What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seeded crop, harvest early or let finish?

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Hope it goes well for you. If they fill up, you have done a seed run. I can't smoke the weed from seed runs. The plant puts all it's effort into seeds, if you have a lot of them. That's the issue we can't see. A couple is no issue, but you have slow development and enough to be posting. You may literally get no weed as a worst case example. Just seeds that are not feminised, they carry hermie genes that have expressed themselves, so should be eradicated from the gene pool. You are suffering now, so don't do it to yourself again.

This point about bad weed from seed runs seems to fall upon deaf ears. I have had 10" sticks make 100+ beans and 3g of straw. Side by side with others doing the same. There just was no bud after popping them all out. If that's looking likely, just chuck them now.

Edit: some more pics just loaded. They have tried to flower, which is good. The resin looks rather fine though, over them lighter green vegative looking areas. That really takes me back to the unpalatable stuff.
Those light spots your referring to are clusters of hairs not bud. Sorry for the blurry pic the wind was moving the Hermie around

cfl...KING

Veteran
I took a couple nugs to try an see how seeded they were. Found 2 seeds in one nug an 1 seed in another. I did smoke it, no head ache, high was short lived because it was picked so early.
IMG_20230510_130113894_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230510_130121337_HDR~2.jpg

Ca++

Because there is probably no one here who has not smoked (hopefully de-)seeded weed.
There is a difference between weed with seeds, and plants that fully seeded.

You might be surprised to find a seed in weed that's otherwise a good smoke

You shouldn't be surprised that a plant that was grown for no other purpose than making seed, didn't put a lot of effort into growing good buds.

Plants make a great effort to grow buds, until they are pollinated. Then they make a good effort to grow seeds.

cfl...KING

Veteran

You shouldn't be surprised that a plant that was grown for no other purpose than making seed, didn't put a lot of effort into growing good buds.

Plants make a great effort to grow buds, until they are pollinated. Then they make a good effort to grow seeds.
So generally speaking, how many seeds per oz would you say is acceptable?

I remember the old days with brick weed loaded with seeds, but we've come a long way in terms of average quality.

goingrey

I've made seeds many times purposely. Sometimes there has been a lot with little bud, sometimes a little with a lot of bud. Not quite sure why the difference, going to guess genetics. Quality of the bud, little or a lot, has often been fine. When it has been bad it's usually because I pollinated too late and let them go over to make sure the seeds are mature.

So generally speaking, how many seeds per oz would you say is acceptable?

I remember the old days with brick weed loaded with seeds, but we've come a long way in terms of average quality.
If you're selling the buds for smoking... most people probably wouldn't cry about one seed in a gram bag. But more than that and they might. So 28?

moose eater

To some degree it's arbitrary.

Age of the plant and maturity matters.

We had seeded Colombian that was stellar and others that were average. Genetics and conditions in growing likely mattered more than other factors.

Would it have been better smoke without the seeds? Probably.

There've been some I knew who came up (unexpectedly) with seeds in their flowers and when someone noted the presence of the seeds, the grower somewhat flippantly but semi-jokingly stated something along the lines of, "Yep, and you got the seeds more or less for free." Making fun of the amount of money seeds sell for.

Self-pollinated seeds from male 'stress flowers' (which are NOT technically hermaphrodites!!), (same female plant pollinating itself with male stress flowers from itself)) in my experience can be fine for the first generation or so. After that, if accidentally -or- purposefully letting self-pollinated crop to self-pollinated crop in succession occur, the genetic drift accelerates. I've seen it enough times in some of the remote 'bush growers' crops up here years ago to know it's not a myth or mere anecdotal, subjective perception.

Last edited:

Old Piney

So ok I'm old but it just blows my mind that people can be so freaked out about a few seed in a bud. I'm fairly certain that there is no difference between lightly seeded and seedless buds , except you gotta pick a few seeds out lol. Really there isn't. In all likelihood you probably had one male flower pop and that's it. Not good seeds to save definitely hermaphrodite .really nice looking buds!

Chi13

ICMag Donor
We smoked a lot of seeded bud growing up. It's fine, still gets you high. Just have to pick out seeds and of course you lose half the weight because of the seeds. No way would I cull a seeded plant before it finished.