What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed run in a 55 gal drum?

BakedApe

Playing with the idea of doing an auto seed run in a 55 gal drum, with a vertical 200W CFL in center.
A few inches of gravel, line the bottom with fabric, going up the sides a bit, or maybe a raised bottom for a wick... fill with soil and sow 10-12 seed around the edge.. will get crowded as hell, of course, but as soon as the males are out, and maybe removing a lady or two if absolutely necessary.. and size of plants will also be depending on volume of soil?

Being hardy outdoor seeds.. would I loose any toughness making seeds indoors?

Feasible?

If so, how big of a fan would I need?
Temps in the room will range from around 25-45F

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds fine to me , have grown five plants from seed in an old cupboard stood on its end of similar height and volume to an oil drum.
Small plants but still 400 ish good seeds same quality as grown with more space.

Your temp range is same as my garage in winter , a 125 W CFL kept it warm enougth during light hours with a clip on fan blowing down but a bit too cold when dark , insulateing with an old duvet and put a 30 W tube heater underneath.

You might have condensation issues on the steel but some decent insulation sorts that.