What's new

Security camera set-up

igrowone

Veteran
getting back to the OP's original concerns, a basic security setup centered around a PC(maybe)
the simple answer is not to get so confused/fearful about hacking that it stops progress
if the PC has nothing but some security videos of doorways and windows, it's hardly a hacker pot of gold
should be nothing on there that is of any interest to anyone except yourself
take your best shot on configuring a secure setup, if there's chink in it, should not be the end of the world

wilburn

getting back to the OP's original concerns, a basic security setup centered around a PC(maybe)
the simple answer is not to get so confused/fearful about hacking that it stops progress if the PC has nothing but some security videos of doorways and windows, it's hardly a hacker pot of gold
should be nothing on there that is of any interest to anyone except yourself take your best shot on configuring a secure setup, if there's chink in it, should not be the end of the world

To be fair, the OP typed

"I'm assuming the system would need to be run through a computer due to the need for monitoring from inside the building. And I would have to be able to wipe the drive clean of the email addresses in an emergency. Wiping the drive would have to be accomplished remotely probably using some wiping application. I'm wondering if I need to encrypt the transmission of the video...if you guys can point me in the right direction it would be a big help.
There are probably more points to consider than those I've mentioned so far and hopefully we will address them in this thread.
"

When considering remote administration of disk devices and encryption concerns, then all of the data pathways have to be reviewed as well as the personal information that might be exposed. It's not a far leap to extrapolate that the OP has a very real sense of his need to be as private and unobtrusive as possible.

Tackling the disk erasure problem - CrapCleaner can be setup locally to automatically delete files that the OP wants (and many, many more he should) and do so with DoD/NSA recommended protocol. Eraser, the program, is included in the latest versions. Freeware. :)

If he wants to control erasure remotely, he will need to code scripts that he can access from his remote location to launch Eraser or setup his remote machine as a networked device on his local PC. There is good and bad to both of these practices which leads us full swing back to the issue of connectivity between camera and user.

igrowone

Veteran
To be fair, the OP typed

"I'm assuming the system would need to be run through a computer due to the need for monitoring from inside the building. And I would have to be able to wipe the drive clean of the email addresses in an emergency. Wiping the drive would have to be accomplished remotely probably using some wiping application. I'm wondering if I need to encrypt the transmission of the video...if you guys can point me in the right direction it would be a big help.
There are probably more points to consider than those I've mentioned so far and hopefully we will address them in this thread.
"

When considering remote administration of disk devices and encryption concerns, then all of the data pathways have to be reviewed as well as the personal information that might be exposed. It's not a far leap to extrapolate that the OP has a very real sense of his need to be as private and unobtrusive as possible.

Tackling the disk erasure problem - CrapCleaner can be setup locally to automatically delete files that the OP wants (and many, many more he should) and do so with DoD/NSA recommended protocol. Eraser, the program, is included in the latest versions. Freeware. :)

If he wants to control erasure remotely, he will need to code scripts that he can access from his remote location to launch Eraser or setup his remote machine as a networked device on his local PC. There is good and bad to both of these practices which leads us full swing back to the issue of connectivity between camera and user.

the conversation was getting a bit involved technically, and i was guessing that it may be getting a bit intimidating
this is more of a point for OP, but i'd think it would be feasible to have a security system that doesn't need encryption
just have no incriminating data, if possible

wilburn

I could use some advice on setting up a system to monitor a indoor grow-op... I will need an outdoor camera to monitor each entry point (entry doors, overhead doors, windows). I'll assume four cameras. I would need indoor cameras to monitor the inside of the building,assume one or two.
I would need a monitor inside the building to alert me while I am there.The system also needs to alert me when no one is attending the operation. That would probably have to be by email, and it would have to be able to send the alert to two email addresses, along with the video of the alert.
I'm assuming the system would need to be run through a computer due to the need for monitoring from inside the building. And I would have to be able to wipe the drive clean of the email addresses in an emergency. Wiping the drive would have to be accomplished remotely probably using some wiping application. I'm wondering if I need to encrypt the transmission of the video. Probably need infra-red capability on the inside camera('s).
I have no idea what cameras to use, what software to get,etc. If you guys can point me in the right direction it would be a big help.
There are probably more points to consider than those I've mentioned so far and hopefully we will address them in this thread. So come on guys give me a hand please.

Let's summarize this thread but let me start with this disclaimer. What you are attempting to accomplish is a highly technical set of data transmission objectives. You will without a doubt need a professional ITist and a security camera expert who have specific disciplines in this most demanding configuration.

Summary of your best solutions:

• Point to point encryption will require a VPN
  • Setting up a VPN yourself is highly problematic
  • Use an existing, trusted VPN like Cotse
  • Remote administration of data to be erased should reside as program on the camera's computer.
  • For the best security/privacy, Tor must be employed if you connect remotely.

Tough assignment, best of luck to you! :tiphat:

R

RMCG

So please explain connecting to a remote security system via Tor.

Whatever node you come out on ~has~ to get to your system, which is sitting out on the internet. Unless you are going to lock down inbound connections to only Tor nodes (big list) and don't mind your traffic bouncing around Europe, you still have done nothing.

All you did was hide your 'client' location.

You did not address the security of the software or internet connectivity, etc.

Please explain how from your cell phone (even if you had an android with the Tor client) how you can get software such as the one Lazyman posted to work over it.

