What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Scoring in Jozi. Memorable moments.

Damn, the scoring in Johannesburg thread has just reminded me of the weirdest score situation ever.
As a kid, I used to catch a train through to Johannesburg, generally to hit the underground raves in the early years and such...
So, we are tripping our tits off as we get into Johannesburg central, and the clown who was tasked with handling the cannabis realises he has forgotten it.

Now, this isn't really a problem as such, as you can score with relative ease. But it is a supply and demand situation and the only place that we knew of to score immediately was the hotdog vendor outside "The Doors", and he would supply ready rolled for a pretty penny. Now my hard earned cash was supposed to see me through a solid weekend of non stop raving. And that becomes a serious problem with the prices.
Anyhow, we were pissed and start our walk to the Carlton Centre to see if we could hook up, and the walk takes us past the supreme court, and down Eloff street.
Now Eloff street was where the bums would congregate at night. I got a bright idea to ask a bum. Everyone said bullshit, it won't work... It did. He took us to a hostel which in itself is a nerve wracking situation for most of us, but we had the God of Cannabis on our side and a head full of acid.

This bum tells us, ten bucks, plus a finder's fee. So we reckon ok, only if we can see the goods. now seeing the goods requires two of us going into a hostel. We're kids.
SWAT trained cops wouldn't even go in without a riot reaction unit, but we need to score. So I go in, with my best friend, we're both tripping so what the fuck do we care? We meet Jabulani the man who sells the smoke.
He shows us the gear, and it is good slightly compressed but still fucking top quality. So I agree there and then.
Sorted.
I hand over the Ten and he proceeds to pour the remainder of the contents of a hessian bag into a large CLEAR plastic bag. Only he pours and pours until he pours it all. I look around and these bags are stacked to the roof. This man had the goods to spare.
He hands over this bag. Both of us kept our mouths shut, I shoved it under my coat and my mate sorts the bum out with his finder's fee (5 bucks for those that care - It was worth it). We book outside, and then began to worry. You see... This was a large amount of cannabis, and if we're caught the cops aren't just going to let us go.

How we got around that was another story altogether, but it was a serious situation. :D
Ah well, we stayed stoned for many months after that, and the weight of the goods when we got back home? 2.5Kgs. When we packed it tight and wrapped the bag around it, it was the size of two loaves of bread side by side.

Good times!

It taught me several very valuable lessons. Never pass up the opportunity to score. Never play it too cool or too good to go to lengths other people wouldn't, and always sort your finder out. If that bum had his head screwed on, and used that five bucks there he could have made a pretty penny. Who knows? :D
Oh, and the number one thing I learned? Never leave the cannabis up to someone else to handle. Do it yourself.

--
Only this year, I met someone who told me he scores off this bloke in the hostels who isn't shy with the amounts. This is how I got to find out his name was Jabulani.
Still around after 15 years. Good on him.

afropips

Hey, Hey, The Doors.
I was there new years eve setting off Rockets off the roof one year.
We were all Raving on Pink Floyd the wall blotters & enjoying plenty necks
on the upstairs patio & causing general mayem with firewoks in the club.
Aahh The Folly of Youth! lol.

Those were the days of Cocaine Dillinger & Jimmy & John In New York:-
I say Can you spell New York, A knife, a fork, a bottle & a cork
thats the way you spell New York, Right On.
I got Cocaine Running Around My Brain, Cocaine!

Used to Enjoy the pool tables , the chicks & all the other
wierd shit that went down with the Jol to Joburg.

I never used the trains & Jabus is a good mate.
So What's available there these days & for what price?
Is it more lax now than then?

Cool Runnings.........

Last edited:

getafix

My first club experience was at The Doors. It was 1994/3 and The Mission had a gig there. Very weird for a St 8 laaitjie....

Don't know much about scoring in Jozi. Except taking the Corlett offramp off the M1 going into Sandton centre's direction. There is a Shell filling station where we often got good stuff.

I'm a Pretoria, or Centurion/Verwoerdburg, ex-citizen and we didn't really do jo'burg. I had a Mozambican friend who lived in Mamelodi named Emidio. He travelled to Moz often picking up Morrocan black, red and gold seal, Afghan hash, Swazi, Swazi skunk, Rooibaard and other goodies.

I remember buying kilos of hash for R400-800, kilos of sinsemilla big heads(loose) for R300-600 and brick for R200-500. I also made some extra pocket money and never really layed out much cash for weed, seeing that the stuff was in such a high demand (excuse the pun) :canabis:

Emidio is gone now, AIDS got him :badday: . It was always loads of fun going to his place and and listning to his Mozambican passada music. Never thought I would be living in his country. But now I am and I love their music and culture.

There was a bit of a hash drought, but it's back now. Swaziland is also just next door :yummy:

getafix said:
My first club experience was at The Doors. It was 1994/3 and The Mission had a gig there. Very weird for a St 8 laaitjie....

Don't know much about scoring in Jozi. Except taking the Corlett offramp off the M1 going into Sandton centre's direction. There is a Shell filling station where we often got good stuff.

I'm a Pretoria, or Centurion/Verwoerdburg, ex-citizen and we didn't really do jo'burg. I had a Mozambican friend who lived in Mamelodi named Emidio. He travelled to Moz often picking up Morrocan black, red and gold seal, Afghan hash, Swazi, Swazi skunk, Rooibaard and other goodies.

I remember buying kilos of hash for R400-800, kilos of sinsemilla big heads(loose) for R300-600 and brick for R200-500. I also made some extra pocket money and never really layed out much cash for weed, seeing that the stuff was in such a high demand (excuse the pun) :canabis:

Emidio is gone now, AIDS got him :badday: . It was always loads of fun going to his place and and listning to his Mozambican passada music. Never thought I would be living in his country. But now I am and I love their music and culture.

There was a bit of a hash drought, but it's back now. Swaziland is also just next door :yummy:

I was there (your first doors experience)... A mate of mine needed someone to drive. I did get to meet that Hussey fella, as he was a friend of a friend.
He was absolutely wankered. How he played I'll never know.

As for Hash, I generally make my own, but if there is any afghan going around, I won't say no. Maroc is ok. I find by time it gets to us it is half sawdust and snuff.

R

Ronley

I missed the Doors, Left JHB in '87.

Whats with Rocky street in Yeoville?

afropips said:
Hey, Hey, The Doors.
I was there new years eve setting off Rockets off the roof one year.
We were all Raving on Pink Floyd the wall blotters & enjoying plenty necks
on the upstairs patio & causing general mayem with firewoks in the club.
Aahh The Folly of Youth! lol.

Those were the days of Cocaine Dillinger & Jimmy & John In New York:-
I say Can you spell New York, A knife, a fork, a bottle & a cork
thats the way you spell New York, Right On.
I got Cocaine Running Around My Brain, Cocaine!

Used to Enjoy the pool tables , the chicks & all the other
wierd shit that went down with the Jol to Joburg.

I never used the trains & Jabus is a good mate.
So What's available there these days & for what price?
Is it more lax now than then?

Cool Runnings.........

I was never really into the doors. I was more of an electro person.
I'd hop clubs chatting to mates. First Pumpers to see my girlfriend, then down past the dance club that always changed names... Genesis is the only name I remember. Then to The Doors for happy hour with my girlfriend, and off to whatever warehouse rave was happening.

As for what is available, well nowadays the world is caught in the grip of a meth epidemic, which is totally sad, but good smoke is always available.
For exotic stuff I pay up to 180 for a bankie, and decent local gear up to 80 for a well stuffed bankie.
Anything else, is of not interest to me as I grow cacti, and my mate gets free shrooms.

getafix

Raves

Raves

96-99 were the golden years for raves in SA :dance: , especially JHB. We had so much fun candyflipping and the likes!

Mothers, spermanator and many many more. All the "famous" djs coming (Oaky, van Dyk etc) I should have listed the events down, my memory is a bit shot. But I know it was loads of fun!

Often ending up in ESP on sundays and Nexus later that evening. That after the weekend started at DNA (our favorite club in Pretoria, where we went every friday) and a rave the prior saturday night...

Those were good times :friends: :violin:

:D
Raves from 91 - around 97 were awesome. Underground and wild.
There were lock downs as well which were non stop weekends of amphetamine fuelled frenzy.

My first time in Northern California i was by myself looking for some herb and I asked a bum who ended up knowing a guy who hooked me up. Bums kick ass.

Shaman

getafix

No offence intended OS :redface: . Just, interested in knowing if ppl around the world know where Jozi is. It's Johannesburg, South Africa by the way.

I apoligise if you felt offended :smile: