What's new

Seed Harvest!?!

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
How do you professional breeders and hobby breeders harvest your Seeds?? is there a special way to get them all out? or you simply go nug by nug making sure you get them all out?
also what do you do with your seeded buds ones the seeds are harvested??? you smoke it? bho? hash? cooking?
thank you in advance! All the best!!!! all i wanna do is grow grow grow!:dance013:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I let my seeded plants go 10-20 days longer than normal plants I then chop the whole thing and hang it as one plant upside down to dry for 10-15 days. I then use my hands to extricate the seeds by crumbling the buds with my fingers. I then let the seeds dry more usually for 10-30 days. I read in some breeding books that you should let the seeds dry because you get higher germ rates and this has worked for me so far. after that I germ test 20 and then usually germ test 20-40 more after the first 20 have germinated.

The pain in the arse is pinch testing all the seeds...

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
right on, thats pretty much what I been doing, let the plant go longer so hopefully all the seeds are mature and pinch test em all, then dry them for about two weeks.
what do you do with the left over bud?
I would like to see a pro's breeding room like Chimera or Shanti...
anyone willing to post their Breeding room? or is it all shush shush???
I just harvested a bunch of seeds from my House OG :)

supherbb

You could try breaking the buds up and sifting if you had the right size screen, I think I read about this on ICmag or another site possibly. As for the leftover bud, I'd do a hash run. Happy harvest!

:smokey:

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know if I was rocking more seeded plants than I am currently I would make hash or something out of the left over crumbles and smashed bud, but currently it is not even worth saving. And supherbb I have seen the screen sifting thread as well and never bothered because they come out so easy when bone dry I just never changed but if anyone thinks it is worthwhile for large scale let us know.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
The pain in the arse is pinch testing all the seeds...

:scripture:Preach on brother!! :scripture:

I tend to do my crosses at the end of my growing season so I end up with lots of bud to extract seed from. By the time I'm done my fingers are so sore I can hardly use my hands. Then I let the seeds dry for at least 90 days more and repeat the pinch test so I have (mostly) viable seed to store long term.

There's gotta be a better way to test the seed, but I haven't come across it yet.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I'm in the process of doing this now bud by bud, basically. I've been using a shoe box cover and a plastic card.

I don't want to beat up the bud too bad, planning on making bubble and BHO. There's just enough calyx to cover the seed so it seems hash is the more efficient route.

The other day it took 4.5 grams to produce enough bud to roll a bomber joint. At that rate, I'd get about 15 joints out of a whole tent of plants. Hash it is.

mr.brunch

Veteran
i always just squish the buds, pop them out and put them in little paper envelopes to dry for a week os so.
as for the bud, it works fine to smoke it. back in the day all imported weed was seeded and that was all we used to get. the plant makes the resin to protect the 'phantom seed', so it wont stop producing if real seeds are present!

DeezyH

ICMag Donor
I've only harvested for seeds once but here's how I did it:

Harvested buds when the majority of seeds looked ready. The seeds were falling out of their seed casing every time the tree would move and they overwhelmingly passed the crush test. Crush test is when you squish the seed it shouldn't crunch, and they should not be green colored.

Then I trimmed all the buds from the stems and placed them on racks directly underneath my carbon filter (about two feet beneath). This way there was lots of air movement so they dried very quickly. It took about 48 hours until they were nice and crispy to the touch. I wanted them to be very crisp to make getting the seeds as easy as possible.

I think took the buds and placed some in a colander (pasta strainer) over a bowl and started to crush them. Because the buds were so crispy the leaf and bud material would crumble and fall through the strainer holes, but not the seeds (except the really immature ones). This obviously leaves you with shake to smoke and no buds, but it makes harvesting for seeds so much easier.

I tried hand picking the seeds but that was extremely tedious and time consuming.

M

mugenbao

I usually just dry the buds until they are crumbly, so that even a halfhearted attempt at removing seeds causes the bud to break away and the seeds to just fall out. Any seeds that are small or even the slightest bit green I eat immediately. The rest get dried for a couple of weeks then stored in an airtight container with desiccant and placed in a cool dark place.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
I usually just dry the buds until they are crumbly, so that even a halfhearted attempt at removing seeds causes the bud to break away and the seeds to just fall out. Any seeds that are small or even the slightest bit green I eat immediately. The rest get dried for a couple of weeks then stored in an airtight container with desiccant and placed in a cool dark place.
I eat as I go too!! :) thy way I take all the premier out and get whatever good they have into my system :p

Adrift

Veteran
right on, thats pretty much what I been doing, let the plant go longer so hopefully all the seeds are mature and pinch test em all, then dry them for about two weeks.
what do you do with the left over bud?
I would like to see a pro's breeding room like Chimera or Shanti...
anyone willing to post their Breeding room? or is it all shush shush???
I just harvested a bunch of seeds from my House OG :)

any pics of that seeded og??? and do you care to share what pollen you hit her with??? thanks :wave:

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
any pics of that seeded og??? and do you care to share what pollen you hit her with??? thanks :wave:

Yea I'll post em up later, is house og x medicine man must of it... Very few house x herojuana Also made bullrider crosses with post my trim Job ones dry :)

CannaVenture

ICMag Donor
Harvesting seed SUCKS....i wish someone would invent something similar to The Cotton Gin for seeds....lol...like 40amps said, I let my seeded plants a little longer than usual... i reallly dont count days too much cause Im not worried about the flowers, only the seed reallly... but cut the plants, Lay each plant on a piece of newspaper/aluminum foil etc, to catch any seeds that fall out of the husk, and let the seeds dry "on the vine"... Even point a fan on them to speed up drying...Again not worried about the flowers... then the fun part.. getting your hands covered in resin, getting the seeds out one bud at a time pretty much....Make finger Hash, and with the left over scraps, I Usually make ALOT of Honey Oil, sometimes Ill do a few runs through Bubble bags .... But i always have LOTS of Oil on hand....

Seperating seed from plant material is the single most time consuming part of the job.. it usually takes me a few days and nights to get it all done, VERY tedious work..Worst than trimming IMO...And thats pretty bad... I'd pay someone to do that part of teh job IF I wasn't afraid they would screw it up and get everything mixed up....

CannaVenture

ICMag Donor
Yea I'll post em up later, is house og x medicine man must of it... Very few house x herojuana Also made bullrider crosses with post my trim Job ones dry :)

How did you like The Bullrider Clone? Pretty unique meds man...I have Bullrider in veg right now, Going to do something nice with it....Sounds like you have some nice crosses Dank...very nice bro...

people LOVE Bullrider....

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i harvest for seeds all the time, im not a professional. i just grow the plants till they are done. i only seed up lower branches as i only need like 30-50 from each plant. i usually pollinate early when they first sex and start making pistils so by the time the plant is ready for regular harvest the seeds are done and falling out of their calyxes. i take the branch or branches/buds with the seeds and i just break it down with my hand or my grinder (plastic) and when its all ground down i take the seeds out and put em to the side. the weed i smoke.

where im from all the weed we smoked had seeds in it and we "harvest" seeds everytime we wanna smoke. if i had more weed with more seeds it would be the same process, cept when im breaking down the weed i would use both my hands like i always wanted to do ever since i saw a video a long time ago of someone crumbling like an ounce of weed. just take the weed between your two palms and rub em together.

Dr.Dank

Cannabis 101
Veteran
How did you like The Bullrider Clone? Pretty unique meds man...I have Bullrider in veg right now, Going to do something nice with it....Sounds like you have some nice crosses Dank...very nice bro...

people LOVE Bullrider....

I took some lovely pics of the bull rider I will post asap i just been busy with family+friends+ new business
the aghany bull rider is sure a special lady with her sweet and sour tones and nice tight buds that has a truly outstanding high.:tumbleweed:

cody2white

ghost in training
Veteran
Noice! I just tried the crumble technique and it works great. I can't think of an easier way. Thanks for the tips.

That house og has me interested. It sounds like a good cup of coffee :) with tits

K

K.O.Genetics

there is ways to do it. actually u need to setup a few screens.. 1 big enough to catch seeds but let the shake through.. I have the perfect screen. got at walmart.. and I use 2 screens put inside eachother.. grind the material with hands wen dry.. shake in screen. dump screen numbere 1 which has all the stems.. then shake out number 2 till its only seed. I was thinking of making a seed separator.