What's new

Secret Ingredient?!?

B

bajangreen

I know a guy that uses herbs like thyme, parsley, marjoram, and soaks them in water until they are dissolved then makes an ACT with that and chicken shit compost. He has good herb.

I like to mix duckweed into the soil i figure its has good bacteria on the roots and the small leaves brake down like a slow release fertilizer.

Water from a fish pond filter.

My recent toy is Lato bacteria is keeps the organic smell way down.

B

bajangreen

"Organic" has a smell where as Chemicals don't. Processing most organic stuff makes smells in my observations, Act's, compost, manure. If you don't know what i am talking about you don't know organics.

Seandawg

"Organic" has a smell where as Chemicals don't. Processing most organic stuff makes smells in my observations, Act's, compost, manure. If you don't know what i am talking about you don't know organics.

Wow!?!
I dont know organics?
Dude, i think i really need to reassess what im doing then...

Thanks for the heads up!

B

BlueJayWay

Wow, hehe, Shit man you've created a beast of a thread Seandawg :D hehe,

GOOD TIMES all

peace :canabis:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots out there--here are few tidbits--

In this study the distribution of uranium, which is one of the radioactive elements present in phosphate fertilizers was investigated in different steps of the triple superphosphate (TSP) production process. The uranium in phosphate rock, phosphoric acid, phosphogypsum and TSP was extracted into the organic phase by using the TOPO extraction method. The uranium contents of these materials were determined by measuring the absorbance of the formed (pH 7.6) uranyl bromo-PADAP [uranyl(2-(5-bromo-2-pyridylazo)-5-diethylaminophenol)] complex solutions at 574 nm against blank. It was found that 50% of the uranium is dissolved in the acid during the production of phosphoric acid while the remainder is precipitated with phosphogypsum residue. The observations showed that in the second step, the sum of uranium in phosphate rock and phosphoric acid completely passed into TSP in the TSP manufacturing process.

source: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/226146312_Distribution_of_uranium_in_the_production_of_triple_superphosphate_%28TSP%29_fertilizer_and_phosphoric_acid

Also, if you research sources of uranium--end production of fertilizer processing as a contributor. Here is the link to this study, Uranium Fuel as Byproduct of Phosphate Fertilizer Production-- https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mragheb/www/Uranium%20Fuel%20as%20byproduct%20of%20phosphate%20fertlilizer%20%20production.pdf

For a crazy but informative read...check out this Scientific American, Jan 2010 article. http://www.briannarego.com/RegoSciAm2011.pdf It discusses tobacco, fertilizer, leaf content, cancer and polonium 210...lets just say, and since tobacco and cannabis are both smoked, this one paragraph kinda made me sit up a bit--

Researchers at the U.S. Department of Agriculture took up the
question of polonium from fertilizer. A 1966 experiment by the
USDA and the Atomic Energy Commission tested two different
kinds of fertilizers, a commercial “superphosphate” one and a special
mix made from chemically pure calcium phosphate. The differences
were remarkable. The commercial fertilizer had about 13
times more radium 226 than the special mix, resulting in nearly
seven times more polonium in the leaves

You might say...I approach phosphates with respect now and question if "organic" phosphates are the safest--maybe "organic" is not always "best", everytime.:ying:

I'll read the links but off the top of my head in reality only white dry processed phosphorus fertilizer had lower radioactive levels. I wrote a detailed thread on this subject some time around a year ago.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=226560&highlight=phosphorus

Last edited:

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Organic smell?

Im curious, what does "organic" smell like?
You mean besides the obvious factors of age and/or her commitment to a regular personal hygiene program?

Her place of residence can be a factor - living in Butt Crack, Arkansas takes its toll on everyone

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Frank...thanks for the info on magnesium sulfate and bacteria. Wanna laff, check this out!
Bacterial growth at the high concentrations of magnesium sulfate found in martian soils....only on Mars! LOL....
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22248384
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/08/120809151324.htm

Yep...usage in moderation is most important; excess of anything can upset the balance-especially the delicate microherd.
My dosage of 5ml per gallon 1x a week should be satisfactory--which I mix with my other salt, component Sea90.

B

bajangreen

Does any one know if Lato-Bacteria has an effect on sooty mold or African snails? Them Two problems got me lick up.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Does any one know if Lato-Bacteria has an effect on sooty mold or African snails? Them Two problems got me lick up.
I've never seen a lacto concoction that had any effect on pathogenic fungi - especially Powdery Mildew

The lacto crowd make a lot of claims which are always fascinating and sometimes even interesting with big notes in fantasy land.

Watch. Read. Be amused.

Then order organic neem or karanja oil from Neem Resource

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
I've never seen a lacto concoction that had any effect on pathogenic fungi - especially Powdery Mildew

The lacto crowd make a lot of claims which are always fascinating and sometimes even interesting with big notes in fantasy land.

Watch. Read. Be amused.

Then order organic neem or karanja oil from Neem Resource

You are making this too easy....Clack!

Efficacy of fresh cow milk was tested in five greenhouse experiments against powdery mildew (Sphaerotheca fuliginea) on zucchini squash (Cucurbita pepo). Plants were sprayed with milk at 5, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50%, either once or twice a week. Additional treatments were fungicides (fenarimol 0.1 ml/l or benomyl 0.1 g/l) applied once a week and water as a control treatment. Severity of powdery mildew was visually evaluated on individual leaves at weekly intervals and scored as percentage of leaf area infected for infected leaves. A negative correlation was found between infected leaf area per infected leaf and milk concentration sprayed on plants for the five experiments. High concentrations of milk were more effective than the conventional fungicides tested. This study demonstrated that milk is an effective alternative for the control of powdery mildew in organic agriculture.

Cow milk may have more than one mode of action in controlling zucchini squash powdery mildew. Fresh milk may have a direct effect against S. fuliginea due to its germicidal properties (Salle, 1954). Milk contains several salts and amino-acids (Martins Filho, 1987). These substances have been shown to be effective in controlling powdery mildew and other diseases (Reuveni et al, 1993/1995; Mucharromah and Kuc, 1991; Titone et al, 1997; Pasini et al, 1997). Several authors have shown that sodium bicarbonate, oxalate, dibasic or tribasic potassium phosphate, and other salts and amino-acids have been efficient in the induction of systemic resistance (Reuveni et al, 1993/1995; Mucharromah and Kuc, 1991; Titone et al, 1997; Pasini et al, 1997; van Andel, 1966). Therefore milk may also indirectly affect S. fuliginea by inducing systemic resistance.

Milk is not a potential environmental or food contaminant, consequently it can be used in organic agriculture. Several organic growers have been spraying 5% cow milk once a week to control powdery mildew on zucchini squash and cucumber.

bettiol.gif

http://www.agrar.de/agenda/bettiol.htm

Soooo....Got Milk?

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
lacto bacillus

Which Raw Milk has--

Beneficial Bacteria

Through the process of fermentation, several strains of bacteria naturally present or added later (Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc and Pediococcus, to name a few) can transform milk into an even more digestible food. (57)

With high levels of lactic acid, numerous enzymes and increased vitamin content, 'soured' or fermented dairy products like yogurt and kefir (made with bacteria and yeast, actually) provide a plethora of health benefits for the savvy people who eat them. (58) Being acid lovers, these helpful little critters make it safely through the stomach's acid environment to reach the intestines where they really begin to work their magic (59) (Above right, Lactobacillus casei).

lactobacillus-caseiMED.jpg

Source and easy reading--http://www.raw-milk-facts.com/raw_milk_health_benefits.html

For a more scientific read (you will need more than a few fatties for this one)--Characterization and Antibacterial Activity of Bacteriocin Producing Lactobacillus Isolated from Raw Cattle Milk Sample http://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/ijb/article/view/11174/7894

I know, I know, I know...another argument for Raw Milk. I apologize to those that may be lactose intolerant.

For a nice pro/con presentation on Raw Milk...http://milk.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000806

M

MrSterling

Raw milk isn't easily available to most people, even those of us in rural areas. It's benefits are moot if I have to go out of my way and pay extra.

Eclipse, I feel like you must be trolling. You're too much like a walking parody of every stereotype chem growers believe about organics.

Latest posts

Latest posts