What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed sex from commercial grown

Ive not been able to get much info on this question so Ill ask the pros. If a customer buys (legal) commercial weed at a dispensary, and of course the plant being a female), and that weed has a random seed .... "would" that particular seed also have female genes and produce a female plant? Hope Ive placed this question in the right section. Thanks for replies

X15

Worth a shot at growing it out and seeing what comes of it (if it’s the only seed you have,.. regardless a good learning experience if you are beginning) Definitely should look for herm traits though. If the plant produced that seed due to stress it’s a good chance the seed will show some signs of instability.

Thanks everybody for the response. That answers my questions. Ive got 3 seeds from same weed but i took about a year and about 4-5 oz. to collect the 3 seeds I have so there were not that many, however Ill give em a go. Keeping the fingers crossed.

Cannamatrix

Female seeds tend to be more round in nature and have a very round attachment point where they come off the plant stem. Inspection can tell you this and it is uniform enough a seed sorting machine can usually figure it out.

William76

If uv only 3 seeds to ur name I'd pop them,sounds to me like uv nothing to lose,least u can practice on these for wen u buy seeds,hopefully ull get a stable female from the 3 seeds,may even find something good,was the weed good u found the seeds in?,good luck!,76

Reactions: X15

stiff

Veteran
Like williams and x15 already said
Its probably female with some sort of hermaphrodism to it. If you're lucky it might not be a hermie at all or it might only be sshowing it right at the end of the flowering cycle, which is not much of an issue then, as it can't produce seeds anymore that close to harvest.

There's also still a chance that it was regular pollen and you might even find a male..or an auto..who knows💁‍♂️
Just keep them away from other plants you might have nearby and definitely check for male parts while they start flowering.

If these guys who grew that,grew multiple strains in the same place, you don't really know what it's pollinated with. Pollen can travel too easy and also grows undetected quite often.

I guess you kept the seeds because you liked the weed..I say,go for it and grow them out to see what they will be like.

Reactions: X15
If uv only 3 seeds to ur name I'd pop them,sounds to me like uv nothing to lose,least u can practice on these for wen u buy seeds,hopefully ull get a stable female from the 3 seeds,may even find something good,was the weed good u found the seeds in?,good luck!,76
I was one of my favorite last summer. Acapulco Gold (probably for sure not the original) was the commercial weed. Very nice in every way and quite few SW Oregon dispensaries had it for sale. Anyway thanks again for info. Onward!!!

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Female seeds tend to be more round in nature and have a very round attachment point where they come off the plant stem. Inspection can tell you this and it is uniform enough a seed sorting machine can usually figure it out.
You cannot determine anything from the appearance of a seed with any profound accuracy.

It doesn't matter if it's "commercial" grown or grandma grown. All weed is someone's homegrown. Just some folks have a bigger home is all.

Only way to find out is to grow the seed. If you love the weed, grow the seed. If the weed is meh there are a billion folks out there selling seeds for every strain you ever heard of and many more. Either way I highly recommend growing some herbs 👍

xtsho

Wrong. I don't know where you acquired this information but it's not correct. You can't tell if a seed is going to be a female or male by the look of the seed.