What's new

Seed Germination Techniques

One Love

SoulStealer, hows it?
Well the germination so far is 3 out of 5. One of the seeds aborted after cracking. The embryo was hard and had no tap root after the seed split. There is still one seed that has not cracked open yet, so I am hoping that it will still come around, maybe just a late runner.
I would say that the plant straight in soil method is just as good as any, that is to say, if you have enough practice with the exact resources you are using you will always have good rates. I can critique myself for not being able to keep my humidity levels stable during most of the germination process. I honestly think that I would have 100% if I used the rapid rooters though.
SO, tonight I will put 5 Mr. Nice "G13xWW", and 5 Mr. Nice "Devil" in presoaked rapid rooter plugs. I will keep them moist (not soaking wet) with temps around 75-80f and do my best to maintain at least 40% humidity. I will report back with results as soon as something happens.
Rapid Rooters are not the end all solution for everyone. They just make things easier on me while providing a small piece of mind in knowing when the beans have cracked.
Cheers everyone!
:rasta:

N

North

Cannabis is very temp sensitive as well. In the germination state a matter of a few degrees can determine germination, . Ive found cannabis indica's optimum temperatures to be between 76-78 degrees, with 77 being optimum. Sativa strains perfome best at approximately 2 degrees higher, with a range of 77-80.

Indica seeds turn into boiled peanuts at 82 degrees and generally won't germ in temps above that. Sativa will germ in temps as high as 85, but at about 20% of normal germination.

WORD!!!

I had to dig this thread up for the N00Bs,feeling like a bit of one myself at the moment.

After a good amount of research this last winter I convinced myself that soil temps were too low and it encouraged males over females in the germ/seedling stage last year.
this spring I purchased a seedling mat and moved my germing process out of the basement,upstairs, where I could keep a closer eye on things and and to help with temps.

I started 5 strains from 3 breeders in paper towels the way I've always done, had bags ON the seedling mat, 100% germ in 30 hours with 4 strains, 50% on the fifth strain(bunk seeds?), transplanted to soil in a starter tray,placed tray back on the pad and set it on the floor.

5 days later now, nothing, after looking it all over,:wallbash:, I'm 99% sure I COOKED all the seedlings by
A) having the mat/seedling upstairs in my house where its already 70 degrees.
B) placing the mat on the floor,on carpeting, which insulated the mat,increasing temps even more, I'm guessing over 80 degrees, and all I planted were indicas.(i'll be checking this in a few minutes with a thermometer)
C) BEING an IDIOT and planting ALL my seeds at once using a new method!:wallbash::wallbash: now I'm seedless and plantless for the year,and out 200$ in beans.:fsu:

N

North

after checking the temp with a thermometer...104degrees in the soil!

watch out for those seedling mats. I have 2 of them running, the other is running right at 83degrees with the same set up.

guess I shoulda put the peppers and tomatoe plants on the other one..50-50 chance go figure.