R

RMCG

Let's summarize this thread but let me start with this disclaimer. What you are attempting to accomplish is a highly technical set of data transmission objectives. You will without a doubt need a professional ITist and a security camera expert who have specific disciplines in this most demanding configuration.

• Remote administration of data to be erased should reside as program on the camera's computer.

Maybe some one should write a step by step for setting up a site to site VPN, maybe throw in a few remote client connections to boot.

Oh wait. Found one.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanw...linksys-rvl200-review-no-hassle-soho--smb-vpn

clienttositevpn2_big.jpg

Pretty sure with some ~basic~ networking skills, the new products that are out there, and a little forum surfing, someone could get it set up without much hassle.

Just like people here are learning and sharing how to grow weed, there are forums that discuss exactly this.

Well, I use Cotse with putty to post on these boards. At least I've got that right.

Was thinking about Eraser,glad you mentioned it. Thought it needed to be on PC at the location.

Probably wouldn't need encryption, just a thought.

Smartphones (2) would be Android based.

Respect bass

wilburn

Well, I use Cotse with putty to post on these boards. At least I've got that right.

They have a new VPN product, cheap $7/mo, might want to check it out. No speed loss. it can be setup to run on boot, autologin, before any of your programs would access the Internet.

Was thinking about Eraser,glad you mentioned it. Thought it needed to be on PC at the location.

If the networking protocol ultimately gets the file written to your networked disk just like a disk would be written on your local computer, then the assumption that the file's contents may be overwritten is valid.

This is a test-and-see issue.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
You dont need anything fancy for perimeter security for your grow site. It would not be wise to have the actual grow be displayed on any of the cameras anyway.

A cheap X10 camera setup would be sufficient to track intruders, and be notified instantly by email on your smart phone (or any mobile phone) with images.

All you need is some robo cams, some motion sensors, and the software to control them.

I use the cam's with a free software called Yawcam. The motion sensors control which cam goes live, and what direction they point in. The software has user and password logins for streaming video, has motion detection for sending the images FTP, E-Mail, files on the computer, etc...... Just about anything you want to do. The cameras come with software that's OK, but I like Yawcam.

Very inexpensive to have perimeter security. Yawcam has a built in web page that's user and password protected, so you can see the current display on the web. If the new smart phones display java in their browsers, then you can use that also for live streaming video.

wilburn

the conversation was getting a bit involved technically, and i was guessing that it may be getting a bit intimidating

True but the OP's inital post requires a highly technical analysis and solution.

this is more of a point for OP, but i'd think it would be feasible to have a security system that doesn't need encryption
just have no incriminating data, if possible

Encryption is the simplest issue for the OP. A reliable third party VPN will handle that and very cheap.

How there is not going to be any incriminating data when he is watching a grow op, now that is quite a trick. :)

igrowone

Veteran
True but the OP's inital post requires a highly technical analysis and solution.

Encryption is the simplest issue for the OP. A reliable third party VPN will handle that and very cheap.

How there is not going to be any incriminating data when he is watching a grow op, now that is quite a trick. :)

encryption is a good thing(usually), just that it can be done a bit later
get your basic system up for a little while, encrypt after if needed

wilburn

encryption is a good thing(usually), just that it can be done a bit later
get your basic system up for a little while, encrypt after if needed

Keep in mind all (un)encrypted data is stored by your ISP, email provider and anyone else who touches the data flow.

Once exposed, always exposed. :tiphat:

If encryption can be achieved through a VPN I can accomplish that easily,I think,through Cotse. I never intended to set up a camera to view the grow. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Is there anything that would be required in the way of software to access the cameras from the cell phones?

Respect bass

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
So if I had a regular DVR-based security system, is there a way to make it stream events in near-realtime to an offsite server, encrypted, and how would my droid know about it when a stream started?

Or do I have to do the PC-based DVR?

pr0metheus

They have a new VPN product, cheap $7/mo, might want to check it out. No speed loss. it can be setup to run on boot, autologin, before any of your programs would access the Internet.

This is a test-and-see issue.

:laughing:

Too bad Cybil got banned. I really wanted to hear how to go about this via Tor...
:tiphat:

sarek

My friend has the older version of this and he is real happy withit. This new version is even better.

I think it is good to differentiate between surviellance and burglar alarms. They overlap tho. Burglar alrms have motion sensors and so do video cameras. But video could be used as evidence in multiple ways. So u may want motion sensors that send a text to a anonymous phone. From there u can log onto video/audio to see what is happening.

I think the logitech system beams the feed to logitech servers so its not point to point IP.
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-security-systems

I am also looking into this system
http://growtronix.com/store/
which has both burglar alrm and video functionality.

Both may be good enough, the nice thing about Logitech is that its a big mfg so I bet the functionality is a good value and they sell lots of these so its not a small little company.

Growtronix IS a small company but his software is pretty sophisticated.

These may not exactly solve your needs but I bet they can getcha pretty close.

space.pussy

I'm not trying to downplay the importance and advantages of having security cameras at the op, obviously they are useful to give you a heads up. But, in case of a raid, wouldn't the 5-0 disconnect the phone line / internet connection?

Set up properly you would receive an alert on your cell phone of the raid,so you could be watching in near real time. Outside cameras would alert you of activity outdoors. After the cops break in you would never want to go back there again. The system has done it's job now you tell it to wipe itself clean not leaving any trace of the program or the connections that have been made to it.

Respect bass