What's new

Seeded vs unseeded quality-wise yield-wise

jawnroot

Miko said:
Again, think resin/hash yield not bud.

Miko, the buds are not going to magically produce so much resin so as to make up for the drastic loss in yield. Again, as I mentioned, potency (or resin content, if you'd like to think of it that way) will be the same as seedless gram for gram (once you take the seeds out), but with the overall loss in yield you'll be losing out big time.

I understand your thinking concerning surface area and all that, but it's not a sound argument. I don't want to go into the ins and outs of it, but it just won't work the way you think it will.

I encourage people to run experiments, but growers haven't been running seedless plants for 30+ years now just for the hell of it.

Last edited:
G

guest123

ive grown quite a lot of cannabis ,, fully seeded ,, unseeded ,, and everything inbetween , indoors outdoor , greenhouse etc .. .
a fully seeded plant is quite hard to smoke and the seeds are a bit of a pain ,, but i can honestly tell u i have never noticed the unseeded grown plant of the same variety to be more potent ,,
in fact some of the seeded stuff was the best id had ,, just not as easy to smoke without picking out the seeds ..
may be just me ,, but unless u totally fill a plant with seed so theres nothing but seed , then i dont notice a potency drop ...
it would really stuff up my hash making if all the seeded buds were less potent than the seedless ones ,, yet the hash is still as good as it gets ...

G

guest123

Miko said:
Thanks for all the replies!

Just to remind you all this topic is nt about seeds or breeding or even buds - it's about resin.

I put two cuts into flower next week, one will be seeded the other sensimilia. Will take 9 weeks till maturity. Yield will most likely be a bit lower, maybe 10-20% would be my guess, time will tell. I hope for improved smoke experience.

hey miko ,, wouldnt your seeded buds actually in fact be yeilding more weight?? due to the weight of the seeds ?? so would u say yeild is down ?? or just redirected to the seeds ..
be interesting to see your test and weight differences ,, as well if u can tell any drop in potency ,,

H

hard rain

I have smoked some very potent seeded bud in the past. I grew a plant in the eighties that turned hermy and was fully seeded at harvest. It had the best quality high I may have ever experienced. Laughing gear. Absolute 2-3 hours non stop laughing.

Makes me wonder what might lie in genetics that has been discarded because of its hermaphrodite tendencies.

Miko

Hey wallyduck thanks for your input! I think seeded bud will be heavier but that's irrelevant from my pint of view. I will weight them if anyone's interested but it makes no difference to me personaly. I dry sift all of it and bud weight won't really translate into hash as much as it would into cash for a cashcropper (which I am not).

What hooked me up on this idea was some info I run across sggesting that seeded plant will produce "better" resin. Sam_S said:
there is more resin in an unseeded plant, and the resin is higher in terpenoids. The ratio between the THC and CBD if any does not change.
- sounds discouraging to me but I've heard different opinions too so whatever there is to it I'm just testing it with my own cuts.

hard rain, I know what you're talking about! I don't know, may be all this sensimilia thingie is a wrong direction, may be not. May be hermies actually are a good thing in some strsins. I don't know. Peace!