What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scrog, harvest individual branches or hang whole?

bobert

Hey guys, the title says it all.

This is my first scrog grow. In my past grows I chopped the whole plant and let it dry out like that and then trimmed.

I'm a couple weeks away from harvest so I'm just looking for advice from someone with a little experience on their scrog harvests.

The screen I'm using is plastic coated metal that I'd like to reuse so cutting each square would be a waste and time consuming.

Should I hang the whole plant with the screen, or chop the branches individually?

RB56

Veteran
I cut the branches so they can be removed from the screen and fish them through. I hand string my screens and use 2-3 screens for each grow. Don't want to cut them.

Speed of green

Depending on the climate I will cut the branches smaller or larger, as long as they are all uniform in size then they should dry evenly.

I'm in a dry climate and nothing sucks worse than having a couple small branches turn to dust before you get to trim them.

bobert

Thanks for the advice.

The humidity in my drying area is pretty low so I think I'll cut the branches long and wait to trim once it dries.

Since the screen is somewhat heavy I could imagine it might bruise the buds if I hang the whole plant upside-down with the screen.

bobert

I appreciate your reply.

In my past non-scrog grows I would cut individual branches and trim wet but had problems with my stuff turning out with a hay smell that I couldn't get rid of regardless of the cure. But I was able to fix that once I started hanging the ladies whole and trimming dry. I'm assuming because the humidity was too low.

I'd like to hang the whole thing because that turns out the best smelling.

If anyone has any experience with hanging the whole plant with the screen, or sees any problems with doing so please chime in.

Thanks

bobert

The screen is 4x3.5. The plant is about 3.5ft tall, I vegged a little too long and is now over grown and unmanageable

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I appreciate your reply.

In my past non-scrog grows I would cut individual branches and trim wet but had problems with my stuff turning out with a hay smell that I couldn't get rid of regardless of the cure. But I was able to fix that once I started hanging the ladies whole and trimming dry. I'm assuming because the humidity was too low.
It was low humidity. You want 55% RH and 65-70F, because the slower you can dry (without mold), the danker your end product will be.

I wet trim branches cut to a manageable size (in 70F temps) and then hang. I haven't had a "wet-hay" smell with my cannabis in nearly 10 years. ;)

S

sourpuss

trim wet then Hang to dry is the best way. Means you gotta break it down and not hang the whole plant. Then destem and dry. Dry trims seem to be more painful and slow. Seems more resin is lost when handled dry.

Havent seen difference between wet or dry trim in terms of smell. Only when its dried to quickly.

bobert

It was low humidity. You want 55% RH and 65-70F, because the slower you can dry (without mold), the danker your end product will be.

I wet trim branches cut to a manageable size (in 70F temps) and then hang. I haven't had a "wet-hay" smell with my cannabis in nearly 10 years. ;)

I appreciate you sharing your experience, 10 years is quite an achievement!!

I'll try to keep my temps/RH within the parameters you posted.

I usually have a small computer fan blowing in the drying area, not directly on the plant just so there's no stagnant air. Do you think this might have contributed to it having a hay type smell?

Thanks

trim wet then Hang to dry is the best way. Means you gotta break it down and not hang the whole plant. Then destem and dry. Dry trims seem to be more painful and slow. Seems more resin is lost when handled dry.

Havent seen difference between wet or dry trim in terms of smell. Only when its dried to quickly.

Thanks for the help.

My most recent grow I trimmed dry one plant for around 20hrs, it was very fluffy so that didn't help. Definitely painful and slow like you said.

As long as my humidity is in check I'll probably trim wet just because of the extra time dry trimming takes.

Speed of green

The screen is 4x3.5. The plant is about 3.5ft tall, I vegged a little too long and is now over grown and unmanageable

i would split it into fourths leaving as much stem on as possible, and drop the rh to 55-60. once most of the mass has dried out and youre out of the woods mold wise you can let it rise back up a little.

once it goes below 55% the cure will stop. and whatever it smells like it will stay like that.

normally the first week it will smell like hay/grass, then around day 10 till whenever you trim it it will reek.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
If i end up cutting branches instead of whole plant, i put them into 5 gal buckets with lid,until i can trim for jars. Burp the bucket just like the jars.

bobert

i would split it into fourths leaving as much stem on as possible, and drop the rh to 55-60. once most of the mass has dried out and youre out of the woods mold wise you can let it rise back up a little.

once it goes below 55% the cure will stop. and whatever it smells like it will stay like that.

normally the first week it will smell like hay/grass, then around day 10 till whenever you trim it it will reek.

I appreciate your advice.

Sounds like a good idea splitting it into 4ths. At least with my experience, it usually turns out better leaving more material to have a nice long slow dry.

But if I do it that way I'll have to trim dry which takes forever.

Hmm, I'm having a hard time making up my mind

If i end up cutting branches instead of whole plant, i put them into 5 gal buckets with lid,until i can trim for jars. Burp the bucket just like the jars.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

That's interesting I've never heard of anyone doing it that way. Have you had any trouble with mold or anything?

I would think leaving it wet and untrimmed in a bucket might lock in a hay smell also, almost compared to jarring too early.

I have an extra 5gal laying around so I might do some experimenting.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I use the buckets to buy time. I rough trim and put them in the buckets when they are ready to jar, but i don't have time to do it right. They don't go in too wet or dry.i still leave as much stem as i can to help moderate the drying . I had to go out of town recently to work,so jaring can wait untill
I get back.
Peace

bobert

I don't let fans blow on my hanging harvest; whether whole plants or branches..

I appreciate your reply.

No fans at all while drying?

I have a pretty large drying room but it's completely enclosed so I usually have a small computer fan going.
Never blowing directly on the plant/branches.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
A small computer fan probably won't hurt, but as long as you can keep the RH about 45 to 60% around your buds, I would prefer no air movement to blow the smells away...