What's new

Seed grow with some root pruning!

Smeden

Hi again

Buddah - Thx m8 and nice to hear they r spreading. Its not my cuts though... Cant and wont take the credits for the nice selection job.

Mosca - hi brother. Yes yes, heres a lil quickie update. But they r still pretty small (largest one is one of ur Motavation - lower left corner) so will be a while before some real action. The last couple of days been pretty hot here, meaning the temps at the plants been sneakin up towards the 30'ish celcius.

Fed em a lil CoGr vega today.
dsc06473.jpg

They r really makin some roots, small plants, but many root tips sticking out allready.
dsc06463.jpg

Lil closer
dsc06467r.jpg

Peace n Love

M

mosca negra

That is so cool Smeden! very interesting containers you got there. Have you seen any differences between the regular container growth and the Airpots so far?

Peace

Work2much

Thats great man, very cool.

I started looking into air/smart pots recently so I could do a mass hand watering in a rubbermaid and just let the plants sit in the solution and soak it all up. I would leave the plants inside the rubbermaid cut down on the sides the whole grow just to make it easy, sorta like a soil bed but in individual containers.

Looking foward to your updates.

Smeden

Thx to ya both.

Mosca - the "normal" pots will first be used as the next step. As I did'nt think of this until you mentioned it, and at the time the seeds were in the coco. So for the next repotting I will make about 5 medium sized plants go for normal plastic pots. (same size as the rootpruning pots I will make for the others) It will be harder to really compare this way, as I think the most important time to root prune is from start = makin center of the medium filled with roots. So the normal pots will benefit a lil on this. (if there are any benefits)
Also thinking about lettin em flower in normal pots. As in this stage I should allready be satisfied with the roots the plants have. And I really want em to use 100% energy on the flowering part. And not on making more roots. So perhaps I will go from 2 gallon smartpots to 3 gallon normal pots as final repotting.
What you guys think of this aspect? I know its not really rootpruning anymore at that time. But neither any reason to try to promote the root production in the flowering stage???

Work2Much - Yeah would be nice if watering in a tray was possible here. But as im growing in an attic, space and waterspill risk makes it harder. So for me handwatering is fine for now. Its also very easy as the lill edge on the pots actually can hold the water till drained (even with the small holes in it)
Surely you have been lurkin in the Smart Pots thread in here?
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=86175&page=29
Think post #432 is very interesting. And I get the feeling that pruning of the vertical roots (buttom) is the most important. So if your gonna make a tray you might wanna consider placing the pruningpots onto something that could lift em from the tray, and let some air go under them aswell.
I might be gettin it wrong, but looking at my seedlings - they are all still exactly the same height (+/- 0,5 cm) and this im pretty sure is a result of pruning the first main root. If the roots was circling around in normal pots you get the longer and more fragile plants from start. I have had long and fragile plants every time I started from seeds, these r only like 8-9 cm tall.

Brb, think Ill give you a break here... juz me blabbering...

Peace friends

M

mosca negra

Smeden- I think you bring up some good points, but I do believe it is important for plants to continue to grow a strong and healthy root system into flowering. We all know if you want buds on top of the plant, one needs strong roots down below. Gerrit, from Magus, did an experiment a few years back and found continued plant root growth several weeks into the flowering cycle. I believe this is essential for a healthy plant.

Think you should, when you re-pot, do regular containers and air pots side by side. and see the differences in height, yieild, stem growth, root mass, thc concentraion, maybe even make hash from a couple of each plants to see the weight differences, etc.

Good Work,
Mosca

Smeden

Mosca - lets see how much i gets goin. Im not so much into making hash, as I just love to smoke the weed as it is. But ye, lets see how it turns out.
Like you say I will run different types of end pots so we might get a better view onto the whole root production under flowering issue and hopefully find some + and - sides.

Heres a couple of pics from tonite
dsc06512.jpg

And still very much the same height, execpt a couple who made a loop on the stem.
dsc06518g.jpg

Heres a list of the final "sproutentendants"
2 x Motavation
4 x Jack O'nesia
4 x GHS Arjans Haze #2
4 x Heads CJ
6 x Kromes Triangle x NorthernLights/Leopard Kush
4 x C99#2xC99 (Mosca)
4 x C99#1xC99 (Mosca)
3 x DDxC99 (Mosca)
4 x C99F3xSWTDD (Mosca)
1 x Unknown (think its Motavation, as a i dropped a seed from these and couldt find it again)

= 36 total

Smeden

Thx friends!

Tonite the roots going downwards looked like this:
dsc06586.jpg

So decided to repot em to next step. And now they each have about 0,6 liter of coco. Also made 12 in regular pots, so a lil comparison is possible.
dsc06598.jpg

Peace

blackone

Veteran
I keep watching this with great interest! It's hard not to keep experimenting right? :) My next grow that I'll be starting sometime in July will be my first ever without any experimentation as I promised myself, hehe let's see how that'll work out...

Smeden

Right on the spot blackone. And I kno exactly what u mean by planning on starting one up and keeping it simple. Me2, so letz get back on that later on...

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm in for this one smeden looks killer that rootgrowth !

growMEDS

this looks really cool -- still watching. :smile:

at first I thought when the roots come out you were going to cut them off lol
yea i'm a noob

PiffGuru

it seems very promising.. I bet your plants will react alot quicker to nutes with such dense roots in flowering... GL

Work2much

it seems very promising.. I bet your plants will react alot quicker to nutes with such dense roots in flowering... GL

Very astute observation, I was thinking along the same lines. Smeden might be able to get away with less nutes as he'll have a more complete root zone for assimilation.

Work2much

One more thing, Smeden what material is thath exactly, I cant quite put my finger on it? I like the fact that its a little more tuff and solid then then say a synthetic liner.

Smeden

DJXX - thx man, looking so much forward on watchin these babys grow up. So a big thanks to Mosca, Karma, Esbe for theirs sharing n caring.

Core - Welcome m8. And also big thx to you on handing on your danky danky Amnesia Haze cut. Still my all time favorite - lovin it!

growMEDS - thx man, we r all newbs untill we learn and get a lil further. Me2, I started reading on the whole root pruning part about 2 month before the startup of this grow. So learned a little by reading and now trying to learn the last by doing it myself. And see if it would be usefull for me in the future.

PiffGuru - thx n hoping ur right. It would be nice with a faster reacting plant, eventhough I think they react pretty nice allready when grown in coco. I would also love to see more branchier / bushier / lower plants. But we will find out in the near future...

Work2Much - hi again m8. The material I made the pots from, is bought in a local warehouse for wood, work tools n so on (dunno english name) BAUHAUS its called here. Its made from somekind of plastic and its purpose is to be installed in windows n so on, to keep the mosquitos/other insects out.
Its very simple, think I spend 10 mins on making the last 24 pots for the repotting. Just cutting em out in the wanted sizes, fold em round and 3 clips each from a "paper clips machine". But the bigger diameter - the harder they get to fill nicely with coco. They r without buttom as i make em, so lez hope I dont have to move em around the first couple of days. Untill the roots gets a grip on to the new coco.

Cheers

PiffGuru

The way I see it.. If you have lets say 2 of the taproots going down like 10'' only those roots will be sucking up a set amount of water/nutes at a time... but with like 10-30 of those roots that are only 6'' but all at the same length they will all bring up the same set amount of nutes per root at the same time... sounds like results should be obviously shown if your doing a control and a variable..

Latest posts

Latest posts