What's new

Scientist Types, help me get shard

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The chart is quite wrong on several entries. Including THC like several others as I've pointed out and laughed at here before, but the one that jumped out at me was b-sitosterol, so I looked it up. It does not boil at 134C since according to the Merck Index it doesn't even melt until 140C.

So, I would suggest reference material written by people with half a clue.

Boiling points under reduced pressure are never published in any way without the pressure notation, except for/by stoners.

KiefSweat

Veteran
The chart is quite wrong on several entries. Including THC like several others as I've pointed out and laughed at here before, but the one that jumped out at me was b-sitosterol, so I looked it up. It does not boil at 134C since according to the Merck Index it doesn't even melt until 140C.

So, I would suggest reference material written by people with half a clue.

Boiling points under reduced pressure are never published in any way without the pressure notation, except for/by stoners.

That chart is from ElSohly's Marijuana and the cannabinoids
you find me a better reference.
er edit, the one in ElShohly's book is different, but thats from one of his colleagues, I'll get a copy of the other one its got some more useful info for this conversation.

KiefSweat

Veteran
% of some of the terpenes in prob skunk1 oil, i need to see what the source used was.

Attachments

• eo1.jpg
    eo1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 6
  • eo2.jpg
    eo2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 6
  • eo3.jpg
    eo3.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 7
  • eo4.jpg
    eo4.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 7
  • eo5.jpg
    eo5.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7
  • eo6.jpg
    eo6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
  • eo7.jpg
    eo7.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 6

pip313

That first chart is nice and all but I asked for melting point not boiling point. I can research boiling points easy enough.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
That first chart is from McPartland and Russo. My feelings about Russo have already been said.

The sign on the boiling point cells on top, that is not explained in the jpeg but is in the original:
§ Boiling/melting points(MP) recorded at atmospheric pressure (760mmHg) unless otherise noted; values obtained from various sources, primarily Buckingham, 1992; Guenther, 1948; Parry, 1918; and Mechoulam (personal communication, April 2001)

Bullshit. Obvious bullshit.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Does the strain used play any role here?? I have made normal BHO where I did a long purge until I had no bubbles. The oil was of a darker color witch never got hard. I still have a few dram viles of it. I have not touched it for arround 8 months. I just looked at it and its like a thick dark honey consistency.

KiefSweat

Veteran
i've noticed even with 40/50% decarboxilated oils you can still get amber solids, but fully decarboxilated oils will be slightly runny.

I've got ambers that are 6months old that are still pretty solid.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The picture nags at me. I wonder if it's a 500 ml FBF or is it an RBF in a bath or WTF so yeah. A mantle would be best. Anti-bumping/superheating measures are unseen. Arranging the glassware shown in a different way, and doing all the other little things, would lead to a better separation. But has anyone posted a simple distillation here even.

pip313

I've tried distilling, do you know the right condenser temp? My flasks are mostly rbf so I can do vacuum. And it is a water bath I won't waste the money on a mantle.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Condensing needs for simple distillation are made obvious by the condensation in it, or the vacuum adapter, receiver... I like everything condensed in the first half of the condenser, at least when the area ventilation is subpar. If a vacuum source needs more protection, it can get its own condenser.

In this case with a water bath, some terpenes would come over and cold water would be fine. If the bath water was replaced with IDK, brake fluid, then I'd turn off the condenser water but not drain it. Ideally you'd want an air condenser. It's hard to tell, but it looks like a standard West in the picture. Where things condense will depend on how much vapor there is at what temperature. Draining may be needed.

A $50-100 mantle and controller was suggested because most people trying to distill THC would see this as a trivial expense.

pip313

Expense is irreverent I use a water bath to keep under 100c. My vacuum allows distillation at under 100.

As far as terpenes my everclear tastes like galaxy god bud, lol. Terpenes get lost at every stage almost so I accept that. Guess what though myrcene is in hops essential oil and you can buy hemp flower essential oil so replacing terpenes becomes easy and you can make consistant flavors with a single resin source. Combine that with isomerization and you can make "sativa" oil from indica plants. yay glassware and time to start growing hops and no i'm not kidding myrcene is almost as important as thc its the "magic" terpene that adds to the high.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
My vacuum allows distillation at under 100.

Only of the lighter terpenes. Steam distillation at atmospheric pressure would give the same result if not better (the heavier terpenes will also come eventually) and might be faster. If the temperature is kept under 80C, THCA will remain that way while some of the more volatile components leave.

Then you can compare the effects of your terpene-free extract with some that you added the terpenes to, and see how much effect terpenes really have.

That would apparently be more than what e.g. Russo has done.

pip313

No, thc comes over under 100c 25 micron vacuum is no joke

to be clear the pic is of ethanol removal so there is no pump on it in the pic I only used one to purge at the end

myrcene is proven on its own to produce cannabis like effects there is no reason for me to doubt it

in this thread I wish to discuss purification, readulteration i'll create a new thread for

G.O. Joe

Veteran
No, thc comes over under 100c 25 micron vacuum is no joke

You will not get to .025 mm. I doubt you could get that with a completely empty system.
The bp of d9-THC in the 100 micron area is 170-175C, as I've been hinting.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
People doing vacuum distillations often get horrible bumping, frothing, and superheating. Things may leave the boiling flask, but it isn't always distillation.

BTW if anyone has been looking at the chemistry literature on THC but has been stopped by a paywall, I already have most English-language organic chemistry journal articles, and patents (which are free), where THC or CBD was distilled, some derivative was made, some extraction was done, pretty much everything. Name the journal and page, and it can most likely be posted without much trouble.

Latest posts

Latest posts