What's new

SCROG - When to start it and for how long to do it?

GrayZone

The strain is Serious Kush, a serious indica. Very short space between internodes and according to Simon of Serious Seeds, they don't stretch much in flowering. They're under 150w HPS, so I can keep that little bulb pretty close to the canopy. I won't top them, LST them, or train them in any way before introducing the net. Seems like a waste of time as I'm gonna train them anyway later on. I started with clones, so the steam is already strong enough to withhold bending. Right now they have 3 internodes.

I did LST before and I know that the SCROG-idea is pretty much the same as LST.

But as I never SCROG-ed before, I'm not sure when(what size the plants should be) to introduce the net?

I was thinking of letting them grow to about 20cm or 5-6 internodes, whatever comes first. Then I'd introduce the net and start tucking them under it.
So would that size work? What's your experience in that regard?

After that, the idea is to continue tucking the tip to promote lateral growth, which I'd also tuck in. Here I'm not sure should I keep tucking those lateral branches until they start to develop off-shots of their own? Would they grow off-shoots that could then grow upwards and form buds?

I know you're supposed to fill up the net with the canopy, just not sure what's the most efficient way to do that.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The strain is Serious Kush, a serious indica. Very short space between internodes and according to Simon of Serious Seeds, they don't stretch much in flowering. They're under 150w HPS, so I can keep that little bulb pretty close to the canopy. I won't top them, LST them, or train them in any way before introducing the net. Seems like a waste of time as I'm gonna train them anyway later on. I started with clones, so the steam is already strong enough to withhold bending. Right now they have 3 internodes.

But as I never SCROG-ed before, I'm not sure when(what size the plants should be) to introduce the net?

I was thinking of letting them grow to about 20cm or 5-6 internodes, whatever comes first. Then I'd introduce the net and start tucking them under it.

After that, the idea is to continue tucking the tip to promote lateral growth, which I'd also tuck in. Here I'm not sure should I keep tucking those lateral branches until they start to develop off-shots of their own? Would they grow off-shoots that could then grow upwards and form buds?

I know you're supposed to fill up the net with the canopy, just not sure what's the most efficient way to do that.
One should start right before the plants fall over or sag to keep the plants upright. If you know your strain it will be easier to know.

ChemDogLover

When I use to scrog, about 8-10” then tucked under the screen til the end

Last edited:

ChemDogLover

As you tuck in branches, do they grow off-shots of their own, which then turn into buds? Or do you just at a point leave the branches to eventually grow vertically?
Every branch will have off shoots that turn into buds and more branching. Just keep tucking and/or tying down to the screen until the stretch stops. You’ll end up with a mini forest of buds

Attachments

• IMG_0931.jpeg
    IMG_0931.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0929.jpeg
    IMG_0929.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 70

GrayZone

Every branch will have off shoots that turn into buds and more branching. Just keep tucking and/or tying down to the screen until the stretch stops. You’ll end up with a mini forest of buds

Exactly, that was my idea. Thanks for confirming.

It takes time but it should be well worth it, especially considering my light, a weak-ass 150w HPS bulb. Wanna keep them short and even.

In your experience, for how long do you keep them in veg, for an optimal result?
The plants are heavily on the indica side. According to Serious Seeds and the guy I got the clones from, the 12/12 stretching is minimal.
I think it will take at least 2ish weeks before the screen is filled enough to switch to 12/12...

ChemDogLover

Exactly, that was my idea. Thanks for confirming.

It takes time but it should be well worth it, especially considering my light, a weak-ass 150w HPS bulb. Wanna keep them short and even.

In your experience, for how long do you keep them in veg, for an optimal result?
The plants are heavily on the indica side. According to Serious Seeds and the guy I got the clones from, the 12/12 stretching is minimal.
I think it will take at least 2ish weeks before the screen is filled enough to switch to 12/12...
I always flipped mine about screen height. Any where between 8” and 12” tall

GrayZone

Started with training on Tuesday. They are doing really well, quite a vigorous strain. Took them just two days under the net for me to be like, man I better switch them soon to 12/12, before things get overgrown :biggrin:

According to SeriousSeeds, they don't stretch much, but still having a tiny space like this, it's probably for the best to make the switch soon. I'm thinking Monday. With this rate of growth, that 2ish weeks of stretching should fill up the net fully and I'll see some vertical growth too, as the space is limited for extensive horizontal growth.

Thoughts anyone? @ChemDogLover ?

IMG_20231102_092516.jpg IMG_20231102_092545.jpg IMG_20231102_092654.jpg

GasD

Looks okay so far need some more height to really start training then the way you want. I like to wind the stems around the lines of the net. This encourages bud sites to grow into the open space of the squares.

I'm running purple bubba another 100% indica and I flipped the lights when my net was about 70-75% full. The stretch will flesh the rest of the space out.

Be sure to trim everything below net level as you go. If you wait to long its one hell of a chore. Lying on your back under a scrog net doesn't feel great.

Other than that good luck. It gets better each time. Take notes. My canopies still aren't as even as I'd like but they get better each time. I won't be completely satisfied with it until I can completely fill the net and have little to no light beneath it.