts