What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Security Events

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I went out to a site without my morning coffee two hours after I usually do and had a serious security event. Can only go back between 1am and 4am now. So it's a night site now with about 500 plants already in the ground. That's what happens when you don't listen to your gut and you break your own protocols. My morning coffee would have saved me. But maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Conservation officers had just stopped about 40 feet from my entrance. I suspect that if they were checking it out, the driver would have stopped at a better location. I stopped my truck in front of him, got out and stood so his back was to the entrance and we played 20 questions.
[edit]
The convo started a little belligerent until I swore in french (Tabarnack). He said "Es-tu francophone?" (I thought... got ya!). I spoke to him in french and we eventually talked about his (and mine... I lied) alma mater (french university). French Canadians in Ontario stick together tighter than radical feminists do. lol. So it ended on a cordial note.

I have a few tools and another 40 seedlings sitting in flats that need to go in the ground. I'll have to scan for infrared with my camera before I enter again. I won't enter from that spot either so my walk just went up by 30 minutes.

Because of our conversation, at the very least, I now have a thread of justification for being there if I get nabbed "ripping someone's grow" at harvest time. lol. I don't mind getting nabbed for having more than 30gr on me, that's trivial, but owning the grow can cost up to 14yrs in the sin bin.

Feel free to add your security events.

Last edited:

nickman

Veteran
Shit at least your ok and you didn’t get walked up on while u were with the plants...!!!...

Shit, 500 plants is a lot. Must be a big ass plot ...!!!... your sure they didn’t spot it and just trying to play it off like they didn’t ...

Be safe bro ...!!!...

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
You have no idea how close it was. lol. No way of knowing for sure if they're watching it. I'm pretty sure they can't let it grow. I think they have to pull it if they find it. But I might be wrong.

I deleted a bit of detail. I set up our convo so that I have a legitimate reason to be in and around the area. He seemed ok with it because he stopped digging. Wish I could say more about it.

Cvh

Supermod
Good that it didn't turn in a serious issue. Do you think they uncovered your grow?

May I ask how you scan for infrared? I suspect you are talking about game/hunting cams being placed with infrared night leds?

troutman

Seed Whore
They are looking for hunters. As long as you don't bring a gun with you or get seen with grow supplies I think
they'll leave you alone. Going in the bush just before light and leaving as soon as possible helps too. If you go
with an anti-hunter stance they'll probably know you're not the one they are looking for. You should have got
a business card from them and tell them that you'll report any hunters to them. :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Cameras can see in the infrared.

Ever have a tv remote control not work and wonder if it's sending a signal? Take your smart phone camera, point the camera at the remote, and press a button. You'll see the infrared light up. I have a traditional 35mm camera with a zoom lens and an LCD screen to scan an area.

Chances are good that motion detection on a trail cam uses a PIR sensor. A good one will also have "hyper passive infrared" sensors that use laser(?) PIR detects heat and activates the IR on the camera. Hyper Passive detect movement. So to detect the IR, you need to unfortunately trigger it. I would only do this at night to make it easier to detect. When you move in, scan the area, move again, scan, ... 20 feet at a time is good. Walk and scan constantly on a trail. If you see it, you can take it, replace the card, all sorts of things. But I wouldn't want them finding out that I found it. I think I'd take the card out hoping they would assume they forgot to put one in. lol. Look at the content to see who owns it, delete my stuff, then replace it after the next visit.

[iframeb]vsSZ3IMUQYE[/iframeb]

Now that i've had this event, I'll use a face scarf, ball cap and a new rain jacket that is stored close to the grow. Not in my vehicle or at home.

I know... pain in the ass.

I'll set up a couple minis of my own on the trail to see if anyone is visiting it.
https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Cam-Camera-Wireless-Hidden/dp/B07K74NNXG

troutman

Seed Whore
May I ask how you scan for infrared? I suspect you are talking about game/hunting cams being placed with infrared night leds?

In the movies they use IR goggles and smoke lots of weed.

When the weed smoke hits the laser beams you can see it with the special goggles. :biggrin:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
They are looking for hunters. As long as you don't bring a gun with you or get seen with grow supplies I think
they'll leave you alone. Going in the bush just before light and leaving as soon as possible helps too. If you go
with an anti-hunter stance they'll probably know you're not the one they are looking for. You should have got
a business card from them and tell them that you'll report any hunters to them. :tiphat:

He gave it to me and I asked where I could complain about hunters in the conservation area. The turkey hunt ends on the 31st, so you may well be right. I'm usually in and out between 4-6, but this time it was after 6. If I would have had my morning coffee like I usually do I would have put it off until the next day.

I should have picked some mushrooms here (there's lots) and brought them with me in case I was caught onsite. Hindsight gives me foresight.

In the movies they use IR goggles and smoke lots of weed.

When the weed smoke hits the laser beams you can see it with the special goggles. :biggrin:
That would help with Hyper Passive. Not so much with PIR (heat).

If I see a camera at harvest time, I'll roll a joint close up and light it for the camera. lol

troutman

Seed Whore
I have a Stealth Cam ZX36NG that has 36 black IR emitters. Black IR doesn't glow like the red ones.
I still have yet to try it out. Think I'll set it up the next time I go out to see what kind of animals walk
near my spot.

Maybe it will catch a pic of a Samsquanch. :laughing:

picture.php

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
had a dec officer behind me after leaving spot one year. got super paranoid for a week after that and switched my tactics up. nothing ever happened he must of just happened to be passing through.

Sunshineinabag

I went out to a site without my morning coffee two hours after I usually do and had a serious security event. Can only go back between 1am and 4am now. So it's a night site now with about 500 plants already in the ground. That's what happens when you don't listen to your gut and you break your own protocols. My morning coffee would have saved me. But maybe it was a blessing in disguise.

Conservation officers had just stopped about 40 feet from my entrance. I suspect that if they were checking it out, the driver would have stopped at a better location. I stopped my truck in front of him, got out and stood so his back was to the entrance and we played 20 questions.
[edit]
The convo started a little belligerent until I swore in french (Tabarnack). He said "Es-tu francophone?" (I thought... got ya!). I spoke to him in french and we eventually talked about his (and mine... I lied) alma mater (french university). French Canadians in Ontario stick together tighter than radical feminists do. lol. So it ended on a cordial note.

I have a few tools and another 40 seedlings sitting in flats that need to go in the ground. I'll have to scan for infrared with my camera before I enter again. I won't enter from that spot either so my walk just went up by 30 minutes.

Because of our conversation, at the very least, I now have a thread of justification for being there if I get nabbed "ripping someone's grow" at harvest time. lol. I don't mind getting nabbed for having more than 30gr on me, that's trivial, but owning the grow can cost up to 14yrs in the sin bin.

Feel free to add your security events.

Je ne se qua nice one!

Sunshineinabag

are you green red dosing yourself ? u got red on it. idk. then like the last part your just saying red not actually living it. so its low value.

Risk 1. Same for all your marijuana.
Risk 2. Same for all our marijuana.

as the cash goes past $10,000 you have a red mark only. then if you tried to low mark ur putting a red mark on yourself that might not get on them. the whole time there just going from the back to make it say something. not really a back of a different story. lol.

You run a higher risk going against the maple syrup syndicate lmao oh I love my frenchy neighbors to the north.......we used to heavily plant in Montgomery.....

Till the Flatlanders came.......now I find the nastiest place for a Flatlanders ..........lol the things I do for security are straight Vermont hillbilly:dance013:

When I was growing up mephramagog was a great place to run a hockey bag or two.....but all these clowns smuggling illegals bring soooo much unnecessary heat to the area.

Gdoggg

I've had this happen to me a few times over the years. If its just Conservation Officers you shouldnt be too worried. However, if the RCMP are also there you might have some bigger problems. The protocol for the COs (at least in my province) is that they notify local law enforcement to take over once the COs are satisfied that a law has been broken.

Was it on Crown land?

troutman

Seed Whore
Is a Conservation Area crown

I say yes. You're closer than me. Go see TrueDope and ask him. :biggrin:

This is why sometimes the MNR will have an OPP officer with them in the same vehicle.
But to search a vehicle the MNR stills needs probable cause that you went fishing or hunting.
Without suspicion that you went fishing or hunting the MNR can't do shit.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You were saved by God, brother! Thanks for sharing! I've had a few of these types of things over the years. Every time God is there, and protects me!

One time I was digging the plots, and some people came walking through the area right by my grow and I laid down in the brush as they passed by within like 50 ft in this valley area! They were just hiking!

I abandoned a plot that was getting into flowering season because after working at the site near the edge of a field for a while with a red headlamp, I saw a pair of quad headlights across the field up a hill at a resident's property! This was late. I thought I saw the quad go down into the field. When I looked from the county road, it looked like they had a tent set up there. Turns out its actually a permanent building. It kind of spooked me off. So I didn't return until January 16.

The plants were still there and weren't even molded! Sweet! Harvested January 16 at 39 N Latitude! Thank you God!

I had a plot get found a few years ago and the couple who moved in were young and they had heard the people who they bought the house from had a son in prison, and had a history of drugs and being theifs. One of the brothers was really cool and liked to hunt. Well they the new family was worried they owners of the plants would come back for them and cause some kind of trouble, so they called the Drug Task Force to report it!

The young lady was still worried they were going to have something happen from whoever's plants they were, so I told her, "You don't have to worry, nobody's coming back for them. Those were actually my plants!"

They were cool with it and said there were still a couple there they didn't destroy if I wanted them. I said, "You can just keep those!

Turns out he used to try to grow, but he was never successful!

They are good neighbors and I felt like they were cool people. I didn't want the mrs. to be worried! I can't believe they reported it! God is with is brothers and sisters! :smoke:

Remember to pray!