What's new

Seedling Heat Mat Q..?

Potologist

Anyone use these? I got one and i can leave it plugged in for an hour and i still can not feel the any heat at all on the surface. I think i happened to have gotten a defective one and i was wondering if that was it or if i am just a dumb newb and that is just how seedling heating mats work.

Bottom line if i cant touch it and feel at least SOME heat then how are the seedlings going to benefit?

G

**Bottom line if i cant touch it and feel at least SOME heat then how are the seedlings going to benefit?**

Yep i agree...sounds like theres no power getting to it or its broken.

cooked cook

bake at 420 until nicely toasted
ok, that's several votes for broken mat. I have mine going right now and it aint raging hot but you can definitely feal some warmth. When I got mine just recently the dude said "this comes with a 1 year warranty, these things sometimes die so if it isn't working bring it back."
I don't know how long you've had yours or if it comes with a warranty as well, but it's worth checkin out. Good luck.

nugs

You should feel a little warmth like mybeans420 and leeroy&co mentioned. Usually, the mats I used in the past anyway, only increases a few deg above ambient temps.. That's why I stopped using them and went with a direct burial cable. It keeps my soil temps at 70 deg. I buried it in three inches of sand. No matter how cold the air temp is the roots zone stays nice and warm.

Bottom line return it
www.groworganic.com has direct burial cables if your interested

Peace
Nugs

Potologist

OK. done deal.. im getting rid of this thing. i mean i feel zreo heat whatsoever. and i tried different outlets just in case. Its out. i dont think i will bring it back either.. not worth the trip to the hydro store.. i will take the loss. what was it like 28.00.. i think i will live.

mybeans420, Leeroy&Co , cooked cook and nugs.. thanks to all for your help with this. And thanks nugs for the link to the direct burial cables i will check that out i like the concept. Thansk again everyone!

Potologist

whats up bud! yeah, no biggie. i'ma check me out some them rootwarmer cable widjits them's talking 'bout up there..

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
i use a heated propagator, from B and Q, it was only 10 quid i think, for seedlings i just dont bother with the lid, so its not creating a humid enviromnt, just warming the soil a little(i plant str8 in2 the propagator base and then transplant when they ready)
Another m8 of mine uses the heat mats u get from a pet shop to use in a lizard tank.