What's new

Seed run question: Planting new seeds

Pot Pimp

In about a month I will be starting my first autoflowering grow. I'm going to do a seed run with two strains, pollinating maybe the two best females of each strain with the best males of their respective strain. My question is how long, after I harvest the seeds, do I have to wait to plant them? Also, is there any special treatment or anything else I need to know before trying to germ them? I usually grow from seeds (from G. Nirvana) but have never done a seed run before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

lowrdr

there are many conflicting views. some people believe you can germ them straight from the plant, others will have you believe you need to wait a couple of months. personally i dry them out and after a few weeks they sprout. point is try each and see what works better. if you pollinate right you will have a nice stash of seeds to experiment!

CraftyApe

I am with lowrdr. I just give it a couple three weeks to dry and then jump right in. Ok, maybe I would get a better germ rate if I waited longer. Dont know, but I get as good or better rate than any of the commercial seeds I have purchased. Then again I make a point or really letting a seeded plant mature all the way. You want the seeds ready to drop on their own in my opinion. I figure that mature seeds are stronger seeds.

Then again there are a lot of very advanced lads on this site and others who will tell you very concrete reasons why it is you need to wait longer. I dont think that my spark crosses a long of a gap as some of theirs, but my results make me happy to date.

Cheers

Pot Pimp

Thanks guys! I figured a longer wait would probably give better results but I still want to get going with my next grow without having to wait so long or fork out more money for seeds. I'm not against supporting the seed companies; it's just that I don't have any work right now and what little I have is going for the absolute necessities.

CraftyApe

I think you are right. Waiting a little longer would probably give you a better germ rate but then again in the extra time you are waiting you could have done another seed run about about ten girls and be buried in seeds.
Lol what a way to go.

Cheers

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Depending on just how many seeds you end up with I would find out for yourself so you know.

Germ 10 right away and see what happens.

Dry them for a couple weeks and germ 10.

Dry them for a couple weeks and then put them in the fridge for a week and germ 10.

etc........

etc........

I think it mainly matters on how you plan your long term storage of your seeds. As if you wouldn't want to put 10 fresh seeds in the fridge or freezer they would be to wet and freeze then crack. So you want them to be dry.

S_a_H

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
IMHO:
I dry for 3-4 weeks then store in crisper of fridge for 2-3 weeks.
This simulates winter to the seed and when you take it out starts to thaw thinking its spring and gets ready to grow.

Pot Pimp

Great advice SAH and ReelBusy! Thanks so much. I like the scientific approach and will keep notes and post them when I get the results. I think that would be very useful to everyone. Starting out with dry seeds in the crisper is very logical too; will have to try that.

*mr.mike*

I wouldn't recommend the crisper, as it keeps lettuce fresh, and you're trying to dry them a bit.

I usually let them sit, and that gets great results, but I've recently found that letting them hang out for a week works good, too.
The less mature the seeds are, the fresher you have to plant them.

Funny thing about ruderalis in the wild though. It can drop it's seeds and start new plants in the same season, unless the little plants I see outside have been there since last year and just sprouted under some other ones.

MobbDeep

get a mason jar..like the one you use to cure the buds..put some fresh banana peels in the jar..then some paper,and put the seeds on the paper..the decomposing banana peels will release ethylene gas..which serves two purpose..

1.it will make the seeds female

2.it MIGHT further ripen the seeds..as ethylene is a ripening hormone..which is widely used to ripen premature fruits and vegetables..

CraftyApe

MD that is a new one on me. I did a quick google search and looks like a few others are saying the same thing. Have you tried this personally with good results? Hit us with more details of your experience cause while it is not tough to make the QS and make feminized seeds, putting a 'nanner skin in a jar is even easier.

Cheers