What's new

Sealed hydrohut w/ vertical octagon?

hey guys!
i've been looking into vertical growing for a while, as well as growing in a sealed room w/ full co2. well the other day i ran into this system, and it looks fairely promising.

http://www.octagonhydroponics.com/contact_form.html

i talked to the owner of the company that manufactures these systems for quite a while, trying to figure out all of the normal bugs that plague this system and vertical gardeners alike. btw if you go the the url page i'm talking about the system on the bottom that is enclosed in the 4' x 4' hydrohut. the hydrogon runs off of 3 600 watt hps, and on that particular sys there's 24" of space between the plant site and aircooled vertitube. i was told that keeping temps in check is no prob due to the effectiveness of the cool tube. however, i would be running it as a sealed system. so the bottom of the vertitube would be connected to 6" duct running just outside the hydrohut into a cooler part of the basement. the inline fan would probably be connected to the top of the vertitube and ducted out. so basically the only air being exchanged in the sys would be that going through the cool tubes. i would then plug in my fuzzy logic co2 controller, and run a completely sealed room. the 70 gallon res would be seated outside of the hut w/ a h20 chiller keeping temps at 60 degrees. one constant thought is humidity problems. i would think that with the full co2 optimizing photosynthesis i would run into a whole lot of transpiration. the unit only has 1.5" of open space available on each side between the system and hut. would it be a credible idea to cut a square hole into one of the sides of the hydrohut to insert the face of a dehumidifier? of course the dehumidifier would have to be sealed perfectly to the hut. also, i'm worried about the root zone, because the sys will be operated as a flood and drain, and do not want the roots to suffer due to heat building up in the pvc. sorry about the long rambeling on, but this is a subject i am very passionate about. does anyone have experiance w/ this exact model? supposedly they've been selling like hot cakes, but that came from a person who would have a biased view. so to wrap it up.....
a- what could one do about humidity in the hydrohut while still keeping it sealed?
b- what could one do about the pvc to keep the root zones from becoming too hot? ie some sort of material to keep it insulated.

i know that this was a good bit of reading, so thanks for everyone who stuck it out! thanks in advance for any and all helpful suggestions!!

nice plan you got there.
yeah..that system does look promising..
I would probably go nft because I've heard it gets better yield...

pico

Veteran
My advice is to stay away from CO2 on this project. You are going to run in to too many problems along the way and not have the space to deal with them.

You can't just stick the face of a dehumidifier in the room. The face of my unit sucks in the room air and then it blows out hot dehumidified air out the back. The whole dehumidifier needs to be in the hydrohut, or you need a lung room.

Oh and you will need an air conditioner for sure. 1800w in a hydrohut is going to get hot quick with no venting. Even with aircooled lighting.

Stay away from a sealed room. If you decide to use CO2 at all, you are going to want to go with a tank and regulator system instead of a burner. I usually reccomend the burners but you will have heat issues. Still aircool your lighting, but also have an exaust that turns on if temp/humidity get too high. Green Air CT-DH-3P is a decent temp/humidity controller for CO2 setups.

G

I totally agree with pico,and before I'd spend nearly 2 grand on a setup I'd have to see it in practical use,no question.The lack of any room concerns me,changes always are made to setups afterwards to maximize things,but this means having a bit of physical space to work with.I'm not hydro just doit so I dont know about heat builup in pvc and how humid an environment you'll have,but dehumidification during flower is going to be necessary undoubtedly,but they didnt seem to plan for this.I would definately want to see one in action before I'd shell out a couple grand.I can get over 2 gallons of water in 14 hours over a dark period,and thats in an 8 by 8 so yea,you must have dehumidification

iLuv2BlAzE

lol

lol

dude if u really think about it u can build that stuff for like 200 tops with pumps and aLL. r u kidding me LoL and yea man they do work check out on this site the vertical grows there all amazing and promising
its like u waste no light and the overlapping of the lights is what gives more available lumens to the plant

Latest posts

Latest posts