What's new

Seed Cracking, and other stories

Abdthi1966

Premium user
After talking with an old friend of mine the other night, who is not a mentor per say but rather a close friend who happens to be significantly older than me. Anyways, he’s slowing down a lot but from time to time I call and we talk for a few hours, and he’ll talk about the good old days in the 70s and all the strains they got imported and then grew; Thai stick, Panama red, Kandahar red, Colombia gold, ext. I’ve always enjoyed the stories even if some of them sound far fetched, as he was always telling me he was one of the first to use MH in the Bothell WA area and was growing G13 back when it first came out. Sounds made up right? I mean who knows I wasn’t there. He’s always been a honest hardworking fellow, and for all the years I’ve known him he’s never steered me wrong. While I’m sure there’s alittle exaggeration here and there I have to assume that at least a part of it is true. However, here’s the interesting part, during the conversation he tells me he has gift for me, apparently he’s uncovered an old pill bottle with hundreds of seeds from the late 70s-mid 80s. The only remark he made when I asked if he knew what they could be is that they would be any one of the number that I mentioned above and that he never labeled or kept them separate. They’ve just been floating around in an old military locker if any of you are familiar with those. So guys…..beyond wife’s tales be honest; what’s the oldest seeds you’ve gotten to crack?

On another note, I was thinking that if I’m gonna have a chance, ill have to pull out all the stops when it comes to germinating these bad boys and thus, I was led to looking into seed crackers. To be honest, I wasn’t impressed with anything I saw, and all the plastic mechanisms cannot be smooth enough to properly exert force in a calculated matter. Luckily for me I had an old watchmakers micrometer laying around and I dimpled out the ends like so.
IMG_7728.jpeg

The pressure is so precise that I can open and reclose the shell without breaking, which you should be able to see in the pics below.
IMG_7729.jpeg

Opened^.
IMG_7730.jpeg

Closed^. I’m posting because as I consider my options for the fun adventure with my friends seeds I found myself quite impressed with this little guy. You can find one on eBay for under 10$ and the precision, and smooth operation needed for watch making perfectly suits the job at hand. The only thing is a diamond bit on a dremel tool. The bit was only 13$.

Last edited:

igrowone

Veteran
great timing, I have some fresh but stubbornly slow sprouting seeds
maybe thick shelled? not sure
anyways, tried the cracking trick with needle nose pliers
not pretty, they lack the touch
so your thread could be a big help, thanks

Abdthi1966

Premium user
great timing, I have some fresh but stubbornly slow sprouting seeds
maybe thick shelled? not sure
anyways, tried the cracking trick with needle nose pliers
not pretty, they lack the touch
so your thread could be a big help, thanks
Honestly brotha, I’ve never been more satisfied with a MacGyver tool but I’ll have to wait for a germination test ultimately. Personally, since I’m doing a manual crack, I would first sanitize the seeds with some bleach and water. I’ll try and link some eBay auctions for similar tools as a platform.

It’s just a watchmakers micrometer which is basically just means the tooling used was higher end so the action turns well. But you can get cheap ones at harbour frieght I’m told. I prefer the vintage metal actions myself.

Last edited